Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 31,667 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job that is in downtown LA. Specifically on Flower and 5th. I have seen a few apartment buildings/lofts nearby but have no idea what the "neighborhood" is like in downtown. Actually, being a northern cali girl I have no idea what the "neighborhood" is like in LA at all, other than Disneyland, Venice Beach and Hollywood. My question is, if not a few blocks from the new office, where should I look to live? Would it be better to find a place within walking distance or are there other areas nearby that may not have a bad commute?

Also, feel free to share any other general info you feel like offering about the LA area. The good, the bad, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 AM

749 posts, read 1,863,038 times
Congrats on the new job. I highly recommend you come down and take a look around a few neighborhoods before you sign a lease.

There are plenty of options to look into (including downtown LA). THere are plenty of other neighborhoods to choose from. Craigslist is a good place to start looking.

Downtown Los Angeles has a lot of new and rehabbed loft buildings you could live in. Quick history lesson: 10 years ago...downtown was a ghost town. Fast forward to today...and downtown has become an up and comming area. New bars, restaurants, new lofts/apartments, and lots of young people moving in.

That said, if you prefer "quiet" and "tree-lined" streets you might try a neighborhood close by but NOT right in downtown.

Some relatively close by areas to consider depending on budget:

1. Miracle Mile
2. Los Feliz
3. Pasadena
4. Silverlake/Echo Park

Of course, some of these areas above would be much easier to live in IF you have a car. There is a subway and light rail that goes to some areas. Will you have a car?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:12 AM

Thank you for the info. I will look into those areas. To answer your questions....Yes, i will have a car but concerned with commute. I'd prefer however to be in a quieter area, but maybe the big city is a new experience I should try. I'm concerned with logistics of such things as grocery shopping, gym, reasonable access to freeways, etc. I'd like a more laid back type of neighborhood, with prehaps a trader joes nearby, something that hosts farmers markets, has chill bars and pubs vs. night clubs. Are there things like this in close proximity to where I will be working? Is there a reverse commute to downtown? If so, where would those areas be?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbigirl View Post
Thank you for the info.

I will look into those areas. To answer your questions....Yes, i will have a car but concerned with commute.

I'd prefer however to be in a quieter area, but maybe the big city is a new experience I should try.

I'm concerned with logistics of such things as grocery shopping, gym, reasonable access to freeways, etc.

I'd like a more laid back type of neighborhood, with prehaps a trader joes nearby, something that hosts farmers markets, has chill bars and pubs vs. night clubs. Are there things like this in close proximity to where I will be working? Is there a reverse commute to downtown? If so, where would those areas be?
1) I think if you prefer a more quiet area I'd would NOT live in downtown. It's a pretty dense, urban environment.

2) I'd look into Silverlake/Echo Park....they are right next to each other and you can drive to downtown without getting on the Freeway. I think we are talking like anywhere from 10 to 20 minute commute depending on where exactly you live. They have some very cool (and even peaceful) residential streets but also have laid back bars, Trader Joe's, etc.

3) Pasadena would require a commute by Freeway or Light Rail. So you might want to rule that out.

4) Miralce Mile is a bit farther from downtown than Silverlake/Echo Park but don't rule it out. This area is LESS hipster than Silverlake/Echo Park so if that is not your cup of tea you might consider Miracle Mile. Roughly the area immediately north and south of Wilshire Blvd from Fairfax to La Brea or Highland. Very pleasant and laid back vibe with some very nice architecture and very well located to other parts of LA. Also, there is a WIDE variety of housing to choose from including large new apt complexes to small, charming duplexes.

Major downside to the Mircale Mile is no easy access to the Freeway....but this is a central location so you won't use the freeway as much. I'd say the commute into downtown on surface streets (Wilshire) is about 30 minutes...at the peak traffic times. There is also VERY good bus service from here to downtown. The subway does NOT extend quite that far YET.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 AM

Here's a listing in the Miracle Mile area just south of Wilshire.

✿ classic vintage charm ✿ high ceiling / pets ok (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/1953913172.html - broken link)

This a nice location and you'll get a flavor for the area from the pic. That said, they are full of it in their add to say Santa Monica is only 10 minutes away in light traffic. No way. That said, with light traffic you can get to downtown in 15 to 20 minutes on surface streets from here.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 AM

5 posts, read 13,010 times
Default re:What is downtown LA like? Should I move there or somewhere nearby?

Most of downtown is filled with just businesses. LA is not an exception. If you want to fins a place to live, I think downtown is not a good choice. You know, it’s so crowed and out of order. Urban area is good, you can consider it.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin48616 View Post
Most of downtown is filled with just businesses. LA is not an exception. If you want to fins a place to live, I think downtown is not a good choice. You know, it’s so crowed and out of order. Urban area is good, you can consider it.
You post does not make a lot of sense. There are at least 40,000 residents living in downtown. Some people LIKE crowds and a little disorder.

It appears the OP does not ....but to each their own.

Acutally....You (Kristin) appear to be a troll. Makes perfect sense. Get a life....

Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 AM

BluSpark: you are awesome, thank you so much for the great info and the ad for the apt. I will extend my search to some of those other areas. As for liking the crowds and urban life, I'm not opposed to it, however it is not what I'm used to. I'm playing with the idea of trying something totally new and living in an urban city might be something I'd really enjoy. I'm planning a trip down next week to check things out. at least now i have a sort of starting point and ideas of where to focus my search. Again, you are great. Thanks a bunch

Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbigirl View Post
Thank you for the info. I will look into those areas. To answer your questions....Yes, i will have a car but concerned with commute. I'd prefer however to be in a quieter area, but maybe the big city is a new experience I should try. I'm concerned with logistics of such things as grocery shopping, gym, reasonable access to freeways, etc. I'd like a more laid back type of neighborhood, with prehaps a trader joes nearby, something that hosts farmers markets, has chill bars and pubs vs. night clubs. Are there things like this in close proximity to where I will be working? Is there a reverse commute to downtown? If so, where would those areas be?

Gabbi, there are several apartments within walking distance of 5th/Flower with the least expensive(I think), being the Metropolitan apartments at 9th/Flower or the Promenade Towers at 2nd and Fig.

There is not much near the Promenades. Near the Met there is a Ralphs, Golds Gym, 110 Fwy is a couple blocks away, 10 Fwy is about 8 blocks to the south, farmers market on Thursdays, and LA live amoungst other numerous restaurants and bars. All of those are within a 3 block walk of 9th/Flower.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
downtown is actually a great place to live...if you are the pioneering sort. what is most lacking are grocery options. but those can be had by travelling 5 to 10 minutes in any direction outside of DTLA. it is very urban, somewhat dense in places, but still sleepy in others. if you want more of a quieter suburban/urban vibe i say pasadena.
you can easily access downtwon via rail, freeway or side streets from pasadena. its quiet but does have nightlife. it has a TJ's, and "old town" shopping area. movie theatres, concerts in the park, art galleries. young folks. old people. couples. famillies. everything.
i suggest you look into pas.
given the chance i would look at DTLA tho, but thats based on the how much time i spend attending functions and events there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles