Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,177 times

Advertisements

I just moved to LA 2 months ago. About a month ago a friend of mine and I went hiking in Malibu (took my car which was still registered in GA at the time). When we parked the car at the La Jolla Valley we started talking to the rangers passing by and completely overlooked the parking fee information. So we didn't pay. When we got back to my car, there was a parking ticket for $ 68.

My friend said he'll take care of the ticket. 3 days later he said he lost it . We didn't know what city issued the ticket, so I went back to the park, spoke with the ranger and found out it was the City of Santa Ana (strangely). I went on their website, but my license plate is not in the system. Not even today, over a month later. Unfortunately, I don't even have the citation number so I can only do a search by the license plate. I wrote them a letter trying to contest the ticket, but since it's not in the system, I don't know if they can see it or if it's even possible to pay it. I'm not even 100 % sure it was the City of Santa Ana, but according to the ranger it should be.

So last week I got my CA driver's license and CA license plates (registered my car). My questions are:

1. Do the unpaid parking tickets get reported to the DMV? And if so, would they report it to GA or CA?

2. Do they mail a copy of the ticket? If so, would the postal office forward it to my new address in CA? Or it is one of those things that the USPS doesn't forward?

3. Now that I have a completely new driver's license and license plates - how does if affect the ticket?

I'm NOT trying to get out of paying the ticket. I'm mad that I'll end up having to pay the late fees just because my friend lost the ticket and it's still not in their system. I'm just trying to figure out what to do and how to pay it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
The ranger is delusional. Were you in Point Mugu State Park?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The ranger is delusional. Were you in Point Mugu State Park?
Yes, a little further down the road in La Jolla Valley, which belongs to Point Mugu. He looked at his citation book and the mailing address was in Santa Ana. I was surprised too. But I remember seeing it on the citation.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Then it must be a State Parks Dept address in Santa Ana. There is no way Santa Ana PD would have jurisdiction up there.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Then it must be a State Parks Dept address in Santa Ana. There is no way Santa Ana PD would have jurisdiction up there.
I called City of Santa Ana a few times, but they're not really helpful at all. They say they might be able to find the ticket if I show up in person. But I don't understand why they can't just look it up in their system with me on the phone? Santa Ana is 65 miles away from where I live! I'm waiting on a response to my letter now, but the only thing I am REALLY worried about is that I'm dealing with the wrong city

Old 07-19-2010, 04:57 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
In Malibu it was probably the LA County Sheriff's department who wrote the ticket or the park's parking enforcement. The Santa Ana reference was probably where the collection company is located. try emailing the state parks department, maybe they can help info@parks.ca.gov.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM

I guess what I'm trying to say is - I always obey the law as much as I possibly can and I hate driving around knowing I have an outstanding parking ticket somewhere that is growing in 'value' . I'm terrified of the consequences. So it's killing me that I can't figure out how or where to pay for it... I was honestly hoping that I won't be able to register my car because of it - at least then I'd be able to resolve the whole thing. But they registered my car just fine.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
In Malibu it was probably the LA County Sheriff's department who wrote the ticket or the park's parking enforcement. The Santa Ana reference was probably where the collection company is located. try emailing the state parks department, maybe they can help info@parks.ca.gov.
I will. Thank you.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
I have an idea but you may not like it. Go to thae same spot and leave your car without paying for parking. You'll find the issuing departments information on your new ticket.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I have an idea but you may not like it. Go to thae same spot and leave your car without paying for parking. You'll find the issuing departments information on your new ticket.
LOL That's probably the easiest way to handle this. Not the cheapest though.

Seriously though - that's why I went back and spoke with the ranger. He pulled out the actual citation book that they used and looked up the address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles