Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 PM

50 posts, read 124,948 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my fiance just accepted a job in Burbank, CA. Our official move date is October 1st of this year. He is originally from Orange County and I am from St. Louis so neither one of us are at all familiar with the Burbank area. Any tips on where to live, vehicle registration, and just long distance moves in general will be greatly appreciated. My head is spinning, not sure where to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
What kind of neighborhood do you want? Burbank is nice, and generally has a lot to offer to a wide range of people. It's a fairly safe area, has a nice downtown, some relatively affordable housing options, etc. I'd start by looking there. Might as well make life easy and eliminate a long commute!

Landlords in LA generally seem to want tenants who can move in very quickly, so you probably won't be able to actually find a place until sometime in September. If you're hiring a company to move you, you'll probably want to make arrangements before you know your exact final address.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:56 PM

Are there any areas of Burbank that you would recommend staying away from? Our monthly budget is 2,500 for rent, from the research I've been doing this seems quite feasible. We are actually going the first week of September to hopefully secure something.

P.S. Is westside rentals worth it?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,360 times
I tend to find a lot of the same listings that Westside rentals has on Craigslist. Honestly, the best way to find an apartment is to drive in the area you want to be in and just drive slowly up and down the streets looking for those "For Rent" signs. I'd say the most popular parts of Burbank will be the area close to the LA City border in Toluca Lake or the Burbank Downtown area. Magnolia Park is also nice.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I don't know Burbank enough to know what, if any, areas you should stay away from; I have several friends who lived or live within walking distance of downtown, and they all really enjoy it there (and I have enjoyed visiting them!) You should have no problems with that budget. I know there are others on here with more Burbank-specific experience, so hopefully they'll chime in here. There's a mix of housing; apartments, single family houses, bungalow courts, etc., so for that price you should be able to find something you like in a convenient, safe location.

People seem to hold strong opinions for or against westside rentals. We paid for it about four years ago when we were last renting a place, and ended up finding something on Craigslist instead, although we did look at some westside rental listings. The cost is pretty low, so if you have a little extra money and want the peace of mind and ease that comes with being able to easily search their rentals online I'd join. I think that's probably especially true since you're coming in from somewhere else with limited time and need to be able to easily and quickly sift through your options. I haven't checked lately, but I think their price includes a credit check; in that case if you get something through them and don't have to pay an additional credit check fee you'll come out even in the end, anyway. So yes, I think in your case especially it's probably worth it, but you can also certainly find good options without going through them, too.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieart View Post
Ok, so my fiance just accepted a job in Burbank, CA. Our official move date is October 1st of this year. He is originally from Orange County and I am from St. Louis so neither one of us are at all familiar with the Burbank area. Any tips on where to live, vehicle registration, and just long distance moves in general will be greatly appreciated. My head is spinning, not sure where to begin.
Congrats to your husband. There are lots of possible places to live and Burbank itself is one. If is hard to suggest locations when we don't have any clue what your housing allowance will be, if you will be working and if you choose a house or an apartment.

As for long distance moves, we have done it many times, you may want to start by checking with the moving companies outright, then consider if it is better to start from scratch and forget about moving furniture etc or do you want to hire it done? Yes, you can do the "move yourself" thing, just remember when you add the cost of the moving van, the gas, etc, it sometimes isn't all that much savings. This is something only you can decide. For some, it is better to just move your personal belongings and start over. It is fun also.

Things like car registrations, I would get on line and do some research. You probably will be a little surprised at the high cost, depending on where you are coming from.

Good luck and congratulations to your fiance.

Nita

Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
I would look into Pasadena...close to Burbank and a very nice area to live.

Lots of charm and character. Good restaurants, shopping, culture, nightlife, etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 PM

364 posts, read 991,389 times
I like Burbank a lot. As to where, I think you guys would need to check out the area. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any places to avoid, except for its neighbor, Glendale. LOL!

Like what's been mentioned, Magnoalia Park is nice and so are the areas of Toluca Lake/LA proper.

I've even seen some nice developments in "NoHo" (North Hollywood).

Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 PM

8 posts, read 35,630 times
Default Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
I would look into Pasadena...close to Burbank and a very nice area to live.

Lots of charm and character. Good restaurants, shopping, culture, nightlife, etc.
I love Pasadena; primarily Old Town and surrounding neighborhoods. However, the commute from Pasadena to Burbank contains traffic — approximately a 25-minute commute from door-to-door.

Overall, Burbank is a very nice town with very few undesirable areas. Some people prefer to live North of Glenoaks; whereas some prefer to be adjacent of Toluca Lake. Both areas are nice.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the helpful info, I will update when we find a place. Getting excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles