Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:38 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times

Advertisements

Desirable land in Brentwood (or Beverly Hills) costs some $10MM/acre....far more expensive than anywhere else in US that matters....

Older houses in CA tend to be dubious in terms of resistance to any major earthquake.....thus, most smart buyers buy a house situated on a desirable, quake-resistant piece of land; tear it down; and design and build a new, latest-tech house that is likely far more quake-resistant, aesthetically pleasing and comfortable....

Need to also factor in almost mandatory private schools at some $30K/yr/kid....(public schools in most of CA are fairly unsafe and inept)

Agree, Brentwood weather and air quality are some of best in world....but not dissimilar to stuff one finds in affluent suburbs in SiliconValley (Woodside or LosAltosHills) at far lower costs of land....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 09:01 PM

9 posts, read 16,354 times
I can give a detailed description of Brentwood in two words, Cha-Ching, unless your a CEO, forget it. I used to do a lot of electrical work there, at the end of the day I just reeked of money, didnt have any, and, couldnt even wash it off. It's disgusting.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 8,575 times
What a relief! I will be relocating to this area in the first week of 09 from NY. My impression of this area is exactly as you described it to be.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
Your description hits the nail on the head. If you do come this way, no need to change your dress, just bring you. There are many types. If you run into a snob, chances are they are going through a divorce or just not a long term local--LOL.

Come and enjoy. The place will elevate your attitude to want to be the best you can be, not you elevating through dress. That is one thing that makes it so amazing when you are here you just feel special. I think that brings out the best in each person in their own way. No matter who you are or where you come from. Sounds like PollyAnna, sure, but I stand behind it 100% and I am very hard to please.

Are there snobs and people who are unfriendly? Absolutely. But overtime as you start talking to people or just use the good manners, hopefully you have been raised with and blow off the jerks for the insecure props they are you will see how very happy everyone is to have a piece of such a great and also very private, but energetic community.
Thanks for your post. I am really looking forward to moving there and I hope that I can transition smoothly.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM

Would you mind passing along the info on your manicurist?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 AM

531 posts, read 499,966 times
Funny....WE All seem to forget what did happen there a few years back at the Brown residence,.....But...I guess that can happen anywhere can't it.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I don't know why people think Californians are rude, specifically Angelenos. It's all the NYers and other people from New England that come here to start a new life or try something new and bring that same rude, bitter, know-it-all, snobby attitude to SoCal.
Not limited to east coast transplants....many people who have no business living in california and they come from all States. Including a cousin of mine from Chicago. (I am not from Chicago, by the way)

Same goes for the native Californian's that relocate to the north, midwest and east coast. Other states have the same problems from what I can see.

It's not where they live, its who they are. Not all, but enough to get noticed.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:34 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach_Fla View Post
Funny....WE All seem to forget what did happen there a few years back at the Brown residence,.....But...I guess that can happen anywhere can't it.
I think it does happen everywhere. Including Florida.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Not limited to east coast transplants....many people who have no business living in california and they come from all States. Including a cousin of mine from Chicago. (I am not from Chicago, by the way)

Same goes for the native Californian's that relocate to the north, midwest and east coast. Other states have the same problems from what I can see.

It's not where they live, its who they are. Not all, but enough to get noticed.
That's right! Moving is simply geographics, we take our demons within. There's good and bad in everyone. I think change is healthy and helps put things in perspective. Makes you appreciative and not take things for granted.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:32 AM

147 posts, read 383,369 times
You have to be filthy rich or totally insane to move to Brentwood.

Maybe a little bit of both.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles