Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 AM

8,436 posts, read 10,856,044 times

Advertisements

I asked the city council to raise the penalty from $113.00 too $225.00 for a first offense violation of the leash law, and to step up patrols by animal control.
They felt the request had merit, and said they would look into it.
As one member stated, the increase in patrols would cost more too the city, and that the increase would more than likely be eaten up in the cost incurred to patrol.
That was a valid point, but I am not just going to sit back and let this proposal be swept under the carpet.
Next week, I am going back to the tv stations and ask for a PSA to educate the public of the serious consequences of going against the leash law.
When these irresponsible dog owners get hit in the wallet,or have their pet taken away from them, they may possibly see things differently.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM

21 posts, read 18,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
To those who feel the same way, I would suggest you get involved with this campaign to help educate the dog owners about the leash law and the consequences of ignoring it.
You can PM me for the information on how to become more involved.
Thanks,
Bob.
For quite awhile now we are still having to put up with a neighbor who lets his dog run at large to defecate on other peoples property (including ours) without pickup after his dog. We have talked to the neighbor to stop the act, but it continued. Finally we had Animal Control to talk to him(twice) and still the owner continues with his bad behavior. Overall, it really seems that Animal Control is really limited in enforcing the leash laws in my area because I see dog droppings everywhere. I even asked if I could use pictures of the dog at large as evidence, but was told by the Animal Control Rep on the phone that pictures are unacceptable because they could be "doctored". Then I was told that Animal Control must be present the moment the dog at large for them to enforce the law, so when the dog was large one afternoon, I called Animal Control and it took them an hour to get to my area. Very frustrating indeed. I do not even allow my son to play out in the front yard because of the droppings.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM

I don't know who you talked to at animal control, butt hat person was incorrect.
Pictures that are date and time stamped are proof.
Video are much better,and I would suggest if you have video capability in your digital camera, you might want to take a video of the dog in question, and take it to your nearest animal control center.
Explain the problem. and let them investigate.
You might also inform them that this complaint was given to them previously, with no action on their part, and if they do not solve the problem, you will forward your complaint to your city councilman.
Belive me, that little sentence WILL get them to move on it.
Let me know what happens.
Bob.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM

14,530 posts, read 19,998,650 times
Quote:
I don't know who you talked to at animal control, butt hat person was incorrect.
Freudian slip?

My advice is just call Animal Control every time you see the dog running loose on public property. Eventually they're bound to snag the dog and the owner will have to pay a fine to get the dog back. A few trips to the pound and the associated fines should convince the owner to mend his ways.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Calguy and Lovehound thanks for the advice, I will definetely use them. BTW, the person who told me that pictures were not allowed as evidence happened to be an animal control officer. I have pictures from 2010 and some that go back as far as eight years. I was really disappointed when I got the reply from an officer. I tried contacting council members a couple years back (in fact, the council member who I spoke to was also having problems with neighbors not pickup after their dogs) but I got the usual run around. The city told me to get the police involved, who in turn just told me to call animal control.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Depending just how annoyed you are about this, there are other avenues you can investigate to get this problem solved.
First off, I want you to send me a PM so that I can give you my email address.
Then in my return email to you, I will include a copy of the documents I hand out to those who have their dog(s) of leash.
If you know where the dog's owner lives, you can give them this document.
Perhaps if this person sees it in writing, it may do some good.
If not,and you get no response from your councilman, tell the councilman you will be contacting the city attorney, and if that doesn't work, go too the state attorney general.
It may sound like "overkill", but belive me, if you push hard enough, it WILL be resolved.
You would do well to tell each authority you contact that you are not going away, and will take it as far as necessary to get the problem resolved.
Persistence is the buzz word here.
Bob.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Depending just how annoyed you are about this, there are other avenues you can investigate to get this problem solved.
First off, I want you to send me a PM so that I can give you my email address.
Then in my return email to you, I will include a copy of the documents I hand out to those who have their dog(s) of leash.
If you know where the dog's owner lives, you can give them this document.
Perhaps if this person sees it in writing, it may do some good.
If not,and you get no response from your councilman, tell the councilman you will be contacting the city attorney, and if that doesn't work, go too the state attorney general.
It may sound like "overkill", but belive me, if you push hard enough, it WILL be resolved.
Persistence is the buzz word here.
Bob.
I am very annoyed about this matter, because I know the dog owner is doing it intentionally. Unfortunately, the culprit lives right next door to me which makes matters worse, because it is affecting my heart and blood pressure. I will take your advice and get the councilman involved again.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,998,650 times
Socalfish, I'll be interested in hearing how (or if) repeat calls to Animal Control works for you. Please describe their response time or if they responded at all, and whether they nicked the dog. They may not follow up every call, they may not get there in time, but in theory the dog catcher and the dog should eventually meet up. I'd like to know if this theory works in practice.

Calguy, it seems to me that most of the time when I try to tell people what they should do they just get nasty, and even when they're in the wrong they often deny it. ("What do you mean my kids can't drive motorized minibikes and three wheelers all over the neighborhood?" Or those damned noisy motorized skateboards.) That's why I'd rather get some official person involved, at least after I've tried asking nicely a time or two. Of course his neighbor is going to know who dropped the dime on him but it looks like friendly relations are shot anyway.

I tried calling my city councilman on a different matter and at least they gave me an assistant who discussed it with me for an hour or so. (This was about those damned advertising mini-trailers all over the Valley and maybe other parts of the city.) Didn't do any good but at least it made me feel better, made me feel that by communicating with them that something might be done. It's cheaper than therapy or counseling too.

I've seen a few loose dogs around my neighborhood lately. It annoyed me more because you never know when an unsupervised animal might get aggressive. (That has happened but I haven't been bitten yet.) I do my exercise walks with a pepper spray cannister on my belt these days, get it out and ready to use immediately upon seeing a loose dog. (Cats don't scare me too much. ) I haven't needed to use the pepper spray yet. I'd probably call animal control but I expect to move out of state soon and mostly I don't really care now what happens around here, it's just more stuff to endure until I've gone.

Good luck Socalfish!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 PM

I mentioned above about using a video camera to catch this dog in the act.
A year ago, this stupid jerk moved into the apartment building next door to my property.
She had a small dog, though always on leash, that would use the lawn on the sidewalk in front of my property to do it's duty.
One day right after the dog had taken a crap, she started walking back to her apartment, never bothering to pick up the poop.
I told her to pick it up or she would hear from animal control.
She just kept walking toward her building as if she never heard me.
Being friends with her building manager, I asked her to talk to the tenant about her dog.
I did no good, so the next time I caught her, I told her she would be on video camera, and I would turn the dvd over to animal control.
I installed a video camera on the roof of the house, in plain site for all to see, especially her.
That did the trick.
Havn't seen her dog pooping on my lawn since.
Bob.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:19 AM

4 posts, read 3,682 times
why is it that when you confront the person who has a dog with no leash, it is the accuser's fault for bringing it to their attention? it becomes a control factor * there are people who really think that they are immune from the law, citing every excuse for it * it is the law * it is also the law that you are to have plastic bags in your pocket that are visible, but again, we are in a society that refuses to take responsibility for their actions and find every single excuse to be immune from such. if you obey the law, it avoids the confrontation and everyone is happy; when it it not obeyed, there is strife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles