Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM

271 posts, read 1,662,827 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

What about the Rose Bowl stadium and Angel Stadium in Anaheim?

Will I be able to see those from the plane (during landing or takeoff) as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,791,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

What about the Rose Bowl stadium and Angel Stadium in Anaheim?

Will I be able to see those from the plane (during landing or takeoff) as well?
Rose Bowl would be far away. Angel Stadium would probably be out the left side of the plane on approach.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,914,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Rose Bowl would be far away. Angel Stadium would probably be out the left side of the plane on approach.
I doubt flying into LAX would have a great view. Definitely a possiblity at Orange County since it is so close. Regardless, none of the views from the plane on approach to LAX are that great. Since more attractions are closer to SNA your chances are a bit higher. But, best in the afternoon.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,512,325 times
The best I have ever seen was a few swimming pools. All the sites you want to see are best seen from a taxi. Sorry!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:53 PM

109 posts, read 203,715 times
Take it from someone who flew in and out of LAX weekly for years.... to see the Hollywood sign, sit on the right side of the plane and get a flight that is coming in between 3 PM and 6 PM. Look out of the window at the tops of the hills to catch it. You'll see it about five minutes before touching down. You'll also get a nice view of downtown. All bets are off if the weather is inclement or the air is really bad that day.

You could also get a view of the Rose Bowl but unless you know what you're looking for, it might be tough to pick out of everything you're going to see on the ground. Remember not to sit over the wing so you get maximum ground view.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 AM

271 posts, read 1,662,827 times
I forgot to mention to you guys that my arrival at LAX is only for a layover. I'll be flying from Dallas to LAX in the evening, and then I'll be taking Qantas from LAX to Sydney close to midnight.

A week later, I'll be flying from Sydney back to LAX (arriving early in the morning PST), and then from LAX back to DFW (departing in the afternoon).

That being said-

Do incoming transpacific flights fly over the city, and then turn around before landing at LAX?

Do outgoing Texas-bound flights immediately turn southward upon takeoff from LAX?

In each case- What side of the plane should I be seated in order to try to get a glimpse of the Hollywood sign, Angel Stadium, and/or the Staples Center?

Old 09-21-2010, 12:22 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,327,705 times
Quote:
Do incoming transpacific flights fly over the city, and then turn around before landing at LAX?
I've been in Monterey Park (east of downtown LA) and seen 747's doing 180's almost overhead going into LAX. I assume they're coming in from Asia or father.

Quote:
Do outgoing Texas-bound flights immediately turn southward upon takeoff from LAX?
I believe so. When I last flew out of LAX to Phoenix, we did a 180 over the water before crossing back over land.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:48 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,453,139 times
Quote:

Now that I think of it, aren't there situations (middle of the night or certain weather conditions) in which planes take off into and land from the same direction? The other day about 5:50 AM or so I was transitioning from the SB 405 to the WB 105 and I thought I saw planes landing from over the ocean. Also, there were planes taking off over the ocean. I may be wrong but I thought LAX did this for either noise abatement or weather reasons.

Last edited by Charles; 09-21-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,791,761 times
My few experiences flying in/out of LAX:

ONT-LAX: a straight line pretty much, very short, plane was about as big as a bus. Landed in what looked like the middle of nowhere (complete with a tiny terminal) and had to take a tram to the real terminal. Downtown looked huge. 7am or so.

LAX-YYZ: Took off westbound, stayed over the ocean for a bit, turned around in time to see the Palos Verdes Peninsula, Long Beach, etc. Saw Corona and Riverside from the air but they looked pretty small by then (this was out the left side of the plane). 830am or so

YYZ-LAX: Came in like a bat outta hell over the San Bernardino Mountains, was much further north than on takeoff (like around I-10/CA-60) and went in straight. I remember a great view of downtown but that was pretty much it. I don't recall seeing the Hollywood sign (old hat). Right side of plane. 1pm or so.

LAX-ONT: Quick turn-around barely over the ocean (Palos Verdes, Long Beach again), and a straight line into ONT. 2pm or so.

OP, do the flight simulator on Google Earth. It's like the same thing, but no moving Micro Machines and/or plane sounds/smells.

Or, just wait for some pleasant surprises and enjoy what you see.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM

109 posts, read 203,715 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention to you guys that my arrival at LAX is only for a layover. I'll be flying from Dallas to LAX in the evening, and then I'll be taking Qantas from LAX to Sydney close to midnight.

A week later, I'll be flying from Sydney back to LAX (arriving early in the morning PST), and then from LAX back to DFW (departing in the afternoon).

That being said-

In each case- What side of the plane should I be seated in order to try to get a glimpse of the Hollywood sign, Angel Stadium, and/or the Staples Center?
Flights into LAX almost always approach from the East and takeoff to the west with only a couple of exceptions. This is true no matter the origin of the flight. Inbound flights from the Pacific will overshoot LA and then turn around to make the approach from the East.

For your incoming flights, they will approach in almost a straight line to the east from at least 15 miles out. Once you're next to downtown, they will fly parallel to the 105 freeway (which terminates on the south border of LAX) and basically follow it from downtown because the 105 is a little to the left, almost directly under the approach path. Prior to downtown, you will most likely be flying directly over the San Gabriel valley. It's doubtful you're going to be able to spot Angel Stadium. The Staples Center is in downtown LA and usually easily spotted, especially since the logo is on the roof. Again, sit on the right side of the plane. Forget about Angel Stadium.

Outgoing AA flights generally turn southward and come in over Orange County to head towards DFW. You might spot Angel Stadium but it's anyone's guess as to which side of the plane. Outgoing flights have less of a predictable pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles