Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 21,705 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to an apartment with my two small children. Several weeks back my nanny calls me at work and tells me there are roaches in the kitchen, I immediately call the landlord. He come round to the apartment without my being present and is about to shower Boric acid on the kitchen floor, my nanny stops him and tells him that she will give this to me and that I will take care of it when the children are not around. About a month ago I had surgery on my knee and during the recovery I temporarily moved the kids to their father house and I went to my friend’s house. Over the weekend I came back home and noticed on the bathroom floor ants, ants in the living room etc. etc. I did not think much of that until I went into the garage, there were hundreds and thousands of ants everywhere. Without thinking I took the white powder that the landlord gave me and poured it in the garage and outside of my apartment. The following morning when I went into the garage I did not see any ants. GREAT!!! Later on in the day my landlord calls me screaming and yelling at me about this stuff and tells me "it’s about time I left", he actually made me cry. He told me that Boric acid is highly dangerous and illegal.....my issue is why did he bring it to my house with two small children??? Please if anyone is out there who has better understanding of Boric acid can you please advice on this matter. Thanks in advance.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:03 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Boric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Highly dangerous? To ants and roaches, yeah. Illegal? Not even close.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Overreacting much? Boric Acid is as dangerous as salt from a shaker.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 AM

Default Boric Acid

Okay, should I not worry? The other thing is how do I get rid of the powder marks in the garage and from outside of my unit? thanks.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Boric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Highly dangerous? To ants and roaches, yeah. Illegal? Not even close.

What should I use for the ants, they are still squatting with me?

Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazb View Post
Boric Acid is very good for getting rid of roaches and ants. But it would take a hella lot of it, to get rid of thousands of them. To beat a problem like that, you would need to have a professional extermination come and spray pesticide around the entire perimeter of the building. Then come back and do it again on a regular basis, until the problem is solved. Most landlords are too cheap to do it. It's probably easier just to move.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Boric Acid is very good for getting rid of roaches and ants. But it would take a hella lot of it, to get rid of thousands of them. To beat a problem like that, you would need to have a professional extermination come and spray pesticide around the entire perimeter of the building. Then come back and do it again on a regular basis, until the problem is solved. Most landlords are too cheap to do it. It's probably easier just to move.

The landlord gave me three day noitce to quit, I responded with OK, he then said I could not do that as I have a 12 month lease. Stuck here for the next 10 months.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Go to home depot and purchase Ortho home defense in the gallon plastic jug.
Works wonders on ants, and the residual effect last for about 2 too 3 months.
Bob.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Go to home depot and purchase Ortho home defense in the gallon plastic jug.
Works wonders on ants, and the residual effect last for about 2 too 3 months.
Bob.

thanks!!!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazb View Post
Call a pest control company and get them to treat the exterior with termidor(barrier treatment). Termidor is the best pesticide on the market for dealing with ants, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles