Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 AM

749 posts, read 1,863,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post

Just throwing this in to save time since I have a client on the way...someone on here asked me about what concessions I was talking about.

I can give one in particular that happened in Mesa, AZ in 1998 when I was living there and my son attending 2nd grade. All American parents whose children rode the bus to school were told that they would have to find another way to get their children to school. There simply wasn't enough room on the buses to accomodate all the children and they wanted to make sure that the children of illegal immigrants were able to take the bus. There were a lot of very angry, tax paying parents, especially since most of us worked so would drop our children at the bus stop on the way to our jobs. Now we were forced to rearrange our work scheduals or make our children cross a very busy and dangerous street by themselves in order to get to school. Within a week of our children being forced off the buses a local American girl, 9 years old, was struck and killed trying to get across that street on the way to school.
Cyanna: Yes, that would be me who asked about the concessions. I must say that you generally appear to be a rational and reasonable person. Yet, in other moments (like this one), you've got me scratching my head.

This is all you got? An incident from 12 years ago in Mesa, AZ? I can't confirm or deny it since I've never lived in AZ.....yet something tells me there is more to this story. Still, this is 12 years later and we are in a different state....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
you want to talk immigration. go to that forum.
Quote:
America cannot sustain every single person throughout this big world who wishes to come here. Its a simple matter of economics and protecting our own people. Hence, we have immigration procedures. We do have the right to set forth laws which are intended to keep out those who have criminal backgrounds, mental instabilities, contagious diseases or an inability to become gainfully employed. In your world we would leave the borders wide open and watch everything go to Hell.

We didn't steal anything from Mexico. We fought a war, signed a treaty and paid millions for the land. The Aztecs also fought battles and won land from the original native inhabitants of areas in Mexico. And so the world goes throughout history.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:31 PM

cant help but sense some irrational resentment of mexicans.

not healthy at all. its not good to generalize.

there are plenty of mexicans that also display the US flag. and also many italians, irish, haitians, jamaicans, belizeans that display there countries flag. not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALove24 View Post
I live on a 60% hispanic street in Inglewood. Yeah crap happens in this city, but this block is gorgeous. People drive pretty nice cars and everyone keeps their lawns looking great. Sure, there are a few bad neighbors, but that's everywhere. I'm just pissed because people think hispanic/latino is a race. Most "hispanics" are your traditional indigenous amerindian/ white european spaniard mix also known as a mestizo. Spanish is a white language, but here in So Cal everyone forgets that. There are great people in latin america, just because most of the people from that one corrupt one down south compromise the majority of hispanics, they get a bad name. Many hispanic families here proudly display USA flags on their porches and we all get pissed when we see mexican flags.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:35 PM

ooooh, you better stay out of koreatown. japantown. filipino town (e.hollywood and eagle rock). little armenia (in hollywood and glendale). little ethiopia (fairfax). there are tons of places in LA where another language is predominant. just stay home on your computer better.

Quote:
Plunker is a British term for a dumb arse, LOL! But at least I said it with the British meaning in mind, and not that of the Aussies. Plunker in Australia is a condom, LOL! Seriously, calling someone a plunker in the UK is generally done in fun

I've said this before but don't mind repeating it... the Hispanics have brought many wonderful things to our society, making for a richer experience in life. I have a 1/2 Mexican nephew-in-law and my other niece is marrying someone whose parents immigrated here from Mexico. Both are wonderful young men who are loved and respected additions to our family. My two most dearest male friends are from El Salvador. The three of us have helped to keep each other sane in this insane company we work for. I just hate feeling like a stranger in my own city and it isn't because most of the people here are Hispanic, its because we can't communicate because of different languages.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:39 PM

right!?!?! its not based in facts. it sounds like a faulty conclusion.
yes. the white "american" kids couldnt ride the bus in order to make room for illegal kids.

allah, this just gets sillier and sillier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Cyanna: Yes, that would be me who asked about the concessions. I must say that you generally appear to be a rational and reasonable person. Yet, in other moments (like this one), you've got me scratching my head.

This is all you got? An incident from 12 years ago in Mesa, AZ? I can't confirm or deny it since I've never lived in AZ.....yet something tells me there is more to this story. Still, this is 12 years later and we are in a different state....

Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
right!?!?! its not based in facts. it sounds like a faulty conclusion.
yes. the white "american" kids couldnt ride the bus in order to make room for illegal kids.

allah, this just gets sillier and sillier.
Actually it is based on fact. I lived it, my son lived it and so did every one of his friends who rode that bus! Where did I specifically say that it was only white American kids? Nowhere. I said AMERICAN KIDS, plain and simple. My son's best friend was half white/half Dominican Republic, his other best friend was Guatemalan. You assumed, and wrongly. Were you THERE? Did YOU get the last minute letter sent home only TWO DAYS before they planned to implement this plan? No, you were not. This is a factual incident which caused a lot of anger and upset among parents who also wanted THEIR children to be able to get to school safely on the bus. It involved students attending Hawthorn Elem.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Actually it is based on fact. I lived it, my son lived it and so did every one of his friends who rode that bus! Where did I specifically say that it was only white American kids? Nowhere. I said AMERICAN KIDS, plain and simple. My son's best friend was half white/half Dominican Republic, his other best friend was Guatemalan. You assumed, and wrongly. Were you THERE? Did YOU get the last minute letter sent home only TWO DAYS before they planned to implement this plan? No, you were not. This is a factual incident which caused a lot of anger and upset among parents who also wanted THEIR children to be able to get to school safely on the bus. It involved students attending Hawthorn Elem.
How about a link describing the incident or policy? A simple google search turns up nothing.

Nevertheless, that was 12 years ago in another state. Seems like water under the bridge at this point. Yet you still hold a grudge.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
How about a link describing the incident or policy? A simple google search turns up nothing.

Nevertheless, that was 12 years ago in another state. Seems like water under the bridge at this point. Yet you still hold a grudge.
I've been trying to find something in the archives for the Tribune but they don't seem to go back that far online.

It doesn't matter WHEN it was. You asked for an example and I gave you one.

Concessions are made every day, from demanding that teachers now teach classes bi-lingually to forms which must be printed in 10 different languages. These types of concessions cost the tax payers and they negatively affect students when they are getting substandard educations.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
you want to talk immigration. go to that forum.
Who made you moderator?

Just in case you missed it, I was actually RESPONDING to another poster. Here's a little tidbit that you might find hard to comprehend...as human beings we sometimes find it difficult to stay within the EXACT frame of a topic, and at times comments made in a topic lead to other topics associated with the original topic. Got that?

We are talking about the stereotyping of Hispanic neighborhoods, and like it or not illegal immigrants of Hispanic heritage are also going to fall within the realms of the topic because they also have an impact on a neighborhood and how it is perceived or viewed by others. They oftentimes bring certain habits and behaviors with them which, although perfectly okay where they come from are not acceptable by American standards. They are used to having chickens and roosters in the backyard. Here, this isn't allowed. Where my husband works they have special classes for new employees who are recent legal immigrants. In these classes they are taught, among other things 1) that they MUST speak only English while at work and 2) health and sanitation rules, such as putting used toilet paper in the toilet instead of putting it on the floor or in the trash can. They are also taught to flush the toilets and how to wash their hands properly after using the toilet. Another rule they must be taught is to SIT on the toilet and not to stand or squat on it.

So, yes, illegal Hispanic immigrants in our neighborhoods is within the realms of this conversation.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:

1) I've been trying to find something in the archives for the Tribune but they don't seem to go back that far online.

2) It doesn't matter WHEN it was. You asked for an example and I gave you one.

3) Concessions are made every day, from demanding that teachers now teach classes bi-lingually to forms which must be printed in 10 different languages. These types of concessions cost the tax payers and they negatively affect students when they are getting substandard educations.

1) That is such a crazy story, I think the burden is on you to prove it. We wait for a link.

2) It DOES matter if the policy has been discontinued. There is no way a policy like that would continue for very long. So assuming it's been corrected, you should be able to let it go.

Also, assuming the story is TRUE (I have my doubts), I am guessing the policy was based on neighborhood, not immigration status. So they continued bus service for low-income areas which would have the natural consequence of serving more illegals than not.

Again, you are back home in California....I've never heard of such a policy here.

3) Again, bi-lingual instruction is NOTHING new and it's NOT a concession. It's simple common sense.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles