Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 17,956 times

Advertisements

This is my first home remodel and I don't know where to start. Anyone know of good reliable, reasonable contractors? I've been on Angieslist but I don't know if I can depend on it or not. Where is a good place to start shopping for all my bathroom fixtures, tile, tubs and vanities in Los Angeles? My style is contemporary and I am looking to make my shabby bathroom into a spa like bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
1. Hire a contractor. 2. Have yourself placed in an induced coma until the job is done and the contractor is ready to be paid. Okay, seriously...

To find a good contractor I recommend asking friends, family, colleagues and any real estate brokers you know. Meet a broker if you don't already have one. You're eventually going to sell that house, right? Might as well start a real estate broker relationship right now. They usually have some good referrals for painting, remodeling, etc. Get a market appraisal at the same time, it's interesting to find out what your house is worth. Just be ambiguous about when you may sell.

I had my house repiped about 5 years ago and I used exclusively the Symmons Symmetrix single control washerless faucets in bathroom sink, tub, shower and kitchen sink. They're guaranteed for life. You can visit their website to find local dealers.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene711 View Post
This is my first home remodel and I don't know where to start. Anyone know of good reliable, reasonable contractors? I've been on Angieslist but I don't know if I can depend on it or not. Where is a good place to start shopping for all my bathroom fixtures, tile, tubs and vanities in Los Angeles? My style is contemporary and I am looking to make my shabby bathroom into a spa like bathroom.

What part of los angeles are you located in. I used the following for stones and tile after a very time consuming search throughout la and even some of the larger warehouse showrooms in the valley:

Eskandari Stone: 2190 S Bundy Dr · Los Angeles (they sell half slabs of marble and other stones)
Import Tile Center: 1535 Lincoln Blvd Santa Monica (good selection)
Walker Zanger: 8750 Melrose Ave, West Hollywood (hi end, & very quality materials)

Plumbing fixtures:
Ferguson Supply: 2218 Broadway, Santa Monica
Classic Tile: 925 Wilshire Blvd (they are on of few places to carry a great shell shaped soapdish for the shower)

I didnt list homedepot..you can buy pre-fab stuff there and cheap tile. I dont recommend them at all though, especially for plumbing fixtures.

You will need a contractor to remove the existing equipment, tile shower etc.
and set up the sub contractors to monitor the flow. The bathroom is one of the most expensive rooms in the home to remodel. The biggest costs can come from changes or mistakes because someone is rushing their part through or not aware of the big picture. You really need to have a contractor that can help you picture what you want and bring it into a workable plan.

Here is what I did in order, to the best of my recollection:

Demolition of existing Cabinetry, tilework, shower, and drywall
modification of studs/framing to accept wall of medicine cabinets
frame up for shower floor and curb where the door sits, installation of new drain for shower, new controls, and replace any piping as needed, concrete pour for shower and shower walls.
Hot Mop/Seal shower walls and floor.
Installation of lighting in ceilings, additional outlets (you cant have enough)
lighting controls
drywall
Cabinet installation, I did a custom medicine cabinet which was cheaper than buying a prefab and it was about 5 times as big(best decision I made)
Tile Installation
Marble/granite counter installation
Sink and fixture installation
Painting and/or wallpaper/final install of electical fixtures
installation of towel bars etc.

I hope this will help you. Once you do one bathroom, the 2nd is much easier.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
and dont forget permits! if you get a contractor make sure they get the right permits. if you do it yourself, make your you have a good time line for permits. it can delay any project.

plumbing. building. electrical. etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
What part of los angeles are you located in. I used the following for stones and tile after a very time consuming search throughout la and even some of the larger warehouse showrooms in the valley:

Eskandari Stone: 2190 S Bundy Dr · Los Angeles (they sell half slabs of marble and other stones)
Import Tile Center: 1535 Lincoln Blvd Santa Monica (good selection)
Walker Zanger: 8750 Melrose Ave, West Hollywood (hi end, & very quality materials)

Plumbing fixtures:
Ferguson Supply: 2218 Broadway, Santa Monica
Classic Tile: 925 Wilshire Blvd (they are on of few places to carry a great shell shaped soapdish for the shower)

I didnt list homedepot..you can buy pre-fab stuff there and cheap tile. I dont recommend them at all though, especially for plumbing fixtures.

You will need a contractor to remove the existing equipment, tile shower etc.
and set up the sub contractors to monitor the flow. The bathroom is one of the most expensive rooms in the home to remodel. The biggest costs can come from changes or mistakes because someone is rushing their part through or not aware of the big picture. You really need to have a contractor that can help you picture what you want and bring it into a workable plan.

Here is what I did in order, to the best of my recollection:

Demolition of existing Cabinetry, tilework, shower, and drywall
modification of studs/framing to accept wall of medicine cabinets
frame up for shower floor and curb where the door sits, installation of new drain for shower, new controls, and replace any piping as needed, concrete pour for shower and shower walls.
Hot Mop/Seal shower walls and floor.
Installation of lighting in ceilings, additional outlets (you cant have enough)
lighting controls
drywall
Cabinet installation, I did a custom medicine cabinet which was cheaper than buying a prefab and it was about 5 times as big(best decision I made)
Tile Installation
Marble/granite counter installation
Sink and fixture installation
Painting and/or wallpaper/final install of electical fixtures
installation of towel bars etc.

I hope this will help you. Once you do one bathroom, the 2nd is much easier.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 17,956 times
Thank you so much for all the info! I live in the valley, there are so many stores in the north hollywood area, but didn't know where to start. I will check out those stores in Los Angeles.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene711 View Post
Thank you so much for all the info! I live in the valley, there are so many stores in the north hollywood area, but didn't know where to start. I will check out those stores in Los Angeles.
Walker Zanger has their main showroom and warehouse in the valley, so dont drive all the way out for them. Ferguson's may also have a valley location.

I mentioned eskandari because of the benefit of a half slab..if you want slabs on the counter.

There are some places in the valley out near sunland and off of roscoe, that you may want to check as well. You can get pretty decent prices if you find the stone you like out there.

I used the following contractor for the tile and countertop work on a few projects. They were reasonable and they did very good precise work:

Stone Unlimited
16028 Blythe St, Van Nuys Ca 91406 818-781-3555

Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
I recommend Snyder Diamond for fixtures. They've been in the high-end kitchen/bath furnishings game for decades and have their finger on the pulse of what's hot & trendy. In fact most of their clients are interior decorators/designers, not walk-in homeowners, but don't be intimidated. They're low-key.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Set up a construction account and disburse funds to the GC in draws. NEVER give them a sizable amount of funds up front.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
There are alot of out-of-work finishers, framers, carpenters, fixture guys. I'd call a local carpenters union hall and get references for out-of-work guys. Many of them can not only do the work but run it as well, get the right supplies, help with the permit process, etc. They are eager to do side work, especially now.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:43 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
and dont forget permits! if you get a contractor make sure they get the right permits. if you do it yourself, make your you have a good time line for permits. it can delay any project.

plumbing. building. electrical. etc etc.
You need permits to work on your own home??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles