Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 AM

19 posts, read 30,262 times

Advertisements

I seem to have misread your post. Why on earth someone would want to move from Chicago to Los Angeles is mistifying to me. (I am an LA native.) I spent 4 years at Purdue in graduate school, and loved every minute I spent in Chicago, and even in the smaller places in Indiana. Friendlier people, fewer crowds, beautiful places.

If my mother had not become fatally ill, I would not have moved back to L.A. Why in God's name would you want to move here? The only thing we have is weather, and if you tell me that's important, then I can suggest some places for you. But if you want night life (as I recall you mentined in your post), L.A. is going to be a very sad disappointment for you.

I still do wish you luck. San Pedro, I am afraid, might be the best option for you given the budget you mention, and the fact that you need to find work. Please do investigate you neighborhood before you move. People out here are truly not like the people in the Midwest, for better and for worse.

Good luck,

heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 AM

79 posts, read 210,584 times
Job is the key factor in purchasing or renting lodging. and I also would suggest to you that you buy it near freeways, freeways its like subway branches in Chicago.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,209,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpunkinway View Post
I seem to have misread your post. Why on earth someone would want to move from Chicago to Los Angeles is mistifying to me. (I am an LA native.) I spent 4 years at Purdue in graduate school, and loved every minute I spent in Chicago, and even in the smaller places in Indiana. Friendlier people, fewer crowds, beautiful places.
My husband moved from Chicago to LA. He hated Chicago & loves LA. The weather was a big factor. And politics. He grew up just outside of Chicago and has to listen to various people in his family discuss FoxNews like it's a real news station. I know Chicago is considered liberal, but most of the people he knows who lived there (and grew up with) are republican. He finds LA people to be friendlier. LA is healthier than Chicago. He loves the palm trees. He's terrified of sharks, and I'm not sure if this is because he's from the midwest or saw Jaws too young or what, heh. He even prefers driving in LA. He likes the lack of one-way streets. Oh, and then there's the midwest/Chicago accent. Now he visits and thinks it's cute, but living there... not so much (which I totally get since I'm from Boston - land of the worst accent on earth followed only by the Chicago south-side accent!)

Different stroke for different folks, I guess.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 AM

Dear, I am so glad. Thanks for the lovely post. Do enjoy L.A. (it is my hometown!) By the way, you may probably know that the palm trees are not indegenous, but the evergreens are. So glad to have people like you here!!! Hurray!!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:30 AM

And, btw, I was not fond of the politics while living in the midwest, but I just did as the Romans and shut up while I was there. I could tell you stories...anyway, welcome to L.A.! And you are indeed welcome.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,209,688 times
Thanks, I'm very excited to be moving back to LA!

One thing I will say about Chicago... and this is both a good AND bad thing: the food is pretty amazing. I usually gain about a pound a day when I'm there, heh.

You can find good food in LA, obviously, but it can be hit-or-miss.

My husband (and I) ALSO shut up about politics when we're there. We're not going to change their minds and they're not going to change ours. But we love them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpunkinway View Post
And, btw, I was not fond of the politics while living in the midwest, but I just did as the Romans and shut up while I was there. I could tell you stories...anyway, welcome to L.A.! And you are indeed welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles