Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:21 AM

8 posts, read 13,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBoy99 View Post
Do you mind me asking what department you have been hired into? I'm guessing Assurance. If so do you know what industry? For example if you are Entertainment & Media assurance in LA, you will likely spend a lot of time in the Burbank area rather than the office downtown.
I got placed in Audit. Don't know the industry yet though. If I do decide to drive, then does this change things slightly? I guess I can include suburbs now as well (my parents said that I have to get a car to do anything in LA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beancounter88 View Post
I got placed in Audit. Don't know the industry yet though. If I do decide to drive, then does this change things slightly? I guess I can include suburbs now as well (my parents said that I have to get a car to do anything in LA).
You're parents aren't exactly right.

However if you're young and willing to take public transportation you can save quite a bit of money. But you'll need to have a thick skin, which given this thread's title doesn't seem likely. LOL.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
you can live many places in the area and survive without a car, but in reality, if you want to enjoy your time in and around Los Angeles you will want to have one. I would still consintrate in areas like Eagle Rock, maybe Highland Park, Pasadena and So Pasadena.

You will have the option then, to use public transportation, all 4 have young people (not So Pasa probably as much) they are relatively to very safe and very close to downtown.
Nita

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 AM

6 posts, read 14,258 times
Quote:
Knowing the industry might help - if you are in financial services, then living downtown would be convenient as that's where most of your clients will be. But even so, once you develop a network of friends, chances are most of them won't be living downtown, and if you wanna see them it will be easier to drive than to take public transport.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,139 times
There's plenty of buildings in the dowtown area that are either refurbished old buildings or new ones (built in the 90s) that have lofts and are secure. Downtown is pretty much closed down after 5 o' clock every day (though there is still lots of traffic until around 7) as far as stores are concerned but there are still some pretty nice restaurants around there. I was surprised to find buildings near Pershing Square that had plenty of young professsionals, single and married, with and without children. That's just a few blocks from Bunker Hill and not too far from Little Tokyo so there should be plenty to do and eat on a modest budget.

There's also the area immediately surrounding FIDM. There's lots of new lofts and apartments there and even a Ralphs (it may seem like no big deal but, having grown up near downtown, it was strange for me to see a Ralphs so close to Staple Center) but it is near FIDM so I can't guarantee that the crowd won't be too artsy fartsy for you.

Same goes for the artist district. Now THAT is a nice area to live in. It seems ominous because it is so close to skid row and most of the lofts are what I call "true lofts" (meaning that they are in refurbished factory buildings) so the streets don't seem like a residential area but it's a very tight knit community. They will DEFINITELY be artsy fartsy though; it is the artist district after all.

There's also "lofts" and apartments in Little Tokyo that I've seen young professionals living in every time my wife and I go to our favorite sushi restaurant.

Sorry I didn't give you prices but at least now you have plenty of areas in downtown that meet your criteria (safe, walking distance from work, places to eat and things to do and public transportation) to look up.

While you're searching online don't forget to check reviews on the apartments that you get interested in. Stay away from the Medici or any of their other projects. Stay away from the Belmont tunnel apartments also. They look cool but are in a very inconvenient (traffic wise) location and surrounded by questionable apartment houses. I've also read bad reviews on them.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM

35 posts, read 97,235 times
that's a decent salary for someone who will be working most of the time. you won't be spending too much time drinking a partying there are a lot of great lofts and apartments downtown that are very reasonably priced - certainly under $2000 a month and that would be for a really nice place. and even though it's not a priority for you...downtown is kinda "hip" these days, especially for your age group.
good luck

Old 08-25-2010, 11:33 PM

221 posts, read 347,691 times
I'm currently apartment shopping in LA. Trust me, on finances, you'll be fine. I'm making in the $50K range, and it sounds like I have a lot more expenses than you, and it's still OK. Just make a budget so you have a target amount for rental shopping, and then start poking around.

As FYI, out of the West Coast locations, LA is cheaper than San Francisco or Seattle. The median income in Seattle is way higher than LA, and rentals reflect that.

I'm finding in terms of good, artsy neighborhood + safety + low-ish cost on studios and one bedrooms (especially since I want renovated historical, not new construction), Silver Lake and Los Feliz are high on the list. I work in Downtown.

I looked at Downtown living, but to be honest, the lofts in buildings that don't have awful reviews are running a lot more $ than a similar apartment in Silver Lake or Los Feliz. Mid-Wilshire and Koreatown seem uber cheap, with lots of renovated historical buildings, but I don't know about safety there and people have told me the area is very boring. I guess South Park is a new up and coming area, according to reports I've heard.

Lots of people like Pasadena and such, but I am not a fan of the burbs and so it is my last resort.

As a last bit of info- you will want a car in southern California. Unlike Seattle or San Francisco, public transit is not that great. I know a few people without cars, but they are disgruntled a lot. Also, if you have to get to client properties, you will want a car. Some areas have transit close by and others don't. You'll want to remember that in Downtown, parking is typically extra (not included with rent). In other areas, there is more available parking and it's usually cheaper or included in rent (or on the street, though you want to be sure there actually IS parking available usually on the street).

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post
I'm currently apartment shopping in LA. Trust me, on finances, you'll be fine. I'm making in the $50K range, and it sounds like I have a lot more expenses than you, and it's still OK. Just make a budget so you have a target amount for rental shopping, and then start poking around.

As FYI, out of the West Coast locations, LA is cheaper than San Francisco or Seattle. The median income in Seattle is way higher than LA, and rentals reflect that.

I'm finding in terms of good, artsy neighborhood + safety + low-ish cost on studios and one bedrooms (especially since I want renovated historical, not new construction), Silver Lake and Los Feliz are high on the list. I work in Downtown.

I looked at Downtown living, but to be honest, the lofts in buildings that don't have awful reviews are running a lot more $ than a similar apartment in Silver Lake or Los Feliz. Mid-Wilshire and Koreatown seem uber cheap, with lots of renovated historical buildings, but I don't know about safety there and people have told me the area is very boring. I guess South Park is a new up and coming area, according to reports I've heard.

Lots of people like Pasadena and such, but I am not a fan of the burbs and so it is my last resort.

As a last bit of info- you will want a car in southern California. Unlike Seattle or San Francisco, public transit is not that great. I know a few people without cars, but they are disgruntled a lot. Also, if you have to get to client properties, you will want a car. Some areas have transit close by and others don't. You'll want to remember that in Downtown, parking is typically extra (not included with rent). In other areas, there is more available parking and it's usually cheaper or included in rent (or on the street, though you want to be sure there actually IS parking available usually on the street).

Good luck!
I think you probably are a better resource than most of us, you are going checking prices and looking right now.

I had thought about the cost of parking, for the OP as well. Those who suggest living downtown apparently didn't think about this or know about it.

As for the Los Feliz area, etc, versus Pasadena, for you it is a good match, but I am not sure the OP mentioned anything about wanting to live in an artsy district. You are right, that is what Silverlake district is like. By the way, I don't think most would really consider Pasa burbs. I guess it depends on what one considers burbs. When I think of the "burbs" and SGV, I think of Arcadia and east from there.

Nita

Old 08-26-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:

Good luck!
I think you probably are a better resource than most of us, you are going checking prices and looking right now.

I had thought about the cost of parking, for the OP as well. Those who suggest living downtown apparently didn't think about this or know about it.

As for the Los Feliz area, etc, versus Pasadena, for you it is a good match, but I am not sure the OP mentioned anything about wanting to live in an artsy district. You are right, that is what Silverlake district is like. By the way, I don't think most would really consider Pasa burbs. I guess it depends on what one considers burbs. When I think of the "burbs" and SGV, I think of family friendly, family oriented areas with more houses than apratments, not a great or large downtown area. So Pasa, Arcadia, San Marino all come to mind.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 AM

8 posts, read 13,582 times
Quote:

Good luck!
Seattle is MORE expensive than LA? Isn't the average house price higher in LA along with food, taxes, etc.? Are you sure about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles