Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on which would be a better place to live if working in downtown LA? I also would travel 3-4 days out of the month so it would be nice to have a reasonable drive to the airport.

I also heard Santa Clarita is a nice, safe area but it sounds a bit far and may be a little slow for a single 30-something professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 PM

157 posts, read 828,616 times
I think that if you are working downtown, that you'd be much better off in Pasadena. I love Marina del Rey, and it is an easy drive to the airport, but Pasadena is a much easier drive downtown. Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
Pasadena is teeming with life and a nice, easy place to live. Commute to Downtown isn't bad at all. I've lived there as a 30something professional and loved it. My place was on the edge of Old Pas and we never lacked things to do. Burbank airport is a great secret---incredibly easy and you can be from curb, through security and to your gate in 20 minutes. This airport was 15 minutes from my door most days.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 PM

25 posts, read 84,002 times
I work downtown and live near Pasadena. Though the 110 is hellish, you can exit off to a number of side streets that will take you in more quickly. I don't know much about Marina del Rey, but I can say that Pasadena is a gem, well-managed and well-governed. Lots of cultural and educational opportunities, and gorgeous architecturally to boot. The Westside may have better weather, but it's just strip malls and condos as far as I can tell.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:16 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
Thanks for sharing. This is very helpful!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
They are very different. Pasadena has a small town feel, quaint, old money, but also yuppy, community oriented with traditions and its own unique identity and sensibility. Not to mention it has some of the most beautiful residential neighborhoods in the country. You would be closer to downtown as others have mentioned. The downsides are that Pasadena is farther away from LAX and can get hot and smoggy, especially during the summer. Nevertheless, everyone I have ever known who has lived in Pasadena absolutely love the place.

Marina Del Rey on the other hand is near the ocean and on the Westside, which will put you close to Santa Monica and Venice Beach to the north and Manhattan and Hermosa Beaches to the south. The beach communities are more laidback and eclectic, but at can also be more fast paced and hectic because of the high population density and more diverse demographic. The biggest pluses are that there is a greater variety of things to see and do on the Westside, you would be close to LAX, and the coastal climate is better than in Pasadena. Downsides are you would have a longer commute to downtown and Westside traffic and congestion to contend with on a daily basis. But living near the ocean can be irresistible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles