Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 PM

132 posts, read 206,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Good for you. I love traveling too. Have been overseas on three separate trips, have been to at least half the states, and home to do more overseas travel in the coming years. Glad you're happy in New York.

A lot of people have a love hate relationship with where they're from, and I think we have in common is that we're both from regions that get a fair amount of hype. I feel about Chicago(land) the way you do about SoCal and LA. That its full of people mesmerized and by the larger than life edifices, locals who seemingly have never left and assume there's nothing else out there.

I love my family, and do enjoy going back for visits, and look forward to coming home, but I just find the boosterism insufferable. I know theres a lot unique about, but to me Chicago(land) might as well be interchangeable with Metro Detroit and Greater Toronto.

So I understand where you're coming from.
Many thanks,

I respect your POV where you decide to settle in the US or globe for that matter. Sorry if I got too carried away on this thread & others about how LA & SoCal can be misleading. Since we're both travelers to seek knowledge on this planet of various cultural continents. Yes I love NYC, but I know that there are other places to live & visit all over the globe. You're correct, "DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS."

This is what I meant when I meet people from LA, who are EDUCATED within their professional fields to have this climate/flaky elitism. My experience when I meet educated people within their professional fields from NYC, CHI, BOS, Philly, DC, MIN-STP, or TO to have major city pride. However, they want to travel & see other places around the world in order to gain cultural wisdom. This is why many major global cities criticize LA to have this insular & shallow mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 AM

16 posts, read 17,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You sound silly, those are 3 of the most urban, vibrant, walkable, and structurally dense cities in the country. LA is like a small country, too massive to even determine when the limits end because much of it looks the same. Which is why most people from the East don't see it as a "real city" where people walk to the corner store and hop on the train before going to work. It's like going to Disney World or something. Plus it doesn't even have 4 seasons!
Not having 4 seasons is an odd reason to not really consider a city a "real" city And when you take into account that L.A. is more dense than all of those cities - and the fact that you said they were the "most urban, vibrant, walkable, and structurally dense", which would mean they were more urban, vibrant, walkable, and dense than even NYC - structurally or not, it becomes a little odder still. And, if you consider walking to the corner store before hopping on a train to go to work "real", then it's even odder still that you wouldn't consider L.A. a "real" city, since by those criteria alone, it's as "real", if not more "real", than half of the cities that were listed; it may not have the most miles of rail out of any of them (even though it's home to the busiest light rail line in the country), but it does have the largest bus system (yes, even larger than NYC) and more people in the county have access to buses than in any other city (yes, even more than NYC).

Not liking a city is fine and all, but trying to judge any city as being "real" or "fake" seems like an experiment in failure, as it's always based on vapidity and personal conjecture, and never once holds up against any city. There always seem to be exceptions to the rule - which is fine and all, on a personal level, but it is when others attempt to project their criteria on to you that this is generally...silly

Old 01-08-2014, 12:19 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCIFER#666 View Post
LA is "FAKE" b/c of its high % population to be very artificial & flaky. When a person arranges a plan to meet up with someone at a certain date, place, & time; therefore, he/she expects this person to be there. Unless he/she contacts his/her meeting to be a little delayed ahead of time then it is fine. However, when this person flakes out & he/she doesn't show up at all then this is very inconsiderate. The person spends his/her day, money, & time to arrange this meeting in order to make it happen. This is one of the reasons why LA is "FAKE" due to poor time mgmt.

YES, unfortunately the Hollywood culture didn't help to portray this image. Sadly this is how out of towners will feel very disappointed when they visit LA. The glitz & glamour is not what it is cracked up to be unimpressive. You will see LA's true gritty & ugliness.

Oh I forgot to text here about how LA folks are not "CULTURED" to be defined as "KNOWLEDGE & WISDOM." Those stereotypical LA folks "DON'T CARE" to be defined again as "LAID BACK" of what is going on around the globe, or have a philosophical conversation. It seems for them to be self-centered with their superficial celebrity status, multiple plastic surgeries, road rage, or too busy to be stuck in traffic, etc.
So your friends bailed on you a lot, and you apparently got stood up more than once. I don't see how out of towners will be affected by this.

I think the only thing "fake" is that it's not like people see on TV in real life. And that is "fake" on purpose.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Los Angeles is the realest city I know.

