U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:13 PM

107 posts, read 183,577 times

Advertisements

What's this area like? I found a couple housing listings, but they are pretty cheap compared to other areas of the westside that I've looked at... is the MM area safe? Maybe these are scams?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 PM

7,195 posts, read 20,738,821 times
it's a really nice and happening neighborhood, although there are some crummy neighborhoods nearby. try to stay north of wilshire, but i you can't, avoid living south of olympic.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 AM

938 posts, read 3,898,904 times
In case you haven't noticed, BRinSM, south of Olympic is largely middle class (those who live in apartments), and upper middle class whites (those who live in homes). I'd hardly call a safe, desirable and sought-after (and surprisingly, well-integrated) area with numerous $800,000+ homes "crummy," but then again, that's just me. Sure, maybe the schools are a wreck, but isn't that typical of many nabes in this city?

The nabes south of Olympic and north of Pico, deserve far more credit than you giving them. Photos of such areas: prettyugly.: Strollin'

Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM

122 posts, read 506,444 times
Miracle Mile is nice- you have LACMA (better then the Getty in terms of visiting exhibits in my opinion), the tarpits, El Rey Theater, among other great venues close by. South of Wilshire is still nice, great old homes and apartments. You have the Carthay neighborhood, Little Ethiopia, etc. I wouldn't consider it shady at all. You still have the issue of a lot of homeless on Wilshire that can spill over/ but this is one of the things you have to deal with when living in the city.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM

7,195 posts, read 20,738,821 times
i'm not hating on the area, just going by my personal observations. there aren't nearly as many apatments once you get south of olympic, mostly single family homes. not only that, there's not much in the area (minus the very 'little ethiopa' on fairfax). usually when people are considering the miracle mile it's because they want city ammenities, which are mostly north of wilshire. with regards to my crummy neighborhoods comment, i meant closer to the 10 and along venice blvd. maybe crime is low (i have no idea), but a street filled with auto shops and run down apartment buildings is crummy in my book.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 PM

38,133 posts, read 38,493,568 times
It is a reasonable safe area to live in and is close to public transportation, museums, etc.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:15 PM

5,409 posts, read 12,016,728 times
he might have meant olypmic [east of western]. stark difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
In case you haven't noticed, BRinSM, south of Olympic is largely middle class (those who live in apartments), and upper middle class whites (those who live in homes). I'd hardly call a safe, desirable and sought-after (and surprisingly, well-integrated) area with numerous $800,000+ homes "crummy," but then again, that's just me. Sure, maybe the schools are a wreck, but isn't that typical of many nabes in this city?

The nabes south of Olympic and north of Pico, deserve far more credit than you giving them. Photos of such areas: prettyugly.: Strollin'

Old 07-18-2010, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,381 times
I lived in the Miracle Mile for 10 years and would have stayed had we had the money to buy a house there. It is VERY conveniently located, close to great entertainment, food and shopping, and I miss it badly.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 PM

44 posts, read 107,368 times
miracle mile is a great area - close to LACMA, shops, nightlife etc

great food in the area too

Old 07-19-2010, 03:13 PM

107 posts, read 183,577 times
Thanks for all of your help! We decided that even if we find something nice in MM, it's going to be too far of a commute for my husband to Venice. Back to the drawing board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles