U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:44 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,507,715 times

Advertisements

Can anyone name or list some free or almost free things to do or see in the L.A. area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 06:21 PM

26,345 posts, read 85,911,121 times
I think you can still see a TV show get filmed for free. I saw Rich Little's show around 1977 at the NBC studio in Burbank. (FREE)

Venice Beach people watching. (FREE)

Petersen Automobilia museum. (Cheap)

Lasarium (used to be at Griffith Park Observatory, great place for a date...you would catch a buzz just waiting in line...), now at Cyberdome in Van Nuys. (Cheap)

Chair Lift up to Mt Baldy. (Cheap)

Santa Anita Race Track (Cheap)

Queen Mary (Cheap)

LAPD or LASD Ride Along. I did this with Ventura County Sheriff back in the mid 1990s. Man that was fun. (FREE)

Point Mugu or Edwards Air Force Base Air Show (Cheap, maybe free?)

LA Times Tour. I did this in '68 or '69. (FREE)

Hollywood Bowl: Free concert rehearsals begin the second week in July, and take place from approximately 9 AM to 12 noon on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings during the season (July to mid-September). (FREE)

Grave Line Tours (Probably not cheap but you won't get it anywhere but LA)

Old 06-24-2007, 06:33 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,735,037 times
I'm not sure of the cost, but the museums in Exposition Park have always been fairly inexpensive, and I believe they still are. Most activities in Griffith Park are also free (such as hiking) or very inexpensive (Travel Town?). I know Griffith Observatory was originally donated to the City of Los Angeles with the condition that they would never charge admission. I believe they still don't charge admission, however, there is a charge for the shuttle bus that takes you there.

Some other things to consider that I believe are still inexpensive, if not free, are the Huntington Library and Descanso Gardens, both in or near Pasadena.

Of course the beaches are pretty much free, except for the cost of parking. I'm not sure about the pier at Santa Monica, though. There may be a charge for going there.

I'm not sure, but I believe the La Brea Tar Pits and the adjacent Page Museum are fairly inexpensive, as well. From what I recall, the admission was somewhere around 4 or 5 dollars for adults. That's been quite a few years ago, though, so I may not remember this correctly, and even if I do, it could have changed quite a bit.

There are some other places to go that don't cost anything to get into, but will cost some money if you want to buy anything there. The ones that come to mind are Olvera Street in Downtown L.A., Farmer's Market on Fairfax, and Ports o' Call in San Pedro.

Hiking and Biking are two activities that can be done all over southern California that are usually free, except the cost of getting to your destination. There are bike paths along the L.A. River and also along much of the beach area, in addition to areas like the Sepulveda Basin in the San Fernando Valley. Speaking of that area, there's also the Japanese Garden and Lake Balboa in the Sepulveda Basin, that I believe are free or very inexpensive.

Some other things to consider are the California State Parks. Most of them are inexpensive. The one that comes immediately to mind for me is Fort Tejon, mostly because it is very close to where I am. It is a Civil War era fort that has mostly been restored or preserved. The admission is only about $2 per person, or at least it was a few years ago, the last time I went. They also have Civil War reenactments about once a month during the summer that are interesting to attend. The biggest expense in going there is probably the cost of getting there.

I hope these few suggestions give you a place to start, and that others can add their suggestions, too.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Grave Line Tours (Probably not cheap but you won't get it anywhere but LA)
I hope you meant Gray Line Tours. I don't think I'd want to try Grave Line Tours!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:42 PM

332 posts, read 2,035,683 times
Santa Monica Promenade, Universal Citywalk, and The Grove are all free to get in, walk around and watch the performers.

The Getty Center is free.

Mount Wilson Observatory is free with a $5 daily Angeles Forest pass.

Of course, you'll have to pay for parking almost everywhere, or buy something to get your ticket validated.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:58 PM

26,345 posts, read 85,911,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I hope you meant Gray Line Tours. I don't think I'd want to try Grave Line Tours!
Yes, Grave Line Tours. It's some sort of novel tour in a hearse to places where famous deaths have occurred or something like that.

Greg Smith

Last edited by Charles; 06-24-2007 at 07:09 PM..

Old 06-25-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes, Grave Line Tours. It's some sort of novel tour in a hearse to places where famous deaths have occurred or something like that.

Greg Smith
Wow! I've spent nearly forty years around these parts and have never even heard about this one. I guess it's true what they say, "you learn something new every day!" I was thinking about the Gray Line tours of the stars homes, which is what I thought you meant.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,838,104 times
The beach is free. Parking is too if you know where...

Old 06-26-2007, 10:03 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,354,616 times
The Queen Mary is not cheap, if you're planning on going on a tour.

Check out the Gene Autry Museum across from the L.A. zoo. It use to be $7.00 a person and less for children. Maybe the prices have gone up, tho.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:42 PM

7 posts, read 41,191 times
Free summer concerts thread here: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-some-not.html

There also free movie screenings (older movies) being done at the Hollywood Forever Cemetary - Cinespia - Cemetery Screenings 2007
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or