Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles steals football teams to play in their new stadium where smog will fill the air and all spectators will have to leave the game early due to not being able to breathe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Part of the charm of Los Angeles is that we won't try to sell you on it.

Most LA people (I grew up here) will tell you in a minute how much we LOVE San Diego and San Francisco, our southern and northern big city neighbors. Many people in San Diego and San Francisco will tell you that LA is hell on earth or at least they will tell you what they don't like about LA before saying anything nice about it.

Take a look at Foreign Policy magazine's latest GLOBAL CITIES index. Los Angeles is ranked No. 7....one of only 3 U.S. cities to make the Top 10 (NYC and Chicago were the other two).

San Francisco was No. 12....San Diego did NOT even register on the list and there were 65 world cities on the list. See link below.

Yes, I know all lists are subjective...but the rankings were based on a variety of factors including: economic diversity, cultural institutions, higher education, culinary diversity, population diversity, and overall global influence.

Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

San Diego is a pleasant big "small" town as compared to LA. If your number one priority is a beach lifestyle....then I'd suggest San Diego. However, if you require a certain degree of diversity and like to cultivate your creative and cultural spirits I suggest you try Los Angeles.

There used to be a saying about Long Beach being "Iowa by the Sea" because it was settled by people from Iowa and kind of boring. Well, you could say the same thing about San Diego...esp in comparison to Los Angeles.

Best of luck to you.

crap! San Diego has culture.

La Jolla, San Diego is "the jewel"

Don't listen to this "know it all" Both cities have many things to offer; however, if you're looking for the 2nd largest city filled with entertainment and movies(and smog) then L.A. is for you! If you are looking for a relaxing, laid back, clean, safe, fun, city, than San Diego is for you.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
Why don't you do what you want to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cert View Post
I'm going to be honest. You guys are doing a terrible job of selling LA! I'm having a hard time finding anyone who will tell me to move to LA over San Diego.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
[quote=SoCal35;15812727There used to be a saying about Long Beach being "Iowa by the Sea" because it was settled by people from Iowa and kind of boring. Well, you could say the same thing about San Diego...esp in comparison to Los Angeles.
[/quote]

That was then, certainly Long Beach is not now anywhere like Iowa today - it's actually one of the most ethnically diverse cities in California, if not nationally.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:13 PM

215 posts, read 1,534,223 times
LA has everything San Diego has to offer and MUCH MUCH MORE! LA better future job opportunities.
SD starts to feel small after awhile.................

Chose LA visit San Diego once or twice a month.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
LA has everything and MUCH MUCH MORE!
Yup including pollution, trash, earthquakes, homeless, and smog

Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
Do folks move to an area because it is diverse? Pacific Beach has beaches, beer, and bikinis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That was then, certainly Long Beach is not now anywhere like Iowa today - it's actually one of the most ethnically diverse cities in California, if not nationally.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 PM

I hate to do this, but right now I have a grudge against L.A.

Los Angeles Is Ranked 2nd Most Stressful City In The Nation...Again - Los Angeles News - The Informer

Sun, surf and smog - latimes.com

Automotive Fleet

OUCH

Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 AM

5 posts, read 7,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Is it reasonable to commute from Long Beach to downtown? Is it as Google maps says it is: 30 mins without traffic, 1 hour with traffic?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:20 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cert View Post
Is it reasonable to commute from Long Beach to downtown? Is it as Google maps says it is: 30 mins without traffic, 1 hour with traffic?
There is a LIGHT RAIL line that runs from Downtown LA to Downtown Long Beach. I BELIEVE that is a 50 minute train ride (stops plus trains must share surface streets with cars). Lots of downtown LA workers use that train.

I would agree that without traffic drive is a breeze....I am less certain of peak hour commute by car. I woud guess it would be 45 minutes to an hour on average (and longer on really bad days).

Anyone who makes that commute have any experience to share?

Last edited by SoCal35; 09-09-2010 at 02:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles