Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 01:02 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Move to the East Coast if you want to experience real .
That is right...people with real substance back east like these:

Jersey Shore (TV Series) | Season 1 Episodes | MTV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 01:23 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
Clearly you have no experience outside of Los Angeles, or fail to appreciate urban culture. I can walk for miles in any of the aforementioned cities, including Kitchener, believe it or not, and not hit a dead end. Wasn't the same when I was in LA. You're driving more than half the time, anywhere you go. How urban is that?
Why are you guys still fixated on the town I live in? When did I bring that up? I made a rebuttle to an irrelevant comment and that was it. Sad that those are the standards you're comparing LA to.
Oh, New York is a lot more than the financial district. It's a major art and education center, as well as the universal political capital of the world, as well as a major food capital, etc.
Be honest with yourself, LA is a one dimensional city. I am not being any more unfair than anyone else who notices that.
You are a ridiculous person. There's no point in discussing this with you.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You are a ridiculous person. There's no point in discussing this with you.
I disagree. I think we're all indebted to Gordon Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. Not only was it authentic Canuck gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:29 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I disagree. I think we're all indebted to Gordon Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. Not only was it authentic Canuck gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
No doubt inspired by Blazing Saddles.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 05-25-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
That is right...people with real substance back east like these:

Jersey Shore (TV Series) | Season 1 Episodes | MTV
New York's suburbs are even more real then most of what LA offers.

The only real places in Los Angeles area is Long Beach and East LA.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:29 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post

LA get's a bad rap for being low ise and spread out. because LA was developed along with the rise in popularity of the automobile, we don't have the typical setup as you see on the east coast of the US or in europe. because of this, people often say that LA isn't a real city.
I suspect that this has a lot to do with it.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Quote:

Says the person who has most likely never lots of time in Los Angeles.

For someone who doesn't like Los Angeles, you sure do spend a lot of time in the forum. Your obsession with our city is strange.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 PM

317 posts, read 403,753 times
This entire thread of people bickering about what city is "real" just proves that everyone is "fake" anywhere you go. So much stereotyping and generalizations based off of misconstrued facts.

How the hell is a "wannabe" actor from LA any more fake than some "wannabe" banker from NYC. LA is somehow fake because of the riches glitz and glamour yet the rich on the east wear suits on 90 degree days in the summer, same thing, different area. Dumbest thread.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:11 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
L.A. is too commercial and less urban. There is no real urban culture there like there is in London, New York, Tokyo, Chicago, Toronto, etc. If the entertainment industry didn't exist I doubt that Los Angeles would, and that fact alone makes it weak as a city. Also, the aggressive, obtrusive, commercialization makes it seem very artificial, like you're in Legoland or something. I imagine there aren't many residential streets where you have to look very far until you see a massive billboard advertising some generic product.

Also, the public transportation there sucks, and the city is too spread out. A real city is a city you can get lost in, and L.A. just seems too cheap and simplistic to do that. Just follow the billboards to where you need to be.
What does your first sentence mean? For that matter, what does your second sentence mean? Can't a place be both commercial and urban?

Your third sentence is silly. Los Angeles existed before the entertainment industry existed here, and has a lot more going for it than just that. It has the second-busiest port in the country and a whole host of industries--it is NOT a one-act town as Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Cleveland (to name a few) were back in the mid-twentieth century.

Your fourth is just off also. Try driving down Pico from Western to Sepulveda as I did earlier this month and then tell me it seems like Legoland. IT DOESN'T. I realize that is but one street of the city but it passes through quite a cross-section of LA.

So what about the billboards? And they are not generic, nope. The ones I saw were created by those folks who KNEW the areas they placed them in and what languages are spoken there (yup, lots in Spanish) and what the people might want to buy.

Your next two sentences (won't even bother with the last statement) make no sense. Public transportation here does not suck, and your assertion that LA is too spread out but yet is not real enough to get yourself lost in....well, it would be EASIER to get lost in LA SINCE it is so spread out. And how is something so spread out "cheap and simplistic"?

Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:

Oh, ok, so I guess I grew up in fakeland--tell that to all the people where I grew up in Whittier and La Habra, and all the ones around me in La Mirada now....it will be news to them.

Yeah, I know La Habra is Orange County, but that's news to a few people too, and I figure "close enough".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles