Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be spending 1 1/2 days in Santa Barbara and then driving down to Manhattan Beach. Any tips for our drive? I was also wondering how bad traffic will be for our Saturday mid-day drive. We are trying to figure out how long the trip will be.

This is our first time in California so any other info would be appreciated! We will have 1 1/2 days in Manhattan Beach. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
without traffic it can be done in 2 hours, but i'd count on closer to 3. and since it's going to take that long, you may at least make a day of it and take PCH from the Ventura area through Malibu to Santa Monica. beyond that, you might as well hop on the 405 for the rest of the route, the city street route through venice, westchester and LAX isn't very exciting.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlmomof2 View Post
I was also wondering how bad traffic will be for our Saturday mid-day drive.
Be careful as PCH can get really bad traffic from Malibu Canyon to Manhattan Beach (both directions) on warm weekend days.

Check google maps traffic and zero in on this area to see real time traffic.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Be careful as PCH can get really bad traffic from Malibu Canyon to Manhattan Beach (both directions) on warm weekend days.
Agree. I would leave Santa Barbara early in the morning, say 8:00 AM. You might avoid some of the beach traffic. Afternoons are bad.

But taking the coast route is beautiful!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,609 times
Traveling along Pacifc Coast Highway, and once you enter Los Angeles County, you'll definitely see more traffic. Venice, Santa Monica and Manahattan Beach hosts a number of events and festivals in the summer and it can be very congested.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Also, As we've written in a few posts above, the traffic can be bad once you pass Malibu Canyon Road. It's about from there that the drive southbound actually isn't that scenic. On PCH from MCR south to Santa Monica Pier mostly what you'll see is grungy tacky worn out old business, beach houses, powerlines, trashcans in front of the beach houses, a couple of restaurants, parked cars, construction material, and a few glimpses of the ocean. Once you're past the pier you're either on ugly Lincoln or boring Neilson/Pacific or trendy Main towards Venice. Nothing that interesting to see on Pacific except apartments. Main is lots of shops, coffee joints, pizza, bars. You'll wind around Marina Del Rey on Sepulveda - nothing special there until you wind up in Manhattan Beach. The other option from SM Pier is to get on 10 to 405 to Rosecrans.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
PCH would be the ideal route ... unless you've got a time constraint. I drive (or ride) to/from Santa Barbara almost every weekend via PCH.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:14 AM

122 posts, read 539,265 times
I make the coastal 101/1 commute quite often as I go back and forth between the Central Coast and Los Angeles to visit family. Keep in mind there's construction going on around Milpas and the freeway. So you might want to leave early/ Take PCH once in Oxnard- once you leave the city limits proper and hit the coast you'll be in for some good views. Plenty of places to park and take in the ocean views. Like the above posters said, you'll transition from the one to Lincoln in Santa Monica. Lincoln becomes the one via the 10 Freeway. I would urge you to take that until you reach Culver Blvd. Take it into Playa Del Rey, which will eventually lead you to Vista Del Mar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles