Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
So how about the several dozen individuals, all wearing bright orange "John 3:16" shirts, that I saw repeatedly yesterday? They and I were at the same amusement park. I heard no 'case getting on'. Maybe you consider "born again Christian" to be more a case of 'flaunting' than "John 3:16"?

Get real. Any waitress who criticized either an 'atheist' or 'born again' shirt is an idiot who should be fired for incompetent customer service.
you don't know what one person may have said about them or too them. I don't believe it what you saw either. People's personal religion do not need to be worn on thier shirts. We have friends (with class I will add) that are agnostic or atheists, none would consider wearing a shirt announcing their beliefs. Our granddaughter is one to them. Our good friends a few blocks away fit into this group as well (he does anyway)

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You've been Bible Beltized, Nita. You've been away from your roots far too long. Back here in your beloved homeland, that waitress wouldn't care what religious message your shirt espoused, and would never take you to task over it as long as it wasn't one of those nutjob Fred Phelps "God Hates ****" or some radical Muslim "Death to the Infidel" inflammatory message.

Face it... with certain exceptions, the Bible Belt is the home of in yer face Christian conformity, and there is scant tolerance for deviation from that path. If I wasn't an atheist, I'd be thanking some diety or another for my parents raising me up where they did, as opposed to where they could have.
The part about the waitress could be right, and yet, I can remember being lectured by some pretty over the top bible Thumpers in Ca for smoking and drinking. In fact for a lot of the things I do or did. So, it does exist. I don't think most wait staff in Austin would have made a comment about his shirt either, even if they thought it was in poor taste. Let me add though, Austin is very different from most of Texas and the south. What happened to the responder is not the norm. You can find all types of people everywhere and to make a comment about an entire area based on one situation is judgemental.

Now, I think I will drop the subject. It could have been a fun debate, too bad it has turned nasty.
Nita

Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Now, I think I will drop the subject. It could have been a fun debate, too bad it has turned nasty.
Nita
It IS too bad it turned nasty. There's "giving an opinion" and being a offensive mean-spirited person. Leveling insults, accusations, and judgements at me when I did NOTHING to you makes you the latter.

The reason I responded to the OP with my experience is because I was ALSO faced with a decision over whether to stay in LA and not be able to afford to buy a house or move somewhere (in the south) that I was unsure of, but be able to afford a house.

See the similarities there? I think my post was VERY apropos. But you had to go and turn it into a nasty debate about Texas and my character!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Was it Richard Dawkins or Dick Van Patten who said "By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."?

First Richard Dawson and now Dick Van Patten...boy your cultural references are deep and wide.

If you call the use of the scientific method "letting your brains drop out" then perhaps you might consider a visit to Iran or Saudi Arabia. They never let reason get in the way of religious dogma either.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What happened to the responder is not the norm. You can find all types of people everywhere and to make a comment about an entire area based on one situation is judgemental.
Nita
OK, I just realized. You're obviously not reading my posts. You read one sentence or something and focus on that.

If you're read my post, you would have seen I had several experiences of a religious nature. And based on those experiences, I concluded that Austin was more religious than anywhere I had ever lived. That's not to say that we encountered bible-thumpers on a daily basis (although, they did come to our door every couple of months) or anything like that. But it was definitely more than I had expected. I've lived in SoCal, all around the Boston area, and spent significant time in the Chicago area.

For an agnostic & an athiest, like my husband and myself, we prefer somewhere like LA where the most religious thing that's ever happened to us was someone telling us to have a blessed day. I just don't understand why that bothers you so much.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
New York, much like Austin, seems to have a reputation of people asking about religion, and then stabbing you in the neck.

Cabbie: ‘Are You Muslim?’ Leads To Night Of Horror « CBS New York- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
If you're read my post, you would have seen I had several experiences of a religious nature. And based on those experiences, I concluded that Austin was more religious than anywhere I had ever lived. That's not to say that we encountered bible-thumpers on a daily basis (although, they did come to our door every couple of months) or anything like that. But it was definitely more than I had expected. I've lived in SoCal, all around the Boston area, and spent significant time in the Chicago area.

For an agnostic & an athiest, like my husband and myself, we prefer somewhere like LA where the most religious thing that's ever happened to us was someone telling us to have a blessed day. I just don't understand why that bothers you so much.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Here's Devil's Knob High School Class of 1955. Jeb Jessup and Jethro Jessup. They are presently living in the Cummins Unit in Lincoln County.
Another reason that you are not supposed to have kids with a family member.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I think my post was VERY apropos. But you had to go and turn it into a nasty debate about Texas and my character!
What was wrong with Austin aside from to many Baptists for your taste?

Austin has to have about the most bars & live music per capita in the US. I found it a fun town.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
LOL is this question series?!?! Los Angeles is a million times better than that place.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 PM

35 posts, read 97,235 times
you're kidding, right? Bentonville Arkansas? Home of Wal-Mart? I wouldn't live there if it was FREE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles