Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,383 times

Advertisements

We currently live in a Dallas suburb but my husband has a job opportunity in the Los Angeles area that we are considering.

Pertinent facts: We have a 2 year old kid, a dog (must have yard) and we hope to get pregnant with #2 soon. I'm a SAHM so we will need activities and things to do while the hubby works. I'd also like to meet other SAHM and get involved in playgroups. We don't know a single person in LA, let alone the state of California. I'm a nervous nelly and am very concerned about safety. I've lived in Texas my whole life and the thought of living in CA terrifies me. We love running, biking and other outdoor activities. Schools are also a big concern as our kiddo will be school age in 2-3 years. We are also involved in our church here and would be looking for a church home ASAP (non denominational).

Financial info: His salary will be somewhere in the $140K-150K range. He will be working near LA County Hospital and may have a client out towards Ontario. We will most likely rent until our home here sells and until we get comfortable in CA. We have no debt (once our house sells of course).

What are some good areas for us to look at when we take our first visit? Will that salary be enough to live comfortably in the LA area? I can go back to work (CPA) but really don't want to and definitely wouldn't while we get settled out there.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 05:59 PM

787 posts, read 1,941,956 times
South Pasadena and Pasadena.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 PM

SoCal - I read on another thread here that the public schools in Pasadena are pretty bad. Thoughts?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:06 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Considering the work location and client as far east as San Bernardino county, I think you ought to consider the San Gabriel valley. Pasadena\ San Marino\ Arcadia, etc would all be convenient to the county hospital and out to Ontario [though keep in mind that Ontario is some distance away and traffic time must always be a factor]. Outdoor living and activities are year-round due to a warmer winter and cooler summer than Dallas.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCaggie View Post
SoCal - I read on another thread here that the public schools in Pasadena are pretty bad. Thoughts?

I do NOT have kids...so I don't want to give incorrect info.

That said, I do know that SOUTH PASADENA has VERY GOOD public schools. I think Pasadena's public schools have a much more mixed record. How good or bad I can't say for sure.

Both are very nice cities with much to offer a young family and pretty well located for your husband's job.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 PM

Based on 2009 numbers the City of Dallas had a HIGHER murder rate than the City of Los Angeles.

Dallas: 13 murders per 100,000 residents
Los Angeles: 8.2 murders per 100,000 residents

Both cities have seen crime rates fall to "safe" levels not seen in decades...so the trend is GOOD in both places.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:33 PM

SoCal - I don't doubt that Dallas has a higher murder rate. I think it's the whole "devil you know vs. the one you don't". We live in the suburbs of Dallas, I've been here my whole life and I'm so familiar that I know what areas to avoid when I do go into the "city". Because I'm so uninformed about and unfamiliar with Los Angeles, I tend to generalize and base my fears on the few shows I've seen, reports I've read, etc. Oh, and the whole fear of the unknown thing.

Cal Sur - Traffic is a consideration of course. His commute now is about an hour each way and if he takes the new job, he will most likely work from home 2 days and at his various clients 3 days. How long do you think it would take to get from Pasadena area to Ontario during rush hour?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,689 times
I'm currently living in Houston but spent the mid and late 80s in Covina. Real nice at least back then and almost exactly halfway between Ontario and E LA. Good schools too. Pretty inexpensive for a safe part of SoCal. Had a real nice old-fashioned small town western downtown with shops and small cafes. You could forget you were in the middle of LA county! Almost felt like Cut-n-Shoot Texas. well almost!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
SoCal - I don't doubt that Dallas has a higher murder rate. I think it's the whole "devil you know vs. the one you don't". We live in the suburbs of Dallas, I've been here my whole life and I'm so familiar that I know what areas to avoid when I do go into the "city". Because I'm so uninformed about and unfamiliar with Los Angeles, I tend to generalize and base my fears on the few shows I've seen, reports I've read, etc. Oh, and the whole fear of the unknown thing.
I understand....moving to a new area is always a challenge. You are doing the smart thing and researching ahead of time. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Quote:

Cal Sur - Traffic is a consideration of course. His commute now is about an hour each way and if he takes the new job, he will most likely work from home 2 days and at his various clients 3 days. How long do you think it would take to get from Pasadena area to Ontario during rush hour?
To tell you truth, I wouldn't even want to predict but it is likely longer than an hour. But keep in mind that Ontario is east of LA and morning traffic is heavy coming into the city and the opposite in the evening. So someone living in Los Angeles\ San Gabriel valley would be going in the opposite direction of the heavy traffic. Also the extension of the 210 freeway has helped a lot. One poster suggested Covina and that would be almost halfway between the county hospital and Ontario. Places like San Dimas\ Glendora\ Diamond Bar are nice communities. But the drive from Pasadena\ South Pasadena, etc. to the county hospital is convenient since Huntington Blvd into El Sereno and East LA is not nearly as long as the Pasadena\110 and Golden State\Interstate 5 freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles