Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:56 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,431 times

Advertisements

I was prompted to volunteer a days service in order to get a free ticket to Disneyland. Being new to the area and still jobless, I wanted to take advantage of that great offer. In saying that, I was researching the place I'm going to, and tears started to well up in my eyes. What a difference people can make in others lives in giving freely of their time. I used to say I wish I were independently wealthy so I could volunteer every day, that would be more meaningful. Though, I never, ever gave one day, one hour. I think, after this experience, it will change a bit of me.
What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i'm in the same boat. i've been meaning to do it, but always come up with excuses of why i'm too busy.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:53 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
I volunteered when I had more free time. I would help at Jewish events and animal shelters. I will do this when I relocate since I won't have a job right away and a lot of free time!!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Top 1% of taxpayers in CA or NYC pay ~50% of all taxes; IIRC, bottom 40% pay nearly no taxes

Suspect many hardworking taxpayers would appreciate if non-taxpaying beggars would have kids only when they can afford to actually support and properly educate/raise them, rather than trying to make their own poor (but freedom-based) lifestyle choices "guilt" issues for taxpayers who aren't to blame for poor choices of others

Charities are largely another taxpayer-subsidized parasite of society, only preventing people from paying for their own poor choices in life....bailout/victimization nonsense in a sanctimonious disguise

Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Suspect many hardworking taxpayers would appreciate if non-taxpaying beggars would have kids only when they can afford to actually support and properly educate/raise them, rather than trying to make their own poor (but freedom-based) lifestyle choices "guilt" issues for taxpayers who aren't to blame for poor choices of others
My rule of thumb is $15/hr for the first kid an additional $5/hr for each additional kid. So, to be responsible, a parent should make $30/hour if he wants four kids.

Also, if welfare, then Norplant.

Finally, what is the catholic church's message to a dad who makes $7/hour yet he already has three kids? It is "Go ahead, have another kid."

Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbytabby View Post
IWhat about you?
I volunteer a good bit; currently I just accepted the mantle of Team Captain for our parish team in this summer's Relay for Life event. I also do PR for our parish and women's guild on a volunteer basis. In the past I have volunteered in our local schools, taught in our parish school of religion, worked with the American Red Cross bloodmobile, worked with Habitat for Humanity, and more.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My rule of thumb is $15/hr for the first kid an additional $5/hr for each additional kid. So, to be responsible, a parent should make $30/hour if he wants four kids.

Also, if welfare, then Norplant.

Finally, what is the catholic church's message to a dad who makes $7/hour yet he already has three kids? It is "Go ahead, have another kid."

I personally would never have a kid in poverty and would only have enough kids that I finally could really afford to take care of myself, a spouse, and a child/children. I have said this among many of my friends from Latin America, and most don't think not having financially stability shouldn't be a reason not having children. I guess it's a cultural thing. I would like my kids to have a trust for furthering their education after high school, travel opportunities (I think traveling makes you wiser and children should be exposed to it while they are young enough to remember it), $ for interests like sports, the arts, etc, and enough emergency money should some crisis arise. Assuming I meet a life long partner and have enough money, I would like 2 or 3 kids. After that, I would like to get a hysterectomy

Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM

Actually now that I think of it, I have volunteered 750 hours this year for my unpaid internship working at schools. As a matter of fact, I pay in order to volunteer!!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
my friends from Latin America, and most don't think not having financially stability shouldn't be a reason not having children. I guess it's a cultural thing.
Something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Assuming I meet a life long partner and have enough money,
My friend Debbie (white chick) told me "Sure, I'd date Shaq"

to which I replied "What if he only made $30K/year?",

she comes back with "NO Way!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles