Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 PM

7 posts, read 76,086 times

Advertisements

Very confused about this. Just got yelled at for letting my dog (this time) just have a sniff on grass in front of next door condo building.

I tried to find out what the LA laws are, but as far as I can tell it seems to be illegal to let your dog poop, well.....ANYwhere - at least anywhere on property public or private that you are not the owner of....

I live in an Apartment building, so I dont own any property. Does this mean my dog is just not allowed to poop anywhere?

First part says you cant let your dog poop on public or private property.
Second part says you have to pick it up. Which one of these? It seems contradictory.

I always pick it up. But even if I do I can still be fined or yelled at?

If i let her poop on grass which i dont own and pick it up am I breaking the law? and can the crazy old lady in the dirty dress from next door keep shouting at me even if i'm always picking it up?

I ALways pick up the poop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
if management or tenants from a neighboring property don't want your dog to do its business on their property, just go elsewhere. Dog urine can burn grass & small toddlers may crawl around on the lawn.

Granted if you live in a concrete jungle like Downtown, it's tough to find a patch of greenery for your animal, but you should've thought of that before you moved in. Just sayin!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 PM

We dont live in a concrete jungle like downtown. There is grass, lawns and sidewalks with grass all over the place here. That wasnt the question.

Can you read or do you just like going around offering pointless advice..."just sayin" REALLY???

Old 09-21-2010, 01:14 AM

422 posts, read 1,818,541 times
Perhaps you just don't like the crazy lady yelling at you.

You probably won't like this answer either, but you're the one who asked for advice on a public Internet forum from perfect strangers and then threw back insults when you didn't get the answer you wanted:

Forget what the law says. Just be considerate of your neighbors who don't want your dog using their grass as his toilet, even if you do pick it up. There are plenty who don't care or aren't home when you walk your dog. So just move on and find somewhere else and you won't get yelled at.

And try not being so hostile when people take the time to actually read your post and try to respond to it. After reading your caustic reply, even if I knew the law and could give you a definite legal answer, I might be tempted to keep it to myself.

Last edited by Cubancoffee; 09-21-2010 at 01:28 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Perhaps you just don't like the crazy lady yelling at you.
Can't blame anybody for not liking that; there are too many crazy people in this city and they all need to $TFU.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 AM

@cubancoffee - my response to the first "answer" was not particularly hostile I feel. Since it was no answer at all. It was no more "caustic" but perhaps a smidge less inane than "Just sayin'" .
I summarized the law, so you didn't need to tell me what it was. I was actually looking for an intelligent debate about the interpretation of the law which seems contradictory to me.

@Visit A Library - dont know what $**** means.

thanks for nothing LA

Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinecca View Post
@cubancoffee - my response to the first "answer" was not particularly hostile I feel. Since it was no answer at all. It was no more "caustic" but perhaps a smidge less inane than "Just sayin'" .
I summarized the law, so you didn't need to tell me what it was. I was actually looking for an intelligent debate about the interpretation of the law which seems contradictory to me.

@Visit A Library - dont know what $**** means.

thanks for nothing LA
$TFU = shut the f*** up

Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
To get back on topic,
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a city ordinance stating where your dog does it's duty.
The law DOES require that you pick up after your pet though.
If some property owner yelled at you for allowing your dog to use their property, the best thing you can do is honor their request and move on.
Bob.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
http://www.seasonals.com/images/DogsScan3.gif (broken link)

Old 09-22-2010, 01:08 AM

422 posts, read 1,818,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
To get back on topic,
If some property owner yelled at you for allowing your dog to use their property, the best thing you can do is honor their request and move on.
Bob.
Sorry if I was rude, but this is what I was driving at. It makes no sense to even consider getting the law (police? courts?) involved in a problem that is best solved by simple discretion. If someone was yelling at me for letting my dog poop on her lawn, I'd find some other place for my dog to make his deposits. Cause she's gonna yell no matter what the law is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles