Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,465,519 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am probably going to be moving to California in the next few years, I am currently in NYC.

I really have come to hate it here lately, just ready for a change.

I have only been to CA once, and it was a while ago, but from what I can remember, the people are much friendlier than they are here in NY, and everyone just seemed happier. I really loved it there.

Just curious if anyone has made such a move (from east coast to CA) and what changes they noticed once they did..

Would appreciate any info and thanks!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,149,448 times
I moved from California to the East Coast. East Coasters tend to be more reserved, would rather not talk to strangers, and are not afraid to say what is really on their mind. They could also, for the most part, care less about 'what you do'.

Californians will say 'hi' to strangers, make small talk with people they do not know, are more interested in 'what you do', are generally more interested in your personal business overall, and tend to use money as a declaration of social status. They also like to be outdoors more often; going to parks, walking around the neighborhood, BBQing, etc.

Oh, Californians are also heavily in love with their cars. Public transportation is kind of looked down upon....as something that poor people use.

Californians are also flaky. 'I'll call you later' does not mean that they will call you later in the day/evening. It means that they will call you when ever they feel like getting around to it, which could be relatively soon. Or it could be tomorrow, or next week, or....

Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
LA people are less in your face when compared to most of the east coast. I lived in VA for a bit during college and this became quite clear within the first few days of my arrival. the honesty can be refreshing when coming from the west coast, but a bit too over the top at times. however, remember that both cities are full of transplants, so you are bound to meet all kinds of different people from all over the world.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
There is no shortage of ex-pat New Yorkers in So Cal, that you can take to the bank. Although, as annoying as they can be, I'll take ten of them over one yay-hoo fundamentalist from the Babble Belt.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 AM

106 posts, read 379,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Hello everyone,
I am probably going to be moving to California in the next few years, I am currently in NYC.

I really have come to hate it here lately, just ready for a change.

I have only been to CA once, and it was a while ago, but from what I can remember, the people are much friendlier than they are here in NY, and everyone just seemed happier. I really loved it there.

Just curious if anyone has made such a move (from east coast to CA) and what changes they noticed once they did..

Would appreciate any info and thanks!
I FIND IT ACTUALLY FUNNY that you guys think that people here in Los Angeles are "friendly" To me New Yorkers have alot more personality and are much more honest in general. In Los Angeles people have a sort of generic "fake" means of communicating. For instance you go to a restaurant, drive thru, etc. its rare to get rude service here but its a generic no personality "have a good day" "fake smiles" all day long and so on and so on. However when you get down to it when you try to make friends here people tend not to hold appointments. For instance they'll say < Oh I'll call you on Friday, Friday comes. They dont call. I find people here to be extremely flakey. In fact I cant stand L.A. or its people. I only like the weather and the big freeways. I was born in Detroit, raised in Chicago, New York, Baltimore. If it wasnt for my job I'd leave L.A. in a heartbeat.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 AM

293 posts, read 890,397 times
Talking New York is like a brother to me

The one I never called.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 AM

787 posts, read 1,934,957 times
[quote=K-Luv;15623330]I moved from California to the East Coast. East Coasters tend to be more reserved, would rather not talk to strangers, and are not afraid to say what is really on their mind. They could also, for the most part, care less about 'what you do'.

Californians will say 'hi' to strangers, make small talk with people they do not know, are more interested in 'what you do', are generally more interested in your personal business overall, and tend to use money as a declaration of social status. They also like to be outdoors more often; going to parks, walking around the neighborhood, BBQing, etc.

quote]

Yeah...and New Yorkers aren't materialistic at all. Wall Street is all about helping humanity and Madison Avenue is all substance over image.

Very funny....

Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,253,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
I FIND IT ACTUALLY FUNNY that you guys think that people here in Los Angeles are "friendly" To me New Yorkers have alot more personality and are much more honest in general. In Los Angeles people have a sort of generic "fake" means of communicating. For instance you go to a restaurant, drive thru, etc. its rare to get rude service here but its a generic no personality "have a good day" "fake smiles" all day long and so on and so on. However when you get down to it when you try to make friends here people tend not to hold appointments. For instance they'll say < Oh I'll call you on Friday, Friday comes. They dont call. I find people here to be extremely flakey. In fact I cant stand L.A. or its people. I only like the weather and the big freeways. I was born in Detroit, raised in Chicago, New York, Baltimore. If it wasnt for my job I'd leave L.A. in a heartbeat.
They probably don't like you. I don't even like you and this is the 1st time I've ever seen you post.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 PM

425 posts, read 955,159 times
Well I'm in a similar position, but it's not really for a dislike of the people or the city, it's just after 30+ years, I want something different. I am also a comic artist/writer (of the unpublished sort for now...lol) and have also been tinkering with screenplays, so LA is a good fit. They have a good undergroud comic scene and is close enough to both San Diego for the annual mega comic con and San Fran for the annual APE (Alternative Press Expo)

for anyone into comics my type of work is more the Johnny Ryann, Johan Vazquez or Jim Mahfood style work then say the standard Marvel or DC stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles