Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:17 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
I lived back east for 4 years, Washington DC, and although I enjoyed my time there, I thought people were rather rude and caught up in their own day to day hectic lives. During my time there I'd regularly catch the train to New York City. A whole different crowd. I thought we Angelino's were always trying to "keep up with the Joneses." Boy was i wrong. I think that line definitely applies to New Yorker's living in Manhattan. They're an interesting bunch, but i wouldn't call them friendly.

I think in LA we take time out to enjoy life. You can't say that about most east coast cites because life can be a struggle, especially during the harsh winter months. I suppose some people would opine it builds character.
And maybe it does, but it also wears on you.

Aside from the traffic, which in many respects isn't much worse than most east coast cities, folks in SoCal live life to the fullest. And we have an array of options, from the mountains to the beach and all points in between. Are we fake? Nah, just happy to live in a place with great weather year round that makes us the envy of folks living outside of California. So by all means, keep hating on us, because we love it !!!
I can think of several other things to build character rather than harsh weather . But I guess they gotta come up with something to explain their crappy weather .

It seems even after a lifetime of living in those climates people still don't get used to it .

It's so common to hear people that moved to CA Or Florida later on in life say "I had to get out of the cold!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 09:44 PM

216 posts, read 200,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I can think of several other things to build character rather than harsh weather . But I guess they gotta come up with something to explain their crappy weather .

It seems even after a lifetime of living in those climates people still don't get used to it .

It's so common to hear people that moved to CA Or Florida later on in life say "I had to get out of the cold!"
Yes, Florida and California are full of east coast transplants, and so much has to do with the weather. LA has it's problems for sure, but I'd rather live in a warm climate with problems than in a cold climate with problems. It can get pretty hot in the summer but for the most part weather never stops us from doing just about anything we want. I'm a shorts and T-shirt guy, so I fit right in to the California scene.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 PM

216 posts, read 200,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well said.

I went back to NY(where I am from) in 2014. Wouldn't live there or the east coast if you paid me. People are much ruder and seem to be way more stressed.

I have always found most people(and especially natives) to be friendly.

I remember in being in NJ on Saturday morning outside NYC in a supermarket parking lot and people are honking horns like crazy. Can't ever recall that at Vons or Ralphs even when they're crowded.

No thanks.....LOL.
I love the Northeast, it's so different and interesting compared to the California scene. But I like wearing shorts and T-shirts year round. So unless global warming really kicks in, I'm staying put

Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Los Santos

Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
I love the Northeast, it's so different and interesting compared to the California scene. But I like wearing shorts and T-shirts year round. So unless global warming really kicks in, I'm staying put
I love the northeast in the fall for about 7 to 10 days, than I have had enough with the people...LOL.

Life is too short to have to deal with rude, abrupt, and always in a hurry all the time.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

LOL..that's exactly it. An excuse for their weather.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
yet another know-nothing from elsewhere who thinks he understands los angeles, but in actuality has no clue.
In other words, a New Yawker.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:14 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
LA is easily defend-able in many controversial topics, but for this one, I'll agree.

We have a lot of fake-it-till-you-make-it types. I mean every city has them...but in LA the fakers are abundant. Every Joe Blow is the coolest person back in their hometown of Whoknowswhere OH just because they moved to an Alpha city. But they don't seem to realize a LA club full of Joe Blows is just a faux-cool ego circle j3rk.

As a transplant myself, I do my best to stay humble and assimilate. *pats self on back*

Old 06-23-2017, 07:22 AM
IKM

37 posts, read 48,966 times
New York! Manhattan is as real as you get!!!

Old 06-24-2017, 01:24 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girbaud King View Post
Who the hell has dreams of moving to Philadelphia or Boston? Because the fat slobs are so real?
It's the kind of "nice to visit, wouldn't live there" type of places. That region might be fun to visit in the summer, but the weather is unbearable from October/November to March/April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles