Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 11:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,234 times

Advertisements

My wife and I and our 2 young children are planning to move to LA sometime in the next year for work. We will both be doing medical fellowships and will likely be working at UCLA (although not for sure). We are trying to figure out what are suitable and affordable neighbourhoods. My in-laws live in Tarzana (where we know we DO NOT want to live), we love santa monica but it looks like it will cost over 4k to rent a 3 bedroom townhouse. Are there parts of santa monica that are more affordable? I think we could do up to 3-3.5k/month, or buy if something is in the 600-750k range. How does brentwood compare in terms of family-friendliness and affordability? Culver city?
Too many questions to ask, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 AM

179 posts, read 921,318 times
Santa monica is not a good place (in my opnion) to live if you have kids. It's more tourist and adult friendly. But i've only have gone there as an adult. you gotta ask those who grew up there who would know. I don't know the brentwood area, so i can just say that highland park is where i would recomend, or Eagle rock, possibly silverlake.

I don't know where you are coming from, or things that matter to you, but those are nice areas that are affordable.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:18 AM

652 posts, read 2,803,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
Santa monica is not a good place (in my opnion) to live if you have kids. It's more tourist and adult friendly.
Have you seen Santa Monica north of Wilshire?

Old 07-01-2007, 08:39 AM

5 posts, read 10,234 times
highland park and eagle rock sound nice, but we are looking for something a bit more central and closer to our family (in tarzana). It lloks like there are a lot of young families in santa monica, but maybe they are all just visiting - advice?

Old 07-01-2007, 02:08 PM

642 posts, read 3,071,969 times
Brentwood is absolutely family friendly. Have you not seen all the pictures of the celebs with their children in this area at parks etc? LOL.

It is also VERY close to UCLA and you not only will have one way but two ways and many variations on those two (traffic wise) to get to where you will be doing your fellowships. No need to waste your time travelling in the horrendous traffic here. Those fellowships will keep you both very busy. So family time will be of the essence. It is a quick ride home from the UCLA area into Brentwood.

As far as affordability there are other posts on here regarding Brentwood and costs and where to look. Maybe search the LA threads. Hope this is helpful. If not Brentwood, maybe Westwood. It may be a bit more affordable then Santa Monica.

Good Luck. Housing pricing is important, yes, but time and low stress in your situation may be worth that extra cost right now--especially with children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaced canadian View Post
My wife and I and our 2 young children are planning to move to LA sometime in the next year for work. We will both be doing medical fellowships and will likely be working at UCLA (although not for sure). We are trying to figure out what are suitable and affordable neighbourhoods. My in-laws live in Tarzana (where we know we DO NOT want to live), we love santa monica but it looks like it will cost over 4k to rent a 3 bedroom townhouse. Are there parts of santa monica that are more affordable? I think we could do up to 3-3.5k/month, or buy if something is in the 600-750k range. How does brentwood compare in terms of family-friendliness and affordability? Culver city?

Old 07-01-2007, 05:51 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,445 times
Santa Monica is very family friendly. As another poster pointed out, north of Wilshire is especially desirable. You might also check out Pacific Palisades which is north of Santa Monica on the coast. Between the Palisades, Santa Monica, Brentwood, Westwood and Culver City you should be able to find something decent in the $3000-$4,000 price range. Areas like Rancho Park near Westside Pavilion Mall, Cheviot Hills and Beverlywood might have something to offer as well. All of these areas have very nice residential streets that include families with young children and they are all relatively close to UCLA.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displaced canadian View Post

Try Brentwood, Santa Monica, Westwood, West Los Angeles-No. of Olympic Blvd. The 3 bdrm part reduces availablity in your lease range. I saw some 3 bdrm condos in the high 600,000 range in West LA No. of Santa Monica Blvd. That is literally 5 minutes from UCLA. They also offer a shuttle service. Personally, Id pass on culver city. How old are your kids? If you can stay East of the 405 Frwy, you will have an easier commute since UCLA is also East of the 405.
All of the above are not too far from Tarzana if you avoid the herd of commuters that return to the valley every evening after work.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:34 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
If you will move into the LAUSD area, use this zone map tool to check your neighborhood schools: School Finder

Brentwood seems to be universally zoned to good elementary schools and Paul Revere Middle School (a high-scoring middle school). Now, Brentwood is split between Palisades Charter High School and University High School. Palisades is considered to be better than University.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,882 times
We also moved from Canada to Westside LA. You will love the weather. I would recommmend Westwood for safety, elementary schools, and no commute to UCLA. It has excellent elementary schools up to grade 5. One of them (Fairburn) is one of the top in the whole of LA county (Academic Performance Index 965/1000 in 2006). Comparable to a very good Canadian public school. Better then any other school in the area as far as test scores go.

Why Westwood - 1) no commute to UCLA. Parking maybe a hassle at UCLA - can take a bike or walk. 2) Great schools. 3) Relatively affordable. A reasonable 1500-1700sqf 2-3 bedroom condo can be found for < 800k in Westwood or better if you look hard, or 2.5-3k rent. Reasonable 3-bedroom houses start probably at 1.2 mln $
When comparing prices consider up to 40-45% tax mortgage deduction here in CA not available in Canada. When you move from Canada and have no credit established in US it may take a few months to get the mortgage, but you can rent for a year. Canadian credit does not count. Alternatives- Brentwood, West LA, Cheviot Hills, Rancho Park do not have top notch elementary schools you may need to go private. Santa Monica has good schools (some of them) but parts of Santa Monica could be unsafe - all kinds of people are attracted to the beach and entertainment there.
North of Montana in SM is OK but more $ compared to Westwood + 10-20 minutes commute. Beverly Hills is safe and has relatively good schools including OK high school but reasonable houses start at 1.5 mln or more and condos probabably at 1 mln. Rent will be also higher and there will be 10-20 min commute.

Check for yourself at these 3 key sites

Schools - GreatSchools.net

Rentals Apartment Rentals in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego

To buy condos/houses Multiple Listing Service Los Angeles Real Estate - TheMLS.com.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles