U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,999 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Los Angeles and need good advice on neighborhoods and schools. We don't know LA at all, but I would prefer a nice, family-friendly, relatively clean and safe neighborhood/town that is no more than a 30-60 minute drive to work on most days. Will likely rent for a year or two before looking to buy.

My office will be at 333 South Grand Avenue (the Wells Fargo building) in downtown LA. How long would the commute from Pasadena (which I have heard good things about)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 AM

77,803 posts, read 95,734,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batesaj View Post
My family and I are relocating to Los Angeles and need good advice on neighborhoods and schools. We don't know LA at all, but I would prefer a nice, family-friendly, relatively clean and safe neighborhood/town that is no more than a 30-60 minute drive to work on most days. Will likely rent for a year or two before looking to buy.

My office will be at 333 South Grand Avenue (the Wells Fargo building) in downtown LA. How long would the commute from Pasadena (which I have heard good things about)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
there are many parts of Pasadena that are absolutely awesome, but when you talk schools, that might be a different story, depending on the age of your children...

How many children do you have, what are their ages and what is your housing allowance going to be like? This will determine what you can afford. Another great area is So Pasadena which would be within the 30-40 min commute. Even Eagle Rock might work, again depending on the particular school and your price range.

Nita

Old 07-06-2010, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,999 times
Would prefer not to pay more than $3k-3500 per month in rent (about what I pay on my mortgage in NYC suburbs currently). Our one school-age daughter will be going into kindergarten (the other is just turning 2). Thanks

Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM

8 posts, read 21,991 times
We lived in the LA area for many years and really enjoyed Santa Clarita (north of LA). Within Santa Clarita, Stevenson Ranch (where we lived) and Valencia are very nice, family friendly, suburbs - newer than Pasadena, lots of young families. There are some top notch schools there. I am not sure how long it would take to commute to downtown LA but it is not uncommon for Santa Clarita residents to do that.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:44 AM

32 posts, read 83,518 times
arewemoving, I'm a So.Cal native. I would say to stay away from Santa Clarita just based on the commute time into downtown. It will be an atrocious commute on the best of days. If there's an accident, bad weather or a holiday weekend, forget about it.

We currently live in Pasadena and we love it. It is a wonderful place to live. Very small-town feel with big city benefits. We joke that our neighborhood is like Mayberry. Our kids run back and forth to the neighbors, we all know each other, yearly block parties and Halloween is a serious event with over 500 trick or treaters. It is a fantastic place to live. However, in my opinion, the public schools in Pasadena are terrible, even the ones people say are good. Those "good" schools may have high API scores but I question the depth and breadth of the education they provide. I hear a lot of those schools spend a great deal of time and energy teaching for those tests. So we have our two young elementary children in private school. But if public school is a requirement for you, then look at La Canada, South Pasadena and San Marino. If you decide for Pasadena, then be aware there are some bad areas and try to find a place south of the 134/210. North of the freeway there are some nice neighborhoods but a few blocks can make a difference and you need to be mindful of that.

Other areas you might consider are: Glendale, Eagle Rock, mid-Wilshire area/Miracle Mile/Hancock Park, Los Feliz, Sherman Oaks, Toluca Lake. These areas are all within your drive times for downtown and offer alternate routes to get there in case of a bad freeway day. As for the public schools there, you would have to do more research, as the people we know in those areas attend private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles