Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 12,103 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently moved to Los Angeles and immediately fell in love with it. I can't picture myself going back to the East Coast. Despite all the bad people talk about, the good outweighs it by miles and the people here are phenomenal. With that said I am still learning the city and some of the better places and I was hoping to get a little advice from other locals who have been here a while. I don't really have any friends out here to hang out with, only a couple acquaintances for work, so I'm looking to use my interests as a way to meet people as well.

* I am located on the edge of Sherman Oaks / Studio City.

1) Mountain climbing - Coming from good old flat Florida, I am totally loving the mountains everywhere. Are there any spots I could go and climb up some of them? I'm not looking to go the mountaintops or anything, just a little healthy activity. Oh, and I mean more like trails and stuff, not actually climbing up the side of them.

2) *#1 Hobby. This is the one that I really am interested in. I am looking for a local semi-competitive/competitive soccer league that I could participate in preferably with weekend matches and some training from time to time. I have a good amount of experience as I played in middle/school in an All-State team, but dropped it during college and since I've gotten a little out of shape but working on getting the endurance back. Oh yeah, and I'm 23. I wouldn't mind a mixed league if that's something around here.

I looked at Metroadultsoccer, but it's like 300$ for a season. I don't have that kind of money.

3) This one isn't really a hobby but I've been trying to find a good local place to eat Wings at. So far everything I tried based on google searches for 'best wings in LA' haven't been all that great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
1.) Check with the Los Angeles chapter of the Sierra Club. You might even enjoy going on local hikes ("Sierra singles") and in any case you can hook up with fellow climbing enthusiasts. And don't let me forget to mention our local holy grail of rock climbers, what we call "J-Tree," Joshua Tree National Monument (or maybe it has park status now). Although not a climber myself I've watched them play with their ropes, pitons and carabiners many times, and they sure acted like they're having fun! There's also some kind of group, 100 peaks? 1000 peaks? Might be part of the Sierra Club...

2.) Sorry, not a sports fan. Although I understand the "mixed." I'm single too, and like that too, like you. Maybe I should get some kind of sport, maybe softball. (I far exceed your years. Soccer would ruin me.)

3.) You'll probably get plenty of answers, but every place has wings, almost. I'm not a wing fan. You might try TGI Fridays, which is a big chain and I think they have tons of good stuff on their menu. There's one near you!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
The trails in Malibu are pretty cool, well traveled and maintained.
I love Wing Stops, little pricey but a lot of choices. Friday's has good wings, Red Robin. BJ's.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Give Hoagies and Wings a try: 14552 Ventura Blvd, S.O.

I like their BBQ and garlic parmesan wings, but I'm not a fan of hot wings because I can't stand vinegary hot sauce, so I have no idea if those are any good.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
a friend of mind is always going to an indoor rock climbing place somewhere in the valley. i'm sure you can find out more using google.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,985,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setgetgo View Post
Hello,

I recently moved to Los Angeles and immediately fell in love with it. I can't picture myself going back to the East Coast. Despite all the bad people talk about, the good outweighs it by miles and the people here are phenomenal. With that said I am still learning the city and some of the better places and I was hoping to get a little advice from other locals who have been here a while. I don't really have any friends out here to hang out with, only a couple acquaintances for work, so I'm looking to use my interests as a way to meet people as well.

* I am located on the edge of Sherman Oaks / Studio City.

1) Mountain climbing - Coming from good old flat Florida, I am totally loving the mountains everywhere. Are there any spots I could go and climb up some of them? I'm not looking to go the mountaintops or anything, just a little healthy activity. Oh, and I mean more like trails and stuff, not actually climbing up the side of them.

2) *#1 Hobby. This is the one that I really am interested in. I am looking for a local semi-competitive/competitive soccer league that I could participate in preferably with weekend matches and some training from time to time. I have a good amount of experience as I played in middle/school in an All-State team, but dropped it during college and since I've gotten a little out of shape but working on getting the endurance back. Oh yeah, and I'm 23. I wouldn't mind a mixed league if that's something around here.

I looked at Metroadultsoccer, but it's like 300$ for a season. I don't have that kind of money.

3) This one isn't really a hobby but I've been trying to find a good local place to eat Wings at. So far everything I tried based on google searches for 'best wings in LA' haven't been all that great.

Thanks!
The Santa Monica Mountains, southwest of you, largely covered a National Park system unit:
Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

The San Gabriel Mountains, northeast of you, mostly within the Angeles National Forest:
Angeles National Forest - Welcome!

Hiking trails and routes up and around mountains in both these areas (and elsewhere) are nicely covered in Schad's "Afoot & Afield in Los Angeles County":
Amazon.com: Afoot & Afield Los Angeles County: A Comprehensive Hiking Guide…

A bit further on from you, there's tons of more mountains in all directions in National Forests, National Parks, State Parks and BLM land.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:29 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,037 times
There are lots of places to hike and climb in this area. One popular area with locals is Rocky Peak, just a straight drive north on Topanga Canyon heading towards Simi Valley. From here you can also cross over to the Santa Susana Pass Road and find more hiking trails, along with ancient Chumash caves.

LA Trails - Rocky Peak

Santa Susana Mountain Park Association

Also, you can jump on the 101 freeway to the 23 and hike some lovely trails in Simi Valley/Thousand Oaks. The Long Canyon Trail is a favorite of mine...

MapMyHike.com | View Long Canyon in Simi Valley, California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles