Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times

Advertisements

What do you mean what is south east Los Angeles?

Thats where Downey and Whittier are located. Do a search on it.

Downey

Whittier

Gateway Cities

I never said SGV was poor or ghetto

Said what I had to say. Not going to waste posts debating if cities are techinically located south, southeast or east of L.A.

Last edited by behindthescreen; 10-02-2011 at 01:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:33 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
What do you mean what is south east Los Angeles?

Thats where Downey and Whittier are located. Do a search on it.

Downey

Whittier

Gateway Cities

I never said SGV was poor or ghetto

Said what I had to say. Not going to waste posts debating if cities are techinically located south, southeast or east of L.A.
I mean that as in I've never heard people refer to southeast Los Angeles as an actual location. As in I don't think it's a commonly designated description.

Also, the original post mentioned SGV (he said, "But when people say Downey, Montebello, Whittier, the San Gabriel Valley are ghetto"), so that's why I mention it--and I mentioned that because I thought maybe you didn't completely read what the original post wrote (i.e. specifically parts of the city that had hispanic neighborhoods that were not necessarily ghetto yet people assume they are on account of them having large hispanic populations).

Old 10-03-2011, 12:32 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
I certainly haven't read all 24 pages here, but I live in the SGV. Many parts are certainly not ghetto... San Marino, La Canada, most of Arcadia, Sierra Madre, large chunks of Pasadena, etc.

However, in this area, neighborhoods that are predominantly Hispanic are dumps and ghetto. That's not stereotyping, that's an observation on actual conditions. I live in a neighborhood that is quite diverse (yes, we have Hispanics), and it is neat as a pin. The next neighborhood over is primarily Hispanic, and it is a dump. Unkempt houses, trash bits everywhere, cars parked in yards, ten cars to a house, shopping carts, dumped items, the occasional chihuahua and chicken, etc.

Again, not a stereotype for this neighborhood.. just a simple fact.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM

525 posts, read 899,743 times
Los angeles is a toilet bowl from the west side to the Valley to the south shore to riverside, White Black Hispanic or otherwise. Rat race in a rat world

Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Los angeles is a toilet bowl from the west side to the Valley to the south shore to riverside, White Black Hispanic or otherwise. Rat race in a rat world
Brilliant observation. You don't know much about Los Angeles and I am pretty sure you've never even been here. The "south shore" is in New Jersey perhaps but not anywhere near Los Angeles. Riverside is an hour east of Los Angeles.

And yes, Beverly Hills is a toilet bowl, Bel-Air is a dump, and Brentwood is such a trash can that it is littered with "filthy" rich celeberties who can live anywhere in the world but choose to live in that part of LA.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:29 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
I certainly haven't read all 24 pages here, but I live in the SGV. Many parts are certainly not ghetto... San Marino, La Canada, most of Arcadia, Sierra Madre, large chunks of Pasadena, etc.

However, in this area, neighborhoods that are predominantly Hispanic are dumps and ghetto. That's not stereotyping, that's an observation on actual conditions. I live in a neighborhood that is quite diverse (yes, we have Hispanics), and it is neat as a pin. The next neighborhood over is primarily Hispanic, and it is a dump. Unkempt houses, trash bits everywhere, cars parked in yards, ten cars to a house, shopping carts, dumped items, the occasional chihuahua and chicken, etc.

Again, not a stereotype for this neighborhood.. just a simple fact.

There are plenty of well kept, "clean" middle class Latino neighborhoods in the San Gabriel Valley.

That's not sterotyping...that is just a fact.

For example, Whittier, Montebello, or Chino Hills.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,950 times
Los Angeles is very diverse and I think everybody is treated fairly there.

Last edited by mt971x; 10-03-2011 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 AM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
There are plenty of well kept, "clean" middle class Latino neighborhoods in the San Gabriel Valley.

That's not sterotyping...that is just a fact.

For example, Whittier, Montebello, or Chino Hills.
On the street view from Google maps, they do look much more well kept than what I see around here. I may just have to take a drive down there.

Also, I'll have to call the guy who was my best man in my wedding (long time buddy of Mexican descent) and let him know. Every time he's visited, he's remarked how nasty the Hispanic neighborhoods are...

Old 11-03-2011, 12:28 AM

329 posts, read 628,054 times
Stereotypes exists for a reason. I know it's unfair but it is what it is. I'm 31 yr old Asian living in downey at the moment. I lived all over LA such as Beverly hills (early 90s fresh from countryside in Asia-rent wasn't bad back in those days and very thankful I graduated from BHHS). Then moved out to k-town, Crenshaw+23rd, Lakewood, Elysian park, finally Downey. I've dealt with many Hispanics. While most of them are nice people a good number of them fit the stereotype very well. At the moment Downey isn't ghetto at least not yet anyway. See most Americans like myself want to live in America not 3rd world country. People don't admit it but I openly admit when I look at demographic of a neighborhood I can see where it's been and where it is headed. As soon demographic shifts to more than 80% Hispanic then there is no turning back. I love diversity but 90% Hispanic isn't diverse. And from my not so great experiences in high Hispanic neighborhoods I have concluded this to be true. You can call me racist but I'm not. I get along with my black, asian, hispanic neighbors. In fact very close buddy of mine is a dude from Baghdad.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM

45 posts, read 76,993 times
I was born in South America, can I also put AMERICAN? I only say this because it's related to the original post: I kind of hate that in the USA the term Americans (resp. America) is used only to denote people of the USA (resp. the USA).

You know, there is a whole continent out there called America..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
You have a point, and who is responsible for the continued categorizing of people? Just about every government body and organization which requires us to fill in some form or another, whether it be the census, job applications, medical papers, etc... They all ask the one thing which really should NOT be included..."What is your ethnicity." Why does this matter? I'll tell you what it does. It creates paranoia and resentment. White people who tick "white" automatically think they will not get the job because they didn't tick "Hispanic." Black people think they won't get the job because they didn't tick the "white" box. And so it goes. I am waiting for a fine t obe charged against me by the census bureau because for ethnicity I wrote in AMERICAN. I use this on any and all forms because I refuse to be categorized.

That said, would our society seem more cohesive if EVERYONE just refered to themselves as AMERICAN instead of as African-American, Asian-American or Latino-American? Those terms alone smack of divisiveness and segregation.

Yes, my family is predominantly white, but I also have black cousins, a 1/2 Mexican nephew-in-law and a future nephew-in-law who is fully Mexican. My family welcomes anyone into the fold as long as they are decent and respectable. My half-Mexican nephew-in-law and I are pretty "tight" and at family gatherings my husband and I can usually be found hanging out with him and my niece, but I absolutely LOATHE and DESPISE my white son-in-law. He is a white trash scumbag and my daughter is quite happy to follow in his lazy, trashy ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles