U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM

40 posts, read 52,638 times

Advertisements

I did a complete one day apartment search in the various "Hollywoods" a short while back. Here's my take on the 4 of them.

East Hollywood: Seedy south of Los Feliz Blvd. On the north side the apartments are way better and the class of people is better. Pros are: close to Hollywood, close to downtown, and easy access to the Red line.

North Hollywood: Mostly seedy except for the NoHo Arts District. That area seems to be up and coming. Lots of really really nice apartment buildings, but very expensive. If you are gonna pay $1600 for a one bedroom, might as well live somewhere with more to do (like West Hollywood). NoHo has the Red Line access and the traffic at 4pm wasn't terrible into downtown.

West Hollywood: The most walkable, most convenient to restaurants, nightlife. Lots of "industry" people and lots of $50,000 millioniares. Expensive, though I looked at places that were $1100 in rent for a one bedroom and the apartments seemed decent. Cons are heavy traffic to anywhere and not near a freeway.

Hollywood: The real Hollywood. Huge amounts of traffic, but this is the city. Lots of stuff to do, although very seedy off of Hollywood and Melrose. Most of the neighborhood seemed seedy. Although it has that cool quality to it. Depending where one resides, traffic can be good or bad. Pro is if you are close to the 101, easy access to Valley and downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM

4 posts, read 15,505 times
Thanks you guys, I forgot I posted on this...I actually postponed my trip to the 21st of this month and I settled on West Hollywood which I am excited about.
When I said "terrified" the farthest thing I was referring to was crime. What I meant was that I am moving to a massive new city, not knowing a soul. That is scary to me. It may seem an immature viewpoint as what is the worst that can happen? But in actuality when I did this in Santa Barbara last summer I ended up in a literal crack den/possible brothel and ran out of there as soon as possible catching the next bus out. IN SANTA BARBARA! I learned on the bus back that that was probably the one bad street in all of the city.
I guess I am scared of all the stereotypes people tell me(which I know is silly). But I know that stereotypes are really worthless. I mean everyone in SF is supposed to be nice, bohemian and peace seeker types but I can assure you I went to school with some of the most racist, anti-semetic, ignorant people I have ever come across and I think that is why I am leaving for now...because I know that if we have those people here, LA (whose stereotypes are mostly negative at least in SF)will have the most amazing people. Does that make sense?
Well, again, thanks for responding to my question and wish me luck in WeHo.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 PM

4,213 posts, read 7,639,497 times
^West Hollywood has crime too. It's actually not that safe, interestingly enough. I live there so PM me if you have any questions about it.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:02 PM

2,261 posts, read 6,803,434 times
I think you're very brave for moving to a new city on your own. It's totally terrifying! And I did it with my husband!

11 years ago, my husband & I moved from Boston to West Hollywood. It was great!! I loved living there. It's vibrant, fun, very gay, lots to do, lots of traffic. It was a great place for me in my 20s. I thought the Valley was a dirty word, heh, and went there as little as possible.

Now I live in Burbank and I'm considering buying in North Hollywood. I'm more settled down & have a baby. The valley is perfect for us (lots of parks, less traffic, lots of family restaurants) and I have NO desire to live in West Hollywood.

My point is: You're young. Pick West Hollywood (or Hollywood, as someone else mentioned). There's more "young" stuff to do. Clubs, live bands, independent art movie houses, bars, etc...

Old 02-10-2011, 02:08 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,147,011 times
I think you would much prefer N. Hollywood. More a affordable to rent and live and when you want to go out just drive to W.Hollywood. You will have a tuff time finding affordable rent in W. Hollywood that will allow you xtra money to go out and play with. N. Hollywood you will live in a affordable apt and have money to save and play.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 15,505 times
30STM- Thank you for the tip, but I don't have a car and will be using public transport. I have heard wonderful things about N. hollywood though, just probably not for me in my situation right now.

ReadyMade- If you moved from Boston to WeHo and liked it I am comforted because many people I know say Boston is similar to SF in certain ways. I am getting very nervous as my arrival in LA is coming up very very soon, but I think the main thing I want to make sure of is to stay active and not feel dismayed. I intend to volunteer as much as I can when I am not working , and explore the city. I really want to visit the "little" areas(lil armenia, tokyo,etc) as I think they will remind me of SF .
Thank you for your support.
PS:
Congratulations on your baby! I wish you all the best!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 PM

4,213 posts, read 7,639,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK21 View Post
30STM- Thank you for the tip, but I don't have a car and will be using public transport. I have heard wonderful things about N. hollywood though, just probably not for me in my situation right now.

ReadyMade- If you moved from Boston to WeHo and liked it I am comforted because many people I know say Boston is similar to SF in certain ways. I am getting very nervous as my arrival in LA is coming up very very soon, but I think the main thing I want to make sure of is to stay active and not feel dismayed. I intend to volunteer as much as I can when I am not working , and explore the city. I really want to visit the "little" areas(lil armenia, tokyo,etc) as I think they will remind me of SF .
Thank you for your support.
PS:
Congratulations on your baby! I wish you all the best!
weho can be affordable if you live with your roommates or live in the eastern part of weho (closer to fairfax/la brea rather than robertson or san vicente). the west part of weho borders beverly hills and the sunset strip and therefore has the excessive rent (rivaling santa monica and brentwood for its prices). for example a studio in west weho can run you 1400 easily, while a studio in east weho is closer to 1000.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM

2,261 posts, read 6,803,434 times
Boston IS similar to SF in many ways.

HOWEVER, West Hollywood (and LA in general) is not very similar to Boston or SF, I should warn you.

SF has a more "city" feel to me (which I like). It has more one-ways & narrower streets (which I DON'T like). We don't have the hills that SF has. The architecture is very different, too. You'll miss the big buildings. The weather is nicer here (sunnier). SF has MUCH better public transportation.

You can get around without a car in West Hollywood... I did it. But it involves taking lots of buses (depending on where you want to go).

West Hollywood is very very gay. So if you have any issues with that, you're gonna have a problem. Well, SF is too, now that I think about it... but it's more condensed in WeHo. LOTS of gay bars, etc...

WeHo is very vibrant. Lots of stuff to do. Lots of fun to be had. Lots of people and traffic.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 PM

277 posts, read 339,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Boston IS similar to SF in many ways.

HOWEVER, West Hollywood (and LA in general) is not very similar to Boston or SF, I should warn you.

SF has a more "city" feel to me (which I like). It has more one-ways & narrower streets (which I DON'T like). We don't have the hills that SF has. The architecture is very different, too. You'll miss the big buildings. The weather is nicer here (sunnier). SF has MUCH better public transportation.

You can get around without a car in West Hollywood... I did it. But it involves taking lots of buses (depending on where you want to go).

West Hollywood is very very gay. So if you have any issues with that, you're gonna have a problem. Well, SF is too, now that I think about it... but it's more condensed in WeHo. LOTS of gay bars, etc...

WeHo is very vibrant. Lots of stuff to do. Lots of fun to be had. Lots of people and traffic.
West Hollywood is what the Castro is to SF. SF is not gay, the Castro District is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles