Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 03:06 PM

16 posts, read 31,371 times

Advertisements

am moving to LA

and am getting $1800 a month [ $21,600 a year ]
am coming with my friend , so we are two with same annual income .

what are the normal costs of :
-a meal ( lunch or dinner ) ? from mac or any fast food
and how much better if i make my food by myself ( from markets )
-apartments ( purchasing ) ?? average plz
-gasoline ?
and other daily costs if i forgot something .

thanx all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazim View Post
am moving to LA

-gasoline ?

thanx all
$5, $3 yourself
For two people $1300-$2000/mo
$3.13/gal

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 PM

58 posts, read 159,056 times
Default Well.. it all depends, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazim View Post
am moving to LA

-gasoline ?

thanx all

Hi,

I guess it all depends what your expectations / life style is.
You would have 2 x 21,600 per year which is not a little amount of money but at the same time not a huge amount in Los Angeles (sorry, it's one of the most expensive cities so I have to give you my unbiaised view here).

You ask what "normal costs" are for dinner....
If you mention Mac or any other fast food chain, well those prices are probably the same anywhere in the US.
purchasing an apartment; again.. this depends on the area.

gasoline.. prices go up and down, today I saw 3,50 for a gallon but it can be up or down next week.

other daily costs ?
how about cars, car insurance, health insurance, other insurances, etc. etc. etc.

I think you would be better off making a list of what you spend approximately every month wherever you live, post it here and ask it you can live on that amount here in LA.

Good luck

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
OP isn't including housing or car in the $1800/month. (He said that in another thread.) He's coming from Saudi Arabia to go to school here, so knowing his costs there won't help.

Hazim, in California people don't usually buy apartments. They rent them. You could buy a condominium, though, for $200,000. Then you'll need to buy a refrigerator and maybe a washer and dryer. What about furniture?

Also, I saw in the Orlando forum that someone told you it would cost $700 for food. I've never been to Orlando, but I can't imagine what those people are eating. For two people, you can eat well for under $300/month.

College books are very expensive. Maybe a couple hundred dollars per class.

Car insurance can be expensive. It depends on what kind of car you drive, how much experience you have, your age, and other factors. You could contact a few insurance companies to get an idea of the cost.

You have enough money for your monthly expenses, if you have other money to take care of some of the initial expenses (furniture, for example). The hardest part will be right at the beginning, when you are getting car insurance, supplies for your home, and buying textbooks all at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles