Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,179 times

Advertisements

I've been living here in Los Angeles for nearly three years now and find it very hard to make a really good friend here. I just transferred from a community college and will start ucla this coming fall. I am currently on summer break and am bored to death since I don't really have any real friends here. I think part of the problem is that I don't know how to carry a good conversation with anyone. A lot of times either the conversation dies away and I find myself trying hard to think of things to say..or..I say things that don't really seem interest people. Sometimes I compare myself to others, and think that physical beauty really helps..iono. What should I do? I think most of this problem stems from my past..I was always a very sheltered kid, growing up, and never really left the house to meet and talk to people. And now it's horrible because I don't know how to carry a great conversation with anyone. Before, I would simply go to school and come home everyday. and now..I am at my breaking point...and mentally emotional. I mean how can a person survive years without a real friend? The saddest part is that when I think I've made a friend, the friendship merely stays in school and never goes beyond that...I never get invited to any parties or anything. I tried really hard in college too..I joined a couple of clubs and tried meeting people..I've tried talking and doing my best to conduct social gatherings and such but it hasn't helped. It seems like people in college only befriend me for academic help..but nothing more. I guess this is because I was always viewed as the "smart kid"...never anything more than that. And now..I am so confused. I want to break away from that image...and I don't know what to do..I don't know where to start...can any of you please give me good advice? Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
I just moved here a month ago. I have a few friends, but I'd love to chill with you sometime.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:23 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
You might find things will improve when you start attending university in the Fall, as opposed to your experiences in grades 13 and 14.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin450 View Post
I've been living here in Los Angeles for nearly three years now and find it very hard to make a really good friend here. I just transferred from a community college and will start ucla this coming fall. I am currently on summer break and am bored to death since I don't really have any real friends here. I think part of the problem is that I don't know how to carry a good conversation with anyone. A lot of times either the conversation dies away and I find myself trying hard to think of things to say..or..I say things that don't really seem interest people. Sometimes I compare myself to others, and think that physical beauty really helps..iono. What should I do? I think most of this problem stems from my past..I was always a very sheltered kid, growing up, and never really left the house to meet and talk to people. And now it's horrible because I don't know how to carry a great conversation with anyone. Before, I would simply go to school and come home everyday. and now..I am at my breaking point...and mentally emotional. I mean how can a person survive years without a real friend? The saddest part is that when I think I've made a friend, the friendship merely stays in school and never goes beyond that...I never get invited to any parties or anything. I tried really hard in college too..I joined a couple of clubs and tried meeting people..I've tried talking and doing my best to conduct social gatherings and such but it hasn't helped. It seems like people in college only befriend me for academic help..but nothing more. I guess this is because I was always viewed as the "smart kid"...never anything more than that. And now..I am so confused. I want to break away from that image...and I don't know what to do..I don't know where to start...can any of you please give me good advice? Thank you!!!
I'll give you a tip, howyoudoin450. When you meet somebody, do not ask, "How you doin'?" It's 2010 and hardly anybody watches Friends or that Joey show anymore.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Join a frat.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:23 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Quote:
This is how to do conversation, physical beauty means nothing.

YouTube - The Bobshank Redemption Part Two

Old 08-30-2010, 07:00 AM

31 posts, read 70,227 times
sorry but live in China...

Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
I never get invited to any parties or anything
I don't know how to carry a great conversation with anyone
I say things that don't really seem interest people
I find it very hard to make a really good friend here.
I'm bored to death
I don't really have any real friends
I don't know how to carry a good conversation with anyone.
the conversation dies away
I find myself trying hard to think of things to say.
I say things that don't really seem interest people.
I don't know how to carry a great conversation with anyone.
I never get invited to any parties or anything.
I predict you will make an excellent engineer.

Engineers think people they are speaking with yawn because they are tired.

What do engineers use for birth control?
Spoiler
Their personalities.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v377/212/114/673907410/n673907410_1490199_1850.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM

731 posts, read 1,367,152 times
Maybe the OP should take up tennis or learn Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanxia View Post
sorry but live in China...

Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You might find things will improve when you start attending university in the Fall, as opposed to your experiences in grades 13 and 14.
Snap!

I find appearances do help, in initializing contact. Sorry if that seems shallow but pretty people just fair better. I have no idea what you look like but from what you typed (OP), I'd probably walk the other way too. People can sense desperation, total turn off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles