Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,216 times

Advertisements

I think DTLA is a great area. It is getting a great vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:35 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post

The park looks nice too. Maybe not the right time to try to do a park with $ problems, but it does look like an improvement. There should be open space though for people to throw a football, frisbee, etc... instead of just trees.
Actually, the $50 million in park funds were paid by the developer Related Companies when they received entitlements to build the mixed-use Grand ave project.

The economic crash and credit squeeze have put Related's plans on hold...but the park component is moving forward as the funds are already in place.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:41 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Actually, the $50 million in park funds were paid by the developer Related Companies when they received entitlements to build the mixed-use Grand ave project.

The economic crash and credit squeeze have put Related's plans on hold...but the park component is moving forward as the funds are already in place.
Yep, that's correct. Not to mention those Quimby funds we had for park development... not sure what ever happened to that money...

Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
For all of Broad's consistent prominence on the public stage in recent years, the buildings he has helped develop make up a disparate, even contradictory group. They don't reflect a single aesthetic vision or chart the growth of a few chosen architects over time. If the buildings have any common thread, in fact, it is disappointment: Broad has collaborated with some of the most talented firms in the world, to be sure. But he has also overseen some of their least impressive work".

Eli Broad: L.A.'s peripatetic patron - Los Angeles Times
CalSur: Thanks for posting this. I somehow missed it. Hawthorne (LA Times Architecture critic) has some good points here. Of course, no surprise that Broad is a control freak...goes with the billionaire territory.

Too bad he did not pick a LOCAL architecture firm. LA is filled with very talented up and coming firms. Sometimes picking already well known names is a mistake....as they've already completed their best work.

The ONE thing that gives me SOME hope is Broad was on the MOCA board. The result of that was a pretty nice design....MOCA's red sandstone is simple but elegant. Many critics (and no less important the public) liked it. Broad didn't totally mess that one up but I think he had LESS control over that one.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
A competing developer ALSO wants the same site next to the Concert Hall that Broad wants to build the museum on. They want to build a 17 story tower home to the Shen Yun Performing Arts Center. Personally, I think it will look HORRENDOUS next to the Concert Hall and Downtown. This thing belongs in Chinatown. Hopefully the city does the right thing and pick the Broad Museum that likely won't look like it belongs in a theme park.

Eli Broad museum site gets preliminary city OK, but a rival arts use suddenly emerges | Culture Monster | Los Angeles Times

Old 07-16-2010, 02:27 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,631 times
^ To propose that next to the Disney Hall is an insult to the city and people of Los Angeles. I'd rather keep it a parking lot.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:39 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
A competing developer ALSO wants the same site next to the Concert Hall that Broad wants to build the museum on. They want to build a 17 story tower home to the Shen Yun Performing Arts Center. Personally, I think it will look HORRENDOUS next to the Concert Hall and Downtown. This thing belongs in Chinatown. Hopefully the city does the right thing and pick the Broad Museum that likely won't look like it belongs in a theme park.

Eli Broad museum site gets preliminary city OK, but a rival arts use suddenly emerges | Culture Monster | Los Angeles Times
I agree that the Chinese theater group's building looks horrible but they have the right to be considered. I hope Broad doesn't get angry and decide to build his museum in Santa Monica.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:04 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post

wow...speechless.

let's hope that building doesn't end up on the parcel where the broad museum is slated to be built, or anywhere near that section of downtown for that matter. talk about a square peg in a round hole.

i don't know why the shen yun developer even wants to build in that part of downtown - there's absolutely no benefit (as far as i can tell) for placing the structure over there as opposed to chinatown, as you suggested.

hopefully the broad museum proceeds on the site as planned and this other proposal looks elsewhere. downtown is making great strides, thanks in large part to a handful of folks and organizations with a cohesive vision for the area, and so i'd hate to see this get disrupted by competing interests that aren't working toward that same goal.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
that northern part of DTLA needs more walkability appeal. this is a great step!!!!
i cant wait.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,458 times
My Chinese friend got dragged to one of Shen Yun's supposed "cultural" peformances and it was such a farce! According to her, they're really heavy-handed with their proselytizing. Even if you agree with the basis for their political viewpoints, they're disingenuous about the true mission of their theater group. I think using that site for a Falun Gong center would be akin to having Chabad erect a yeshiva.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles