Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 PM

249 posts, read 332,034 times

Advertisements

I am interested in learning more about how difficult it is to get into the mba program at Loyola Marymount University and a host of other things related to financial issues.
1) How much is a single/studio apartment near lmu? Are their reasonable apartments in the area?
2) What is the reputation of the mba program at LMU and the job prospects after getting the degree?
3) How does it compare the the various other MBA programs in LA?

I have looked at their website and it looks good! I am particularly interested in the Jesuit background of the school as I went to a Jesuit school for my undergrad.

I would like to get my emphasis in international business.

Any information would be helpful. I'm looking on applying for the Fall 2011 semester and am saving money up now and getting familiarized with the GMAT. I would definately have to work a job while getting the degree and would be moving from out of state. While my background is in state government (I actually work for my state's employment security division in a call center/processing unemployment claims), I also would be interested in doing legitimate swedish relaxation/esalen style massage and reiki as a job in LA.

I guess some of the main issues would be money and moving away from family and of course getting in!

I would like to have as much information as possible to make the decision (hope this is not too much information!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
LMU is a tier 2 school at best. if you're going to dish out the big bucks for an MBA, I'd look at UCLA or USC. IMHO, it wouldn't be worth the investment when you could pay considerably less at a state school.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
LMU is a tier 2 school at best. if you're going to dish out the big bucks for an MBA, I'd look at UCLA or USC. IMHO, it wouldn't be worth the investment when you could pay considerably less at a state school.
I agree. (Now getting into a state school with all these budget cuts would be the trick....)

Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
I would NOT move to LA JUST to get an MBA. LMU's program is "ok", but not awesome.

Also ... consider a masters in finance, over an MBA.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
You can find studios or one bedrooms within a mile from LMU in an older building in the $950-1100/mo range.

Look for listings in Playa Del Rey and Westchester, particularly on sides streets along Manchester within 1/2 mile of Lincoln Ave.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:56 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
If you want to study religion, go to a religious school. If you want an MBA, as BRinSM said, there are only 2, USC and UCLA. None of the rest will do you much good. Oh wait, I take that back, if you want to stay in state government or any other government, all MBAs are treated equally. It is just a checkbox. It isn't like you will actually use the knowledge working for a government entity but some positions pay more for a masters. In that case, I would just get the cheapest and easiest. There are tons that don't require a GMAT or any qualifying. If you have the cash, they have the MBA. Just keep in mind if you do go private, it will be worthless.

UCLA and USC are each going to be around $100k so it needs to be something that will really work for you. I do not think you get any break on the tuition at UCLA being in-state. I could be wrong but it isn't going to be a big break like an undergrad degree will be. Since you would like to emphasize on foreign business, I would put the nod to USC. They even include a trip to another country where you will work for a foreign company.

To find rent prices, use Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Move.com, ForRent.com, and Craigslist Apartments to get a general idea.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
UCLA and USC are each going to be around $100k so it needs to be something that will really work for you.
I almost choked when I read this cost but I realize that you're not far off for UCLA; it's now $72,000 for a resident and $82,000 for a non-resident. USC, being private, has to be far more than that now. (How on earth do people afford this today?)

Old 08-22-2010, 08:56 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Quote:
If you want to study religion, go to a religious school. If you want an MBA, as BRinSM said, there are only 2, USC and UCLA. None of the rest will do you much good. Oh wait, I take that back, if you want to stay in state government or any other government, all MBAs are treated equally. It is just a checkbox. It isn't like you will actually use the knowledge working for a government entity but some positions pay more for a masters. In that case, I would just get the cheapest and easiest. There are tons that don't require a GMAT or any qualifying. If you have the cash, they have the MBA. Just keep in mind if you do go private, it will be worthless.
The Pepperdine MBA is considered pretty up there. When
I got mine in 2002 it cost about $50K (just for tuition), but I am not sure what it costs today. BTW, it help me a lot with growing my career (and my pay check).

I disagree with the recommendation to get the cheapest degree. This is a life time investment, and if eventually one loses their government job, or just simply wants to move on to something else, that "cheap" MBA may not help a lot. One has to think long term...

Old 08-22-2010, 11:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
The Pepperdine MBA is considered pretty up there. When
I got mine in 2002 it cost about $50K (just for tuition), but I am not sure what it costs today. BTW, it help me a lot with growing my career (and my pay check).

I disagree with the recommendation to get the cheapest degree. This is a life time investment, and if eventually one loses their government job, or just simply wants to move on to something else, that "cheap" MBA may not help a lot. One has to think long term...
Yea, I was going to say Pepperdine and Chapman both have well respected MBA's. Cal State Fullerton also offers an MBA that is very well regarded considering it's from a Cal State school

Old 08-23-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
If you want to study religion, go to a religious school. If you want an MBA, as BRinSM said, there are only 2, USC and UCLA. None of the rest will do you much good.
Triple ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles