Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indian guys and interracial relationships, which ones have you seen or heard of?
Indian guy - White girl 18 47.37%
Indian guy - Black girl 11 28.95%
Indian guy - Latina 11 28.95%
Indian guy - East Asian girl 14 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:31 PM

803 posts, read 1,264,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
jgamibi

I have lived in both NYC and LA/OC. The main difference between the 2 areas is that LA/OC is highly divided along class lines and class lines just happen to fall very clearly within racial lines as well. Whereas NYC things are divided along class lines but races are not so clearly divided, much better balance in NYC.

In the NYC metro it is much more common to see Indians mixed with Latin and Blacks. Actually I think it much more common to see any combination of interracial couple in NYC, every combination is represented there.

IN LA/OC it is usually the same socially accepted combination's (Asian/White and Hispanic/White). But don't let that stop you bro, I know many Latinas that are very happy dating outside the norm. I think the one thing that could make or break it with a Latina is religion and family values.

Also 1 other recommendation would be try San Francisco, things are still very Asian/White...but races tend to intermingle better than LA/OC IMO, your miles may vary.
THAT IS IT, that is what I was getting at all along, the socially accepted part. I wanted to get with a Latina back when I asked this question but I thought it wouldn't be socially accepted there or something, even if I am to go there with my now girlfriend. Who looks a lot like a White brunette but is actually Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Haha, no worries man. I just remembered how that guy posted like a dozen times per day... I think the general consensus was "no doubt there are some latin girls who would date an Indian guy, why don't you go talk to some instead of reposting this question a billion times?"
Yea, I was going to make another yahoo answers account and ask on there but I said "oh heck", I mean you can't really chat and reply to messages on that site like you can on this site.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:00 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Quote:
jgamibi

I have lived in both NYC and LA/OC. The main difference between the 2 areas is that LA/OC is highly divided along class lines and class lines just happen to fall very clearly within racial lines as well. Whereas NYC things are divided along class lines but races are not so clearly divided, much better balance in NYC.

In the NYC metro it is much more common to see Indians mixed with Latin and Blacks. Actually I think it much more common to see any combination of interracial couple in NYC, every combination is represented there.

IN LA/OC it is usually the same socially accepted combination's (Asian/White and Hispanic/White). But don't let that stop you bro, I know many Latinas that are very happy dating outside the norm. I think the one thing that could make or break it with a Latina is religion and family values.

Also 1 other recommendation would be try San Francisco, things are still very Asian/White...but races tend to intermingle better than LA/OC IMO, your miles may vary.
Of-course every one has their own perceptions, but I think your observations can not be backed up with evidence. I had the opportunity to visit NYC several weeks ago. Admittedly, it was to attend a wedding and was only 4 days but I squeezed in as much as possible each day. My observations are different than yours but I also stayed in the Bronx and the wedding was in Brooklyn so I guess those areas are not necessarily representative of all of New York. The Bronx was brown and black and not a whole lot of inter-marriage except that there are black Latinos from some Caribbean nations. Manhattan was almost exclusively white but one would see interracial couples in places like Central Pk or Washington Sq. Maybe because it was a long weekend with lots of tourist, but NYC seemed less integrated than LA to me.

I live in the San Gabriel valley where the popultion is pretty much evenly divided among anglos, latinos and asians with lots of inter-marriage among all 3 racial\ ethnic groups. Los Angeles just has so many more "minorities" than any other city that I have visited that it is inevitable that inter-racial\ inter-ethnic couples exist.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Actually, NYC has more non-Whites, I mean even most of the Whites there are European Whites, not the Anglo American Whites.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,069 times
I heard black girls love Punjabs.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Actually, NYC has more non-Whites, I mean even most of the Whites there are European Whites, not the Anglo American Whites.
Here's the data I found on Wikipedia:

New York City:
White [non-Hispanic]: 35%
Black: 28%
Hispanic [any race]: 27%
Asian: 10%
New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles:
White [non-Hispanic]: 29%
Black: 9.9%
Hispanic [any race]: 48.4%
Asian: 10.4%
Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I heard black girls love Punjabs.
lets see so far I have not seen Black girl - Indian guy

seen White girl - Indian guy and East Asian girl - Indian guy

and except for my girlfriend and I, I haven't seen Latina - Indian guy

Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Of-course every one has their own perceptions, but I think your observations can not be backed up with evidence. I had the opportunity to visit NYC several weeks ago. Admittedly, it was to attend a wedding and was only 4 days but I squeezed in as much as possible each day. My observations are different than yours but I also stayed in the Bronx and the wedding was in Brooklyn so I guess those areas are not necessarily representative of all of New York. The Bronx was brown and black and not a whole lot of inter-marriage except that there are black Latinos from some Caribbean nations. Manhattan was almost exclusively white but one would see interracial couples in places like Central Pk or Washington Sq. Maybe because it was a long weekend with lots of tourist, but NYC seemed less integrated than LA to me.

I live in the San Gabriel valley where the popultion is pretty much evenly divided among anglos, latinos and asians with lots of inter-marriage among all 3 racial\ ethnic groups. Los Angeles just has so many more "minorities" than any other city that I have visited that it is inevitable that inter-racial\ inter-ethnic couples exist.
I concur. You do have some areas that are mostly one race or another - for instance, most of East LA is Latin-American... Chinatown is mostly Chinese (duh)... but then, South Central, while largely black, also has a fair number of latinos. Koreatown is maybe 40% Korean, 40% latin, 20% white and other Asians. Venice and Santa Monica are totally mixed; in Koreatown, Culver, Venice, etc. you've got everyone from Section 8 on up to six or seven figures living in close proximity to one another - sometimes on the same block... consequently, you'd see a sophisticated, professional-looking black guy walking hand in hand with a hippie Asian girl with tattoos. You'd see an Asian guy with Sailor Jerry tattoos outside having a smoke with chicana. You saw two white dudes, an Indian dude, and a Latin guy out having a "dude night" and pub crawling. There was plenty of mingling of all sorts, between all types of people!

When I moved there from Boston, I quickly took up with a group of Mexican-American punks, played in bands with them for awhile, and got to go to all sorts of awesome Chicano parties... had a bunch of friends who were Asian-American (mostly Chinese) and got to tour the various billiards, karakoe, and tofu houses about town... went to art school with a bunch of artsy-fartsy sorts... became quite well-acquainted with all the BDSM/goth clubs in Hollywood, or run out of peoples' houses in the hills... took up with a millionaire heiress who wanted to marry me and loooooved parading her diamond-in-the-rough boyfriend to all her LA socialite pals... it was a trip, and I owed it all to just being myself and not trying to be any of the above groups.

As I said earlier, as long as you stay "legit" and "mellow" by LA's definitions and don't have a chip on your shoulder (i.e., "this place isn't as cool as NY/SF/London/Ontario/Tupelo", "ZOMG I'm like SOOOO much COOLER and HOTTER then U lolol," etc) then you can have an amazing time while living there.

Can't wait to move back!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 PM

749 posts, read 1,861,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
1. The data posted by CalifornioSur shows that LA has FEWER non-hispanic whites than NYC.

2. There are a lot of Europeans in LA too. You should try to back up claims like with a source.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 PM

749 posts, read 1,861,938 times
Quote:

IN LA/OC it is usually the same socially accepted combination's (Asian/White and Hispanic/White).

What evidence do you have to support these assertions?

The only study I KNOW of on interracial marriage (by the Pew Center in 2009) showed there was MORE interracial marriage in the West compared to the Northesast. I do NOT think they did a city to city comparison....yet I think you are making some statements that are not true.

Marrying Out - Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles