Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:57 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Are you kidding? Miami has some of the most terrifying gangs in the nation. L.A. isn't any worse than Chicago or NYC. Big cities all have crime, gangs, traffic and pollution. To avoid them, move to the boonies.
Ummm, NYC does not have 40,000 gang members on our streets. Trust.

LA let this nonsense get out of control when they should have stomped it out YEARS ago. But after living here these past few years I realize just how WILD WEST and COUNTRY this place is. It's a series of SUBURBS masquerading itself as a real city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
Los Angeles is a very large city that really can only be compared with New York
Los Angeles can in NO WAY be compared to New York. The entire state of NY can fit inside the state of California three times and there would still be enough room available. The City of New York also have approximately 45,000 cops to cover every square inch of all 5 boroughs (bronx, brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island). You can't spin around without seeing a cop car or two in the area. Here in LA, I can go several days without seeing a cop car drive by and if I do, I'm wondering who they're sneaking up on, because I know they're not "patrolling" anything.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:02 AM

47 posts, read 369,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Without sounding like a racist, I have to agree that Mexicans are very, very, very, very, very different from the latinos I'm used to. I grew up in NYC around PRs first, then the Dominicans started trickling in. The Central Americans (el salvador, honduras, guatemala, colombia) tend to live in Jackson Heights, Queens, and even they're different in their outlook on things (though I've never actually hung out with any).

Let's just say Mexicans do NOT respect education or believe in abortion or birth control.

I will also say that I find Black Americans born and raised in LA "different" as well (and not in a good way). And before you call me a racist - I'm black too.
Hey listen just because of whatever doesn't mean you cannot be racist towards you're own people. I'm black and I have experienced a lot of racism from black people, especially Nigerians.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Los Angeles can in NO WAY be compared to New York. The entire state of NY can fit inside the state of California three times and there would still be enough room available. The City of New York also have approximately 45,000 cops to cover every square inch of all 5 boroughs (bronx, brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island). You can't spin around without seeing a cop car or two in the area. Here in LA, I can go several days without seeing a cop car drive by and if I do, I'm wondering who they're sneaking up on, because I know they're not "patrolling" anything.
Exactly. Hollywood Blvd is ghetto and late at night I never see police around and i'm thinking what the f***?

I don't think gangs are a HUGE problem. You find this s*** everywhere. Something I've noticed about Americans.... you guys get scared too easily and the media doesn't help. So people become too quick to judge and assume stuff.

Last edited by SandyCo; 07-07-2007 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: language; please keep it clean

Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Tea View Post
Hey listen just because of whatever doesn't mean you cannot be racist towards you're own people. I'm black and I have experienced a lot of racism from black people, especially Nigerians.
Man, I couldn't care less what FOREIGN blacks thought about me. LOL!

Puhleeze! If it wasn't for the struggles of Black Americans during the Civil Rights era many of them wouldn't be here. If anything