Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 AM

427 posts, read 1,095,452 times

Advertisements

Next month I get my vacation days at work. I've been talking about visiting LA for a long time, and I want to do it. Airfare is the easiest part, they have a non-stop, round trip fare from Tampa, FL to LAX for about $350. At the least, it would be fun just to go the airport and get on a plane. I know, I don't get out much. Obviously, it would be a waste to fly to LA, not even leave the airport and head right back. But, building off of that, how could I make this a real inexpensive 2 day trip? I don't need to see much, I just want to breath some LA air and soak up the vibe. I need a motel in an urban part of town, with some walkable places to get food. Should I stay in Hollywood, or near downtown like Mid-Wilshire? I really only need two rides, to and from the motel. Should I learn the bus system or just take a taxi? My cousin from San Diego might even meet me at the airport and take me around a little. Then he could drop me off at my motel before he heads back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 09:05 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,791,377 times
I'd go with Hollywood. It's an easy ride to and from the airport; I wouldn't pay for a cab, just do the Flyaway bus from the airport to Union Station, then transfer to the Red Line. It's really cheap, very easy, and relatively fast. Just choose a place within walking distance of either the Highland or the Vine station. There are TONS of hotels around there, some with great prices, so you shouldn't have a problem. It's a good central spot to get a good LA experience; you can see the hills, maybe hop a bus to Santa Monica, and just wander up and down Hollywood Blvd and check out the sights. And downtown by Union Station is worth seeing, too; since you'll be traveling light leave some time to walk across the street to check out Olvera Street. It's kind of touristy, but still fun (and very historic). And Union Station itself is beautiful.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I'd go with Hollywood. It's an easy ride to and from the airport; I wouldn't pay for a cab, just do the Flyaway bus from the airport to Union Station, then transfer to the Red Line. It's really cheap, very easy, and relatively fast. Just choose a place within walking distance of either the Highland or the Vine station. There are TONS of hotels around there, some with great prices, so you shouldn't have a problem. It's a good central spot to get a good LA experience; you can see the hills, maybe hop a bus to Santa Monica, and just wander up and down Hollywood Blvd and check out the sights. And downtown by Union Station is worth seeing, too; since you'll be traveling light leave some time to walk across the street to check out Olvera Street. It's kind of touristy, but still fun (and very historic). And Union Station itself is beautiful.
Thanks alot. Good news, I think my brother is up for a trip to LA too. I'll probably have to front him on the airfare. But then we could split everything and I wouldn't be alone. But thanks for that info though, old motel in Hollywood it is, with color TV by RCA!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:19 AM

485 posts, read 1,706,556 times
How about the Motel 6 in Hollywood? We travel around all the time and Motel 6 is our cheap lodging of choice:
Motel 6 Los Angeles - Hollywood Hotel - Hollywood, CA - Motels & Hotels

And you KNOW I'm gonna make a comment about "breathing in the L.A. air." Ewwww! Seriously, I hope you have a fun trip. There's nothing like seeing/experiencing Hollywood for the first time. And I LOVE those old motels boasting "color TV by RCA!" We saw a bunch of them while traveling on Hwy. 40 (the old Route 66).

Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,791,377 times
My relatives have stayed in the Hollywood Motel 6. It's a very convenient location (right on Whitley, which is within walking distance of either Hollywood/Vine or Hollywood/Highland Red Line stations), and the price was right!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM

I think I'm going to postpone this trip till mid March when I get a spring break at school. The airfare is way cheaper as opposed to late December. That Motel 6 in Hollywood looks perfect, and only $65. The airfare I'll probably purchase within the next week. How much reserve notice would I need for a room there? I guess the earlier the better right?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:56 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,655,218 times
Man I wish I was you!! Do you do research? My goodness I would MAX OUT 2 days in LA if I was you!! All you have to do is Hotwire hotwire hotwire!! If you go to Hotwire, you can buy a cheap ticket to LA from FL with a reduced price, order a cheap hotel, transportation to and from the hotel and airport all in one total deal. First what I would do is book a room at the Cecil Hotel in downtown LA. A relatively nice inexpensive hotel. For LA standards. In a prime location like downtown, I can take the bus to all the destinations I need in LA proper. For a 2 day stay, I would only be hanging out in and around Santa Monica. THE #1 tourist spot. Beaches, women, food, etc. It's great for a quick stay. And then go back home. Maybe try the local dining or clubs around downtown at night. But you gotta max out your resources and plan carefully. Good luck!

Hotwire

Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 AM

Hotwire, I will check that out tonight. Maybe they're better than Orbitz. We will be renting a car too, too many different areas I want to see. What do you all think of the Saharan Motel on Sunset? It looks like it has that quintessential flavor of LA. I'm not after anything quaint or cottage like. I want the hardcore flavor. Any other similar motels like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Man I wish I was you!! Do you do research? My goodness I would MAX OUT 2 days in LA if I was you!! All you have to do is Hotwire hotwire hotwire!! If you go to Hotwire, you can buy a cheap ticket to LA from FL with a reduced price, order a cheap hotel, transportation to and from the hotel and airport all in one total deal. First what I would do is book a room at the Cecil Hotel in downtown LA. A relatively nice inexpensive hotel. For LA standards. In a prime location like downtown, I can take the bus to all the destinations I need in LA proper. For a 2 day stay, I would only be hanging out in and around Santa Monica. THE #1 tourist spot. Beaches, women, food, etc. It's great for a quick stay. And then go back home. Maybe try the local dining or clubs around downtown at night. But you gotta max out your resources and plan carefully. Good luck!

Hotwire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles