Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,112 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a new job with offices located in the Glendale/Burbank area. The job starts in December. I am not familiar with the area at all. I have a family with two kids (ages 6 and 3) and another kid on the way in November. My oldest starts Kindergarten this year.

I'm wondering where some good areas might be for kids/schools, etc. I'm looking to rent somewhere in the $2,000 to $2,500 range but could go as high as $3,000 if necessary. I've heard good things about Valencia and Santa Clarita, but I'd rather not deal with the commute. Are there good "kid-friendly" areas within a close distance to my office (Burbank, Glendale, Studio City, Pasadena, North Hollywood, La Canada, etc)?

Any insights would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
check tujunga and la crescenta

Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I am not familiar with the exact schedules but there is a metrolink train that runs from family friendly Northridge, Chatsworth, Simi Valley, Moorpark (in increasing distances from Burbank). Not sure if the Burbank train station would be convenient. Something to check out. They would most likely be less expensive than South Pasadena, Arcadia for example (placea with a lot of recommendations on City-Data). Also, check La Canada.

Metrolink Interactive Map

California School Performance Maps

Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugalumps View Post
I recently accepted a new job with offices located in the Glendale/Burbank area. The job starts in December. I am not familiar with the area at all. I have a family with two kids (ages 6 and 3) and another kid on the way in November. My oldest starts Kindergarten this year.

I'm wondering where some good areas might be for kids/schools, etc. I'm looking to rent somewhere in the $2,000 to $2,500 range but could go as high as $3,000 if necessary. I've heard good things about Valencia and Santa Clarita, but I'd rather not deal with the commute. Are there good "kid-friendly" areas within a close distance to my office (Burbank, Glendale, Studio City, Pasadena, North Hollywood, La Canada, etc)?

Any insights would be appreciated.
I know people who were very happy in Burbank with school-age kids; they only moved because they decided to buy, not rent. You should be able to find something in your price range there. We lived in South Pasadena and LOVED it; it is the ultimate family-friendly city. You might run into problems finding a 3 BR at the lower end of your price range (if that's what you're looking for), but there might be something. I've heard good things about Glendale for families, too, although the people I know who live there no longer have school-age kids. Pasadena itself has some nice and relatively affordable houses for rent in very family-friendly neighborhoods, although PUSD doesn't have as good of a reputation; some of the schools are very good, though, so I wouldn't automatically write it off. South Pasadena generally comes with a slightly higher price tag because of the schools; same thing with La Canada. Eagle Rock (technically within Los Angeles) has some family-friendly areas, and while I don't know anyone with kids living there, I think their schools (which are part of LAUSD, which is also hit-or-miss on quality) have a good reputation. Eagle Rock is located in the part of LA between Glendale and Pasadena.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am not familiar with the exact schedules but there is a metrolink train that runs from family friendly Northridge, Chatsworth, Simi Valley, Moorpark (in increasing distances from Burbank). Not sure if the Burbank train station would be convenient.
Burbank is more family friendly than Northridge or Chatsworth. It's not LAUSD and has better schools.

No LAUSD area is truly family friendly although MANY would be if LAUSD were abolished or broken up.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:51 AM

23 posts, read 47,049 times
If you are looking for great schools for your kids, La Crescenta or La Canada are great choices.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,112 times
Thanks for the info everyone! This gives us a good starting point on looking for places. I realized that I made a typo in my first post, we are moving in September not December. Don't know what I was thinking at the time. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles