Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times

Advertisements

I'm not from LA, but I would say that rents for apartments close to the beach would rarely ever fluctuate downward, except for perhaps super-short term leases in Fall and Winter (November thru February). Just my experience in other beach towns. And this part of the country doesn't experience the complete winter shutdown that places I'm familiar with do (Gulf Coast, North and South Carolina coasts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 AM

7 posts, read 14,419 times
I know that where I grew up (Southern NJ), if you start renting in the winter months, you will get a cheaper rent and as long as you are on a lease they cannot raise your rent come summer.

I figured it might not go down much considering it isn't a full shut down, but thought it might for the apartments that are rented out by vacationers.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
most beach communities have high rent. some places do 9 month leases and in the summer the rent goes even higher, but for the most part, rent is the same year round(high). and it will be expensive the closer you get to the beach.
if you are working in commerce. i would suggest living along the 605, closer to the seal beach/ bolsa chica area. but be warned, the areas are more sleepy suburban. if you want a more pedestrian, hip vibe, then look into long beach. the beaches arent that nice, but that still wont leave you too far from commerce. and you can also always take a combo of metro train and bus from LB to COM.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 AM

237 posts, read 668,777 times
Rents for places at or near the beach are always high and in high demand. Check with your offices in Commerce if they participate in the shuttle program to takes employees to and from the Commerce Metrolink station.

I don't really see an efficient way to commute by transit from LB to Commerce as the Commerce station is served ONLY by Northbound trains in the morning (from OC to LA) and ONLY southbound trains (from LA to OC)in the afternoon rush. There is no reverse service for the Commerce station that the other stations have. Commerce is not well-served by MTA bus or other transit buses.

Please consider the horrible drive from some of the suggested cites. It could make you miserable, and the 5 that runs right through Commerce is among the WORST. We glide over it on the Metrolink trains and it is always a horrid mess. Frankly, the Commerce location is bad for the kind of housing you are looking for, and much of the surrounding communities are NOT really safe to walk during the day, let along at night. However, if you can handle the drive, then have your desires fit for commuting by car. Your post suggested that you preferred some kind of transit option. Frankly, for Commerce, Metrolink is, practically speaking, your ONLY transit option.

If you do feel you need the transit option, then ocean communities of OC are your best and easiest commute by one Metrolink train, if the times are good for our work schedule.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 14,419 times
Oh no, I dont mind driving. I just have heard that traffic in California is just as bad as traffic in Manhattan, so I figured that public transit would be a better way of getting around. (other than the fact of high gas prices)

I will have to check the best options for transportation from the station to the warehouse with my company. (Its on Washington Blvd, don't know if that is helpful.)

If my s/o and I move, it wont be for a while, but thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM

237 posts, read 668,777 times
If you do prefer the South Bay cities as you beach community, then you could board the Metro (MTA) Green Line LRT in Redondo Beach or other nearby station to the terminus at Norwalk. At Norwalk, board a bus (they run about with 15 minute headway, I think) for a 2 1/2 mile, or, depending on traffic, 10 minute ride to the Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs Metrolilnk station and board the Metrolink north to Commerce station. The do the same backward to head home. Your monthly Metrolink pass is good for all the connections, so no extra fare to be paid.

You must understand the it isn't only the traffic on the freeways, it is the DISTANCES invlolved. No, it is not really Manhattan style traffic, as many of the street here run pretty well and our the secret to decent car commuting can be the commute route of choice over the freeways, but streets are not always a viable option from one point to another. That leaves you the freeways, and they are choked for MILES and MILES and MILES. It could take you HOURS to get from the South Bay to Commerce or from OC to Commerce or the westside to Commerce. Please consider that. You may hate yourself in you box yourself into a drive only option of a commute. I know some who have quit (in better economies) their jobs and find employment closer to home or better commute rather than deal with the awful drive.
Good luck. Some people won't even consider a job in a place where they can't commute to well (in better economies) it is THAT BAD! LA is not city and country, it is one big massive URBAN BLOB that never ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles