Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,788,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Amazing how people react, isn't it?
Yes, one might call the assumption that a tagger is a person "of color" racist in and of itself.

I just hate taggers, no matter what they're wrapped in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:47 PM

812 posts, read 1,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
1) Employ only people who have the legal right to work in US.
Life being full of so many wonderful ironies, I'm always bemused observing the large proportion of "illegals" tempted to risk life and limb to come to the US in hope for jobs/wages US-born workers shun, but which said "illegals" could never hope to find in their country of origin, who are lured IN by employers who can keep labor costs down and thereby generate tremendous wealth by hiring said "illegals" (the owners of several major sports franchises in my region acquired vast wealth with this general technique). The political persuasion of these employers of large numbers of illegals is almost invariably ... ultra-conservative ... the identical mind-set of the "patriot vigilantes" patrolling the SW borders so bent on keeping the vermin OUT. Its like the rich vs not-rich members of the group just need to sit down and work it out. The financial benefits of cheap, undocumented labor vs. get rid of the non-English speakers. As long as the first group of ultra-conservatives is offering work and benefiting from the "spread," the second group of ultra-conservatives will be hopping mad and blaming ... liberals.

Back when I lived in LA, the only thing I wanted to change was the decade of my birth, so I could go back and get me some of those great deals on houses back in the day.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 PM

26,598 posts, read 26,498,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Back when I lived in LA, the only thing I wanted to change was the decade of my birth, so I could go back and get me some of those great deals on houses back in the day.
Right. A house for $10,000....but we seem to forget that a professional's yearly salary was around $6,000 back then. I think we're all dreaming here. Getting rid of gangs? No small feat. Maybe instead of complaining, we should be volunteering to work for something like Summer Night Lights.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,002,075 times
Quote:
Have you ever read the book "Snakes in Suits?" Its a psychological study about socio/psychopaths in the workplace. I'm sure the entirety of it was written about my boss, LOL! Seriously, just 45 days ago we only had 5 vacancies throughout over 20 apartment holdings. Now, we are nearing 80. That is BAD! Yet, he has just raised the rates again. I'm convinced he is either insane or Napoleon incarnate.
No Cyanna, I haven't, but I am pleased to inform you that I have a policy to read any book that somebody recommends, and I have placed a reservation at LAPL to have that book sent to me. I will read about the first 50 pages and then decide if it's worth reading to the end.

Now I challenge you to read "Mexifornia: A State of Becoming" (I quoted and referred the book earlier in this topic or another) and you too should read 50 pages, and then let's exchange book reports.

Really and truly I did just reserve the book. I promise I'll start reading it, and will finish it if it's interesting.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
The guy went on the run, was captured, tried and found guilty, escaped prison, was captured and finally paroled after 25 years. I next found him in another state, where he had been shot and murdered by his wife. Divine justcie
Poetic justice.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Life being full of so many wonderful ironies, I'm always bemused observing the large proportion of "illegals" tempted to risk life and limb to come to the US in hope for jobs/wages US-born workers shun, but which said "illegals" could never hope to find in their country of origin, who are lured IN by employers who can keep labor costs down and thereby generate tremendous wealth by hiring said "illegals" (the owners of several major sports franchises in my region acquired vast wealth with this general technique). The political persuasion of these employers of large numbers of illegals is almost invariably ... ultra-conservative ... the identical mind-set of the "patriot vigilantes" patrolling the SW borders so bent on keeping the vermin OUT. Its like the rich vs not-rich members of the group just need to sit down and work it out. The financial benefits of cheap, undocumented labor vs. get rid of the non-English speakers. As long as the first group of ultra-conservatives is offering work and benefiting from the "spread," the second group of ultra-conservatives will be hopping mad and blaming ... liberals.

My eyes are glazing over. Evidently you are infected by the world mentality, where every person has the right to live wherever they want. Maybe we will achieve that some day but with the current major political dislocations "want to live there" countries like the US would bear the brunt of immigration at will.

I'd like to live in your world but I am forced to live in the cold harsh world of our present day.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 PM

8,437 posts, read 10,859,137 times
Seems like the traffic is the main problem.
Years ago, before the extra lanes were added to the ventura freeway, I propossed a solution to the terrible traffic way back then.
No one listened to my suggestion, so it laid dormant for years.
Now. I bring it up once more.
I couldn't even guess how many cars are on the road each and every day in this state.
Just dealing with Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernadino counties, here is my plan.
Before beginning, let me say, Law enforcement, military,fire department, emergency, medical services and public transportation would be exempt.
All the rest would have to abide.
I suggested what needs to be done is, issue every vehicle registered in these counties a number from 1 too 5
You would not be allowed to drive your vehicle on the day that corresponds with the day of the week denoted on your sticker.
Example, if your number is 1, you can't use the vehicle on Monday.
Tuesday is 2 and so on.
If caught driving the vehicle on the day it is banned, the fine would be $500.00 and impoundment of the vehicle.
This plan would force people to carpool, or take public transportation.
Just guessing here, but this plan would proably take over a million vehicles off the road every day, and perhaps more.
Bob.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,460,297 times
Quote:
No Cyanna, I haven't, but I am pleased to inform you that I have a policy to read any book that somebody recommends, and I have placed a reservation at LAPL to have that book sent to me. I will read about the first 50 pages and then decide if it's worth reading to the end.

Now I challenge you to read "Mexifornia: A State of Becoming" (I quoted and referred the book earlier in this topic or another) and you too should read 50 pages, and then let's exchange book reports.

Really and truly I did just reserve the book. I promise I'll start reading it, and will finish it if it's interesting.
Its a deal I have the book on my list and will get a cioy as soon as I get settled in to my new home in October. Two reasons...no libraries within close proximity to my house, and buying a copy is out of the question right now. Saving every extra cent for the move, LOL! But I will definately read it. I am a read-a-holic and read just about anything

Old 08-14-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I suggested what needs to be done is, issue every vehicle registered in these counties a number from 1 too 5
You would not be allowed to drive your vehicle on the day that corresponds with the day of the week denoted on your sticker.
Example, if your number is 1, you can't use the vehicle on Monday.
Tuesday is 2 and so on.
If caught driving the vehicle on the day it is banned, the fine would be $500.00 and impoundment of the vehicle.
This plan would force people to carpool, or take public transportation.
Just guessing here, but this plan would proably take over a million vehicles off the road every day, and perhaps more.
Fine. Let's change the state name to Kalifornia. You don't understand that you're asking a car culture to leave their altar. So not going to happen.

Quote:
Its a deal I have the book on my list and will get a cioy as soon as ...
Even as I type your recommended book is on its way within the LAPL system to my favored library. I'll read the first 50 pages, and continue if it keeps my interest.

I really like my rule, not to read the first 50 pages, but rather to close the book and forget it if it doesn't hook me within 50-100 pages. I read far fewer books now that I know that it's okay to not finish them, even a suspense novel that is not sufficiently suspenseful. Who cares what's the ending of an unsuspenseful suspense novel?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:35 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,460,297 times
Quote:

I read far fewer books now that I know that it's okay to not finish them, even a suspense novel that is not sufficiently suspenseful. Who cares what's the ending of an unsuspenseful suspense novel?
That is one of my resolutions...to STOP reading a book if it is boring me or, even worse, has such a terrible ending that I leterally throw it in the trash. I really, really HATE to throw any book in the trash, LOL! I'm kind of the same way with DVDs...doesn't matter how slow, tedious, ridiculous or boring it is, if I've paid to watch it I'm damn well going to watch every excrutiating minute of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles