Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM

56 posts, read 138,558 times

Advertisements

I lived in Downey and owned a house there. It's been seven years since I left, but I doubt if it has changed much. I used to describe Downey as an oasis of nice surrounded by some pretty bad areas. When I lived there, it was a divided city, with Firestone Blvd. being the dividing line. North Downey had less crime than south Downey. I lived a few blocks north of Firestone, and for the majority of the time I lived there, I didn't lock my door at night. I never had a problem with crime.

I moved there because it was 10 minutes from work. Housing prices weren't too bad when I bought (1999). If I were to do it again, I'd probably drive a little further and live in Long Beach. Other than being a safe place to live, there isn't much going on in Downey. However, with all the freeways that go through (5, 605, 105, 710), you can quickly get to other places.

Neighboring Southgate was like a different country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:46 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
downey AND southgate are not south central. thats just ridiculous. and while south gate has seen better times, it is by no means a south central-esque area. anyone who thinks so has probably never been to south C.

downey is nice. harrykarry summed it up pretty well.

downey is a desirable, family oriented city. does it have problems? ya, as does santa monica.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,942 times
I used to think that Downey was lame.

Recently, a Cuban pastry restaurant called Porto's opened there.

D-D-D-D-TOWN UP!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 11,919 times
I have been to Downey twice and both times it was "eh".

Not too much to do there, it kind of reminds me of LA Harbor.

No disrespect to anyone who lives there, but I would prefer not to live there given a choice

Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Downey is a working class to middle class mostly latino city with healthy business/shopping areas.

It is not a ghetto or barrio. the Crapenters ( brother AND SISTER TAG TEAM) WHERE FROM THERE
When the Carpenters were living in Downey it was a much different place. I agree that it has a large Latino population that has exploded over the past 10 years. I would not live in Downey because of the rate of decline but it does still have a few decent areas if you don't mind being surrounded by "not so good" areas. It will all be downhill in another decade.

If I were to link a musician/band with Downey then I would say James Hetfield of Metallica is from Downey.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 PM

110 posts, read 236,811 times
you cant compare downey to the bad areas of norwalk, sure there are some shady areas closer to paramount, but for the most part, i would compare it to santa fe springs: an ok half industrial and half residential area.

and for the person that said that the police locked them up for not being a resident, i highly doubt that it ever happened, because if it were true, have of the people on firestone blvd would be under arrest for"just passing through".

Old 07-12-2012, 11:45 AM

329 posts, read 627,966 times
I live in Downey. The city has seen better days but city is turning around. As an asian I was more drawn to Cerritos but couldn't afford to buy in Cerritos so we ended up here at the end of 2009. Last time I was here it was 1997-1999(buddies went to downey high) and the city was deteriorating. Since then I haven't seen downey until 2009, wow what a difference! I've heard many robberies and home burglaries in Cerritos, and contrary to popular belief, Cerritos isn't always safe. New super mall is replacing Downey studios. With construction set to begin later this year, can't wait for it to be finished.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
I used to think that Downey was lame.

Recently, a Cuban pastry restaurant called Porto's opened there.

D-D-D-D-TOWN UP!
There's a Porto's in Downey now? Yummy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles