Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times

Advertisements

Some interesting positions you are taking, but I am not making the connections.

Employers agree to pay into pension, healthcare, et al via their Union Agreements. They certainly aren't forced to do anything, not by the Union or anyone else. And more jobs = higher taxes? You'll have to explain that one to me. It's work and everyone needs to work. How could that be a bad thing?

My powers do not include being able to identify the banner people. I was assuming you were talking about people from the Carpenters Union. Got something against 60-year old women...??

We the taxpayers are funding construction of schools because the need is critical. Same thing goes for the bridges and other infrastructure. Angelenos VOTED for Proposition BB (perhaps you didn't, but it did pass). Are you saying we don't need new schools?

And do non-Union Contractors or their Associations sponsor programs like Helmets to Hardhats? I guess it can't be a Union gig because your taxes didn't go up.

United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America - Helmets to Hardhats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You telling me that the 2 60+ year old women that are sitting on the sidewalk are holding a banner are part of the carpenters union? Many employers don't offer health coverage. But all employers have workers comp insurance. Why should employers be forced to fund someones retirement account. Most places in the world don't do that.

Thank you for bringing up the Union contract with the LAUSD. Big problem in this state is that the UNIONs are bankrupting it. We are building schools because no other jobs are available. Elected officials in this state are beholden to the Unions. Since no jobs are happening you created them. Thank you very much for that. We all get to pay for that in higher taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 11:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
LAUSD just built 3 new schools within the last few years. The total cost is over $1billion for those 3 schools. The current one that is in the news cost almost $600million to build. The remainder of the nation is looking at the LAUSD as wastefull. For comparison, in Orange County they built a new school recently for $50million. Then again maybe they like putting their money into teaching kids and not building a palace.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:33 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
I thought we were talking Unions. No matter.

This from Buildings Magazine:

Over the next several years, the district will complete the construction of approximately 150 new schools, as well as more than 70 classroom addition projects, at a price tag of $11.7 billion to accommodate its substantial growth in student population, and undertake an aggressive, $7.5-billion modernization, upgrade, and repair program to address the aging buildings throughout LAUSD’s 800-plus campuses.

Growth Spurt at LAUSD

I can only assume you do not live in the City, much less go anywhere near it. New school construction is everywhere. Many of these jobs are absolutely HUGE. It isn't even worth debating.

Here are some sites that come to mind (though there are many, many more):

61st and Central
4127 E Cesar Chavez
46th and Western
3200 Washington (near Vermont)
831 Bonnie Beach (near City Terrace)
South Region HS #7 (South Gate, but part of LAUSD)
Monte Vista ES (not far from my house) got additional classrooms
Aldama ES (ditto)
Central Region Elementary #14 (the numbered schools would be a clue that there have been more than '...3 new schools within the last few years.')

And I'm not even mentioning the numerous existing schools that have had additions, make-overs and other improvements done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
LAUSD just built 3 new schools within the last few years. The total cost is over $1billion for those 3 schools. The current one that is in the news cost almost $600million to build. The remainder of the nation is looking at the LAUSD as wastefull. For comparison, in Orange County they built a new school recently for $50million. Then again maybe they like putting their money into teaching kids and not building a palace.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
How the HECK did a thread come up on its own that is 5 flipping years old.. The economy has since then TAKEN OFF>>>>
Its Flying and this thread is Totally Irrelavent

Old 04-01-2015, 03:54 PM

39 posts, read 58,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
How the HECK did a thread come up on its own that is 5 flipping years old.. The economy has since then TAKEN OFF>>>>
Its Flying and this thread is Totally Irrelavent
The thread didn't come up on it's own, you posted in it, reviving the thread.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 PM

490 posts, read 660,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsis View Post
the thread didn't come up on it's own, you posted in it, reviving the thread.
lollol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles