Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

I think there's a natural curiosity to want to find out how a movie or book ends, and that it can persist even when the movie or book is tedious and boring. Years ago I would continue punishing myself because I couldn't resist discovering how the plot turned out. One day I made a resolution that I would never read past page 100 of a boring book, tried it a few times and discovered that each time I did it it became easier to do it.

Today I've often got several novels waiting to be read and when I'm in the middle of a boring one (like a few days ago) I began thinking of what I was missing by not picking up a more exciting book, so I put the boring book in the return to library pile and now I'm reading a more interesting one. I spend so much time reading anyway that it's too much time to waste on boring books.

We have a pretty good library system here in L.A. I recommend getting all your books there unless they are ones that you want to have your own personal copy to keep. And for DVDs, I've had great experiences with both Netflix and Blockbuster, and IMO both are a very good deal.

Any books I read at the library that I want my own copy (always non-fiction) and any DVDs I want my own copy, I buy them on Amazon (or occasionally eBay) either new or sometimes used. I never face the problem of paying good money for something that is so bad I want to throw it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 12:07 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
We do actually ue Netflix. Much easier to have them delivered than to drive around Van Nuys to the local video rental. Once I get back to Simi I will use the library there and in Thousand Oaks, where I still have cards, LOL!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 AM

20 posts, read 45,889 times
1. Decrease the population! I'm sorry but I'm just too selfish to expand my home city to 5mil.~ in the next 10 years. This also includes the illegal immigrants arriving from less fortunate countries. Not a racial issue.

2. Criminals and their crimes should be taken more seriously. A lot of these important matters are taken too lightly, therefore the rates get higher and higher. I miss how Perth never used to be on the news for murders and all.

3. Justice to all Australian citizens. The government should be fairer in their decisions for a better country. Boo for politics.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
1) Proactive reduction of crime through cohesive community efforts, working together with the police.

They do this now in Oxnard and it works.

2) Keeping the streets and sidewalks clean of litter, dog poop, human poop and discarded drug paraphenalia.

I have not seen this in my part of the world.

3) Lower rents with better amenities for those who are truly struggling and just want a nice place to live.[/quote]

Rents are down from in the past. I have seen 1 bed 1 baths in the $800 range now. Then again this is not the midwest and places may cost more. I have seen plenty of low cost nice places in the Phoenix area. $400 for a nice place out there. That is amazing.

My big 3

1: Lower Taxes. To do this we could reduce what the cities pay the staff. I mean the city of LA pays window washers $50,000 + a year at LAX.

2: Better schools. To do this we can get rid of educators that do not educate. How many administrators does a school district need? Also eliminate the School employee unions. Too much is spent on bad teachers that are protected from the union.

3. Get rid of professional elected officials and go back to the part time legislature. We have created a group of people that seem to think that they are the ruling class. This includes City elected officials. Bell isn't the only place that is getting ripped off. Other cities are in a similar boat.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM

21 posts, read 81,384 times
1. decreased crime and violence/betterment of ghetto areas in general.
2. affordable housing
3. public transportation, please!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
More dedicated involvement in programs like Neighborhood Watch. The local police would need to really come down hard on gangs in some areas to make this viable. Less intimidation=more involvement.

Less Welfare funding and more community betterment funding. This would allow more working people to benefit from our tax dollars.

More community support for smaller businesses and new innovations.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM

30 posts, read 63,509 times
1. Fire everybody from Schwarzenegger right down to Villaragosa's adviser's driver's assistant's co-masseuse.

2. Three words: "Right To Work"

3. Re-write the state's tax code so that there's an influx of profitable businesses and employed residents.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
From a fellow old fart: I'm with you, tho the desert holds no interest for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The OP requested opinions of our area, not the entire state, so I'm leaving Sacramental out of this. Same reason for not touching on immigration, as that's not Fontana's fault.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy living here. As a fellow old fart native Angeleno, I know that's hard for you to grasp, but it am de troof. I have no designs on living anywhere else. I'm content. If I relocate anywhere at all, it'll be out into the high desert where there are very few people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles