Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 65,350 times

Advertisements

Hello,

After touring a few houses in Agoura Hills, Culver City and Redondo Beach, my husband and I have decided to focus our search on Redondo Beach (wow, the 405 is CRAZY from Agoura Hills to Culver City... and I am used to Boston traffic). My husband is transferring to Culver City for his job and we found the commute from Culver City to Redondo Beach to be do-able. Lots of traffic but we did it for over a week and it took about 20-30 min...not bad. The schools systems in Redondo seem decent and the closeness to the beach is nice. My question is, is there a big difference between North and South Redondo? We are looking for a 2-3 bedroom townhouse around 550k (or less :-) and it seems that in that price range we are finding more places in North Redondo. Is South Redondo THAT much better? Is it worth waiting (and renting for a year) and finding a place in South Redondo? We need to find a place by 12/1. Also, if we must rent, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to find a house or townhouse to rent? We have looked on craigslist and there does not seem to be much for rent. Thank you for any comments/advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 62,816 times
I live in South Redondo and I really do think it's a little nicer than North Redondo. It's closer to the beach and has a different vibe, in my opinion anyway. It's hard for me to explain though. We moved here 3 years ago and are renting (we're a military family and knew we would only be here 4 years and couldn't find anything in our price range to buy).

I would suggest WestsideRentals.com for searching for places to rent. It's worth the small fee they charge if you decide you want to view the owner's contact info. That's house I found the house I live in now.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have about the area.

Last edited by Maggie618; 09-13-2010 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 PM

Maggie, thank you for you response. I have read and heard that S. Redondo is a nicer place to live and I am hoping to convince my husband that we can rent for a year in S. Redondo until we find a place we can afford. It seems like the area near the Riviera is a nice area. Unfortunately we did not get down to see it and focused mostly on N. Redondo and S. Redondo near the pier.

If you do not mind me asking, how much do you pay for rent? It sounds like you rent a house? It seems like there are mostly townhouses (or even worse, condos). I am going to join westsiderentals.com since I have heard a few people recommend them. Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:17 AM

10 posts, read 62,816 times
We pay $2750 for a 3 bed, 1 bath. It's an older craftsman-style house with no air conditioning (which as a Texas native scared the hell out of me, but being so close to the beach, we really haven't missed it). We live a couple blocks north of the pier just across PCH (near Redondo Union High School). We have a small front and backyard, which is cared for every Friday by landscapers and is included in our rent. Our landlord also covers our water bill as part of the lawn upkeep.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM

33 posts, read 140,749 times
S redondo has a much more laid back vibe. The riviera area is the best. I've lived her for 12 years and can't imagine living anywhere else.

The only real plus to N redondo is closer proximity to the freeway. S redondo is further from the 405 and the 110, but in my opinion that's part of its charm

There are townhomes and condos in the upper 400's in this area. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Hi! I just wanted to give an update for anyone reading this post. We did end up moving to North Redondo. We ended up buying a 3 bed 2 bath townhouse (front unit) for under 500k. We are on a very family friendly street and will be able to walk my son to Kindergarten in the fall. Currently he attends pre-k in South Redondo. I do love South Redondo but we couldn't find a decent place in our price range. Everything seemed to be a fixer or needed A LOT of cosmetic work. The place we bought was move in ready. It is only 1.5 miles to the beach and a short few blocks to the off leash dog park. We have a balcony, a garage and a patio. We have walked or ridden our bikes to many parks/playgrounds around the area. We are also super close to the Hermosa Pier so we find ourselves heading there for dinner/lunch/fun. In other words we are very happy with our decision. My husband works in Culver City and it takes him about 30 min to get to and from work going up Sepulveda the whole way.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:30 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelaben View Post
Hello,

After touring a few houses in Agoura Hills, Culver City and Redondo Beach, my husband and I have decided to focus our search on Redondo Beach (wow, the 405 is CRAZY from Agoura Hills to Culver City... and I am used to Boston traffic). My husband is transferring to Culver City for his job and we found the commute from Culver City to Redondo Beach to be do-able. Lots of traffic but we did it for over a week and it took about 20-30 min...not bad. The schools systems in Redondo seem decent and the closeness to the beach is nice. My question is, is there a big difference between North and South Redondo? We are looking for a 2-3 bedroom townhouse around 550k (or less :-) and it seems that in that price range we are finding more places in North Redondo. Is South Redondo THAT much better? Is it worth waiting (and renting for a year) and finding a place in South Redondo? We need to find a place by 12/1. Also, if we must rent, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to find a house or townhouse to rent? We have looked on craigslist and there does not seem to be much for rent. Thank you for any comments/advice!
In North Redondo you and your neighbor can open your windows and hand over a cup of sugar. Convenient for some but too close for me. North Redondo also has very narrow streets and homes with no front yards, and not much of a back yard either. On a warm day or night with windows open you can actually hear your neighbor sneeze, and you can reply Bless You! No kidding, I've done this!

South Redondo is better but still not enough elbow room for me.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:30 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
I lived in both South and North Redondo Beach but I have to say the last place we rented in South Redondo for 17 yrs was much nicer...Loved our neighbors. We lived in a townhouse on Lucia Avenue off of Torrance Blvd right up from the pier. North Redondo was not that bad unless you lived closer to Inglewood Avenue...

Old 09-24-2016, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,100 times
Yes, there is a difference between North and South Redondo. North Redondo is an inland experience. Some areas feature small single-family houses on very small lots. Other areas are mostly condos, mostly townhouses and detached townhouses. All of these areas are less desirable than south Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan Beach, but can be good for young families with small children.

As with all parts of the south bay, the further you get from the water, the cheaper and less desirable it gets. As the last poster mentioned, areas close to Inglewood ave become very sketchy. Things are better closer to PCH, but homes are very close together in all areas and suffer from limited interior light, small if any yard space and limited privacy. Demographics are more middle class than in some of the better regarded areas.

My advice would be to rent. Your budget is probably too low even for North Redondo. If you like South Redondo, work with a realtor to find a rental.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblanch1980 View Post
Yes, there is a difference between North and South Redondo. North Redondo is an inland experience. Some areas feature small single-family houses on very small lots. Other areas are mostly condos, mostly townhouses and detached townhouses. All of these areas are less desirable than south Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan Beach, but can be good for young families with small children.

As with all parts of the south bay, the further you get from the water, the cheaper and less desirable it gets. As the last poster mentioned, areas close to Inglewood ave become very sketchy. Things are better closer to PCH, but homes are very close together in all areas and suffer from limited interior light, small if any yard space and limited privacy. Demographics are more middle class than in some of the better regarded areas.

My advice would be to rent. Your budget is probably too low even for North Redondo. If you like South Redondo, work with a realtor to find a rental.
And this is what happens when you don't actually read the thread before replying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles