U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 PM
 
23 posts, read 51,360 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

How did you get the sales job BTW? I really actually want to do sales anyway I can get it - sales experience is the real deal of business. More people should get that. It will pay off big time too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2010, 12:17 AM
 
8 posts, read 17,393 times
Reputation: 10
misdeliver, thanks a lot for your comments. I totally agree with you in regards to the construction field that will take a long time to recover. My only hope momentarily is to apply for government jobs but that has it's own downfall. Government jobs may take 6 months to a year to be processed and let you know that if you are a candidate or not. quite frankly, i see very little chance in that area as well since there are many jobless engineers out there looking for any opportunity!!

As far as IT management position, it will take some times for me to get that degree and if i want to do anything after finishing my degree would be to get my MBA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 AM
 
8 posts, read 17,393 times
Reputation: 10
As far as the sales job, i had prior experience in sales before going to engineering. There are many dealers out there that aggressivly looking for sales person. Unfortunately, these days everything is slow and sales people can not make money as they used to. It is only trying to survive and pay your bills, there is no way to be able to save some money and that is frustrating and stressful. Government has to help small businesses helping them to hire more people and that is the only way to turn around the economy not by giving away billions of dollars to wealthy banks and make them more wealthier. This is outrageous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 AM
 
Location: los angeles/florida
485 posts, read 1,613,758 times
Reputation: 264
Well, my husband is in the L.A. Carpenters Union and has been out of work since May 2008- the construction industry is in baaaaaad shape. He was making about $30/hour and is now hoping for a bagging position at Trader Joe's....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Mt Washington: NELA
1,162 posts, read 3,071,283 times
Reputation: 642
I don't know what kind of carpentry he does, but I would strongly suggest checking out LAX. Stantru is there (8100 Westchester Parkway), so is J.T. Wimsatt. Stantru does parking structures, concrete work. Wimsatt pretty much concrete.

Lots of long-term work. There will be background checks and drug tests, but if he can get past that, its a pretty decent gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Well, my husband is in the L.A. Carpenters Union and has been out of work since May 2008- the construction industry is in baaaaaad shape. He was making about $30/hour and is now hoping for a bagging position at Trader Joe's....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,290 posts, read 29,705,584 times
Reputation: 21809
We are building a couple buildings now. By the end of the year we will be starting on a 3 and a half year $325,000,000 new hospital project. Then again as far as I know the General for our cancer center building did not use a union carpenter to build the building. The bid went to a non union contractor. The union did show up to picket us though. They pay these people $11 an hour to hang out and hold a banner that lets everyone know we are a shamefull place to work, LOL. I read one of their flyers that they pass out. They state that the non union contractors don't have health insurance and it will cost the public if they get hurt which is not true. They do have workers comp insurance and if the workers get hurt that insurance pays for their injuries. They stated that the non union employers don't fund the workers retirement. So what, no one does that anymore. It also stated on the flyer that the workers are not being paid standard wages. Funny because of the ones I talked to they were happy to be making the money that they are making. The workers are not complaining, but the union is complaining because their members didn't get the job. The funny thing was that when I asked the picketers if the union is paying them a standard wage, paying for their health insurance, or paying into their retirement accounts they said no, that they get $11 an hour and are happy to be working.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Mt Washington: NELA
1,162 posts, read 3,071,283 times
Reputation: 642
I know people forced to go to the County for healthcare because their employers (yes, non-Union) have crappy or non-existent coverage. WE, the taxpayers foot the bill for that. I'm not saying all non-Union employers do that, but it certainly exists.

And funding my retirement? Yeah, I like the idea. Who wouldn't?

And banner duty or no banner duty, picketers get banked hours that go toward their medical coverage.

Someone else posted that they thought it a good idea for California to become a 'right to work' state, like Nevada. Well, Las Vegas is a ghost town, with abandoned tower cranes. Most of their work is privately funded (casinos, resorts) and when the economy dried up, the work stopped. Here in Los Angeles, on the other hand, we voted Prop BB into law. Now we are able to survive through this economy through construction of new schools and renovations throughout the LAUSD. The Unions had a lot to do with that, telling their members that is was in their best interest to push for more construction. Of course, non-Union contractors benefitted as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We are building a couple buildings now. By the end of the year we will be starting on a 3 and a half year $325,000,000 new hospital project. Then again as far as I know the General for our cancer center building did not use a union carpenter to build the building. The bid went to a non union contractor. The union did show up to picket us though. They pay these people $11 an hour to hang out and hold a banner that lets everyone know we are a shamefull place to work, LOL. I read one of their flyers that they pass out. They state that the non union contractors don't have health insurance and it will cost the public if they get hurt which is not true. They do have workers comp insurance and if the workers get hurt that insurance pays for their injuries. They stated that the non union employers don't fund the workers retirement. So what, no one does that anymore. It also stated on the flyer that the workers are not being paid standard wages. Funny because of the ones I talked to they were happy to be making the money that they are making. The workers are not complaining, but the union is complaining because their members didn't get the job. The funny thing was that when I asked the picketers if the union is paying them a standard wage, paying for their health insurance, or paying into their retirement accounts they said no, that they get $11 an hour and are happy to be working.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 11:54 PM
 
Location: los angeles/florida
485 posts, read 1,613,758 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
I don't know what kind of carpentry he does, but I would strongly suggest checking out LAX. Stantru is there (8100 Westchester Parkway), so is J.T. Wimsatt. Stantru does parking structures, concrete work. Wimsatt pretty much concrete.

Lots of long-term work. There will be background checks and drug tests, but if he can get past that, its a pretty decent gig.
Thank you so much for this information! I'll let him know about it now. He'd have no problem with the background and drug tests, and has amazing references from his former construction supervisors. He has also worked on parking structures, bridges and other heavy construction in the past. Thanks again! He would really love to work again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Malibu/Miami Beach
1,069 posts, read 3,101,022 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
I am a civil engineer with 4 years experience in public works projects. I got laid off last November and since then I have been searching for a job but have had ZERO luck so far!

I am also finishing my master's degree in construction management and i was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance as where to look for a construction or construction management jobs. I have contacted many construction companies but no one is hiring and they are all in hiring freeze right now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Research and Development Scientist or Engineer - Halliburton
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,290 posts, read 29,705,584 times
Reputation: 21809
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
I know people forced to go to the County for healthcare because their employers (yes, non-Union) have crappy or non-existent coverage. WE, the taxpayers foot the bill for that. I'm not saying all non-Union employers do that, but it certainly exists.

And funding my retirement? Yeah, I like the idea. Who wouldn't?

And banner duty or no banner duty, picketers get banked hours that go toward their medical coverage.

Someone else posted that they thought it a good idea for California to become a 'right to work' state, like Nevada. Well, Las Vegas is a ghost town, with abandoned tower cranes. Most of their work is privately funded (casinos, resorts) and when the economy dried up, the work stopped. Here in Los Angeles, on the other hand, we voted Prop BB into law. Now we are able to survive through this economy through construction of new schools and renovations throughout the LAUSD. The Unions had a lot to do with that, telling their members that is was in their best interest to push for more construction. Of course, non-Union contractors benefitted as well.
You telling me that the 2 60+ year old women that are sitting on the sidewalk are holding a banner are part of the carpenters union? Many employers don't offer health coverage. But all employers have workers comp insurance. Why should employers be forced to fund someones retirement account. Most places in the world don't do that.

Thank you for bringing up the Union contract with the LAUSD. Big problem in this state is that the UNIONs are bankrupting it. We are building schools because no other jobs are available. Elected officials in this state are beholden to the Unions. Since no jobs are happening you created them. Thank you very much for that. We all get to pay for that in higher taxes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top