The city I live in now has far more fake elements than LA has (JMO).

Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethwulf_Zero View Post
Not having 4 seasons is an odd reason to not really consider a city a "real" city And when you take into account that L.A. is more dense than all of those cities - and the fact that you said they were the "most urban, vibrant, walkable, and structurally dense", which would mean they were more urban, vibrant, walkable, and dense than even NYC - structurally or not, it becomes a little odder still. And, if you consider walking to the corner store before hopping on a train to go to work "real", then it's even odder still that you wouldn't consider L.A. a "real" city, since by those criteria alone, it's as "real", if not more "real", than half of the cities that were listed; it may not have the most miles of rail out of any of them (even though it's home to the busiest light rail line in the country), but it does have the largest bus system (yes, even larger than NYC) and more people in the county have access to buses than in any other city (yes, even more than NYC).

Not liking a city is fine and all, but trying to judge any city as being "real" or "fake" seems like an experiment in failure, as it's always based on vapidity and personal conjecture, and never once holds up against any city. There always seem to be exceptions to the rule - which is fine and all, on a personal level, but it is when others attempt to project their criteria on to you that this is generally...silly
Guess you're a Denver transplant from LA? You must miss the nice dry-warm climate of SoCal? Oh what happened? The minus-freeze climate is taking a toll on you? I LOVE how these warm climate people ***** & complain about it!

Please watch the YouTube video that I posted here on this thread on page 26.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Los Angeles is the realest city I know.

The city I live in now has far more fake elements than LA has (JMO).
Okay you're another Denver transplant from LA. How is the weather treating you? What is wrong? The minus-cold temperature is getting to you? I LOVE how the warm-climate people ***** & complain about it. Such it up & have guts! Guess you were able to see other cities not to be like Tinseltown aka LA?

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 01-08-2014 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: discussing moderation

Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
So your friends bailed on you a lot, and you apparently got stood up more than once. I don't see how out of towners will be affected by this.
Negative,

These people that I met in LA are not my friends, but if they were I wouldn't make my critical statements on this thread. How LA people can be very "FAKE & FLAKY" at the same time. If they weren't then maybe I wouldn't be very harsh on them. YES, you're correct, how I was stood up many times by these shallow characters. Again, you're inaccurate, how out of towners will be affected by it. Please read very carefully again on my prior comment when people are suppose to plan & meet up at a specific place & time w/o flaking out.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Okay you're another Denver transplant from LA. How is the weather treating you? What is wrong? The minus-cold temperature is getting to you? I LOVE how the warm-climate people ***** & complain about it. Such it up & have guts! Guess you were able to see other cities not to be like Tinseltown aka LA?

Moderator cut: see note
Don't make assumptions.

I love the weather here. Nothing is wrong. I hate warm climates. Below zero temperatures only suck if they go on for too long (which they don't, here), otherwise, I have no problem remembering that I'd rather have that (even while in the thick of it) than 90's-100s.

I do prefer the overall culture of LA to Denver's. Denver is just Broncos, weed, snow sports, and stuff yuppies like. LA has enough culture to satisfy anybody's thirst for it.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Don't make assumptions.

I love the weather here. Nothing is wrong. I hate warm climates. Below zero temperatures only suck if they go on for too long (which they don't, here), otherwise, I have no problem remembering that I'd rather have that (even while in the thick of it) than 90's-100s.

I do prefer the overall culture of LA to Denver's. Denver is just Broncos, weed, snow sports, and stuff yuppies like. LA has enough culture to satisfy anybody's thirst for it.
Okay fair enough, but what you texted here for Denver & LA to be no different. You can state that LA is just Lakers, weed, beaches, & stuff yuppies like too.

Last edited by LUCIFER#666; 01-08-2014 at 02:29 AM..

Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 AM

16 posts, read 17,162 times
Quote:
Guess you're a Denver transplant from LA? You must miss the nice dry-warm climate of SoCal? Oh what happened? The minus-freeze climate is taking a toll on you? I LOVE how these warm climate people ***** & complain about it!

Please watch the YouTube video that I posted here on this thread on page 26.
It's actually been rather fun for me because I get to see what it's like outside of L.A.

The only reason I'm in Denver is to go to college, for Game Art I could've gone to a school in CA for something similar, I suppose, but it would have cost much more, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles