Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:19 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,061 times

Advertisements

I just returned home to Las Vegas today after a two day stint in LA. My gf who also lives in Vegas was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, West Hills to be specific

I went to Downtown LA, Mailbu Beach, Hollywood, and saw quite a bit of the San Fernando Valley including West Hills, Canoga Park, Chatsworth (loved the views up there), and our hotel was in Calabasas

All I can say about LA is wow....I absolutely loved it

The 101 got a bit crazy and 210 was busy too but for the most part, I didn't think the traffic was too bad. The exception to this is Hollywood. Highland Avenue and Hollywood Blvd were an absolute mess. I also love how the Valley is so quiet and sane compared to the rest of the city. The traffic there wasn't bad at all. I love the Valley.

And boy is your city spread out I thought Orlando and Las Vegas were bad. It seemed to take FOREVER to get to downtown, Hollywood, and Malibu from the Valley, even when there was light traffic

I just wanted to come on here and say I loved LA and cant wait to go back again. I recently moved from Orlando, FL two months ago, so this was my first time in LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I didn't think the traffic was too bad.
The traffic there wasn't bad at all. I love the Valley.
Really depends on when but traffic on the 101 and 405 can be bad - the 101 can be bad even on Sunday afternoons.

Rush hour mornings on the 101 eastbound into the sun from the Valley to jobs in LA/Westside can really suck. Also, other than the 405 and the 170 or 5, there isn't much of a north south express route - especially in the west valley. People clog Topanga, Desoto, Tampa, ... to get from Simi to Warner Center for example.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:17 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,469 times
DavieJ89: Thanks for sharing your thoughts after your trip. Here's a question for you: What did you think of LA drivers? Polite, rude, about the same as Las Vegas and Orlando?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:53 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
DavieJ89: Thanks for sharing your thoughts after your trip. Here's a question for you: What did you think of LA drivers? Polite, rude, about the same as Las Vegas and Orlando?
About the same as what I am used to, an even mix of polite and rude drivers. Only difference is you guys drive a lot faster then back east. I was a bit freaked out at first, stuck in traffic on the 210 and when i saw a motorcycle whiz by riding the white line just inches from my car I was like "Oh my God, is that legal? He could go to jail in FL for that" so that was a whole new experience, scary, but new and interesting

The "me first" attitude has a pretty strong presence as well, the same way it does in Las Vegas and Orlando. A lot of drivers just HAD to be ahead of me come hell or high water. I havent changed my FL plates to NV yet either, so that turned a lot of drivers heads as well. I cant read lips but I could tell when I saw one girl in a Chrysler say "Wow he's all the way from Florida"

I did notice though, that as long as you follow the "rules" of the road (I dont mean the actual laws, I mean stuff like, keeping up with traffic, speeding up when the light is yellow, letting somebody merge, etc) The drivers seem to be willing to work with you if need be. Definitely not the case in Vegas, and ESPECIALLY not in Orlando, where most drivers are from NY and are willing to cause a huge accident just so they can get ahead of you

Driving in LA wasnt too bad

Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 PM

245 posts, read 712,418 times
I just moved from Vegas after living there for 2 years. My first week there I was amazed to see how cars on both sides stop for school buses when the stop sign pops out. I lived in LA all my life and people don't seem to pay attention to these things. There's also Maryland Pkwy, a major street, where people actually go below 30 mph for miles when the common speed limit is 45 mph. It's hard to find stretches of road like that in LA even if it is a speed trap.

On the freeway when there is no congestion, SoCal drivers go 75-80+ mph in a 65 zone leaving less than 2 seconds between cars and in Vegas where the limit is 70, people rarely goes over 80 and the distance between cars are a good 3-4 seconds. I guess that's what we have to deal with in such a highly populated city.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:56 AM

28 posts, read 97,562 times
Glad you liked your trip to LA.

The 210 is the worst during rush hour and weekends with holidays. I drive it everyday, though and manage to miss the traffic, thankfully. But if you hit it at the wrong time, then life sucks.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM

396 posts, read 906,174 times
Quote:
. The exception to this is Hollywood. Highland Avenue and Hollywood Blvd were an absolute mess. I also love how the Valley is so quiet and sane compared to the rest of the city. The traffic there wasn't bad at all. I love the Valley.

And boy is your city spread out I thought Orlando and Las Vegas were bad. It seemed to take FOREVER to get to downtown, Hollywood, and Malibu from the Valley, even when there was light traffic
Hollywood/Highland...the area where I live. You think it's crazy with normal traffic? Just see it when they close Hollywood Blvd from Orange to Highland for the day for a premier or whatever other random event is going on. Franklin is ridiculous as well at times. It's one of the many reasons I gave up my car to live here!

If you're in the Valley and close to NoHo the redline is pretty quick, and stress free, way to get to Hollywood or Downtown. Free parking at the NoHo station as well.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,654 times
Quote:
I just returned home to Las Vegas today after a two day stint in LA. My gf who also lives in Vegas was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, West Hills to be specific

I went to Downtown LA, Mailbu Beach, Hollywood, and saw quite a bit of the San Fernando Valley including West Hills, Canoga Park, Chatsworth (loved the views up there), and our hotel was in Calabasas

All I can say about LA is wow....I absolutely loved it

The 101 got a bit crazy and 210 was busy too but for the most part, I didn't think the traffic was too bad. The exception to this is Hollywood. Highland Avenue and Hollywood Blvd were an absolute mess. I also love how the Valley is so quiet and sane compared to the rest of the city. The traffic there wasn't bad at all. I love the Valley.

I just wanted to come on here and say I loved LA and cant wait to go back again. I recently moved from Orlando, FL two months ago, so this was my first time in LA
Funny coincidence! We are from NY and spent last summer in Las Vegas. At the time we did a weekend in LA for the first time (Stayed at the Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach ). In the meantime, we have been following Davie's adventures on the las Vegas forum for the last year. This summer, we were in las Vegas from July 1 to 28. Then four days in Tujunga and now 12 days in Manhattan Beach, then back to Vegas til August 27.

We noticed many of the same things. While NY drivers are insane, they seem to be a little more aware than CA drivers. Not much signaling in CA and a lot of multi lane changes. Also, Las Vegas and CA drivers seem more relaxed behind the wheel.

We did the "convertible" drive from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara on the PCH and that was truly a wondrous experience. The natural sights were breathtaking!

Also noticed the sprawl of LA but it's kind of interesting and keeps the city interesting. So much to learn.

While Las Vegas will always be special to us, we are truly taken with what we have seen of California and plan to visit again next summer!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
There's also Maryland Pkwy, a major street, where people actually go below 30 mph for miles when the common speed limit is 45 mph.
The speed limit on Maryland Pkwy IS 30 mph, not 45.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM

245 posts, read 712,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The speed limit on Maryland Pkwy IS 30 mph, not 45.
I know, but as I wrote earlier, the common speed limit in major streets of Las Vegas is 45 mph. People in Las Vegas actually drives below 30 mph in that section of Maryland Pkwy. I hardly see such obedient driving elsewhere without traffic or other physical obstacle. In most places, people go 5-10 mph above the speed limit, not at or below even when the road is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles