Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 PM

150 posts, read 467,731 times

Advertisements

One of the major complaints I hear frequently concerning Los Angeles is that it is "fake" or "plastic". What does this mean, really? And if this is the case, then what city would be the antithesis of L.A.? What city do you people who feel L.A. is fake do you think is the most "real" or genuine, and by what standard do you measure this?

I don't mean this to be inflammatory, I'm just honestly a bit confused by it and would like to open up a discourse as to what it really means.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Annoying grammar note: When you quote a word within a sentence that is followed by punctuation it goes within the quotation marks. I.e: If L.A. is "fake" then what cities are "real?"

Okay, sorry... haha

Interesting discussion but sadly I think it will turn into a flame war. The way I think of it more 'real' cities are cities wherein the incentive to move is pretty low - so often a city with a bad rap that is misunderstood is a little more 'real' or genuine to me.

Examples in MY experience have been cities like Oakland, CA; Cleveland, OH. Those two really come to mind most to me. (Again, just my experiences. The people seem very, very genuine.)

Examples of cities that I've experienced a great deal of rather fake people usually break down to the neighborhoods and not necessarily exclusive to cities as a whole, but L.A. comes to mind, San Francisco, and certain neighborhoods of NYC and Boston really come to mind.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Annoying grammar note: When you quote a word within a sentence that is followed by punctuation it goes within the quotation marks. I.e: If L.A. is "fake" then what cities are "real?"
I am 99% certain that the original poster's title is correct and the question mark belongs outside the quotation marks. If the quote is a question, then the question mark belongs inside the quote. If the sentence is a question which uses a word in quotes as the original poster wrote, then the question mark belongs outside of the quotes.

Correct: She asked, "Will you still be my friend?"

Correct: Do you agree with the saying, "All's fair in love and war"?

Quotation Marks

Quotation Marks | Punctuation Rules

Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Examples in MY experience have been cities like Oakland, CA;
Of which Gertrude Stein wrote "there is no there there".

Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
New York City
Boston
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Chicago
Detroit

Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM

76 posts, read 242,566 times
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Chicago
NOT Boston. Boston is an awful mix of stuffy preps and meatheads. Not "real"
Real people don't put up with cities like Oakland and Detroit, period.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Chicago
NOT Boston. Boston is an awful mix of stuffy preps and meatheads. Not "real"
Real people don't put up with cities like Oakland and Detroit, period.
Boston IS REAL. You know who I did not put up? New Jersey. THEY are the meatheads. Not Bostonites. Bostonites are just rude. And with good reason. It's freezing friggin cold half the year. Oakland is so/so. I think lots of crazy people live there. Detroit IS real. They just had an unfortunate economy. But the people are real.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Everyone has own definition of "real" vs "fake"....doubt any group of even 100 people is all "real" or "fake", let alone 18MM or 38MM or 300MM people

IMO, those who legally earn own income in a freely competitive business and pay their legally owed taxes should be free to consume or save or invest their money as they please....isn't that American economic freedom and capitalism?

Doubt that anyone largely depending upon taxpayer subsidies: poor folks or union workers or government employees or small business owners (if evading taxes and/or employing illegals) or companies that depend upon corporate welfare or taxpayer bailouts to compete (like Detroit's crappy car mfrs)...are "real", despite their sanctimonious, class warfare/jealousy-oriented claims

Always be wary of cities or people or companies claiming to be "real" or "family" or "American" or "union"...or any other sanctimonious claim to avoid cold economic logic of any reasonable consumer or investor trying to find best values in QOL or goods or services or investments

Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 PM

150 posts, read 467,731 times
But what is it really that you consider to be real about the people in those cities as compared to L.A.? I've never been to the west coast and haven't really traveled much, I'm just curious about what all the "I hate L.A. because it's so fake" hate is about.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:20 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
But what is it really that you consider to be real about the people in those cities as compared to L.A.? I've never been to the west coast and haven't really traveled much, I'm just curious about what all the "I hate L.A. because it's so fake" hate is about.
people call LA fake because of Hollywood. although not so much anymore, LA used to be the capital of plastic surgery. it still is to an extent (thank you Heidi Montag), but from my experiences, it's more popular with old people getting face lifts than young women getting boob jobs.

also, LA get's a bad rap for being low ise and spread out. geographically, LA is a huge place! it's not easy to get around the city and our freeways cities are notoriously congested. because LA was developed along with the rise in popularity of the automobile, we don't have the typical setup as you see on the east coast of the US or in europe. because of this, people often say that LA isn't a real city. part of what made LA so popular through the early parts of the last century was that it wasn't built like a traditional city, so go figure. so we're not traditional per say, but we do have a mayor, a city hall, and city limits just like any other city. we also have a plan to extend our subway, so we're becoming more traditional very slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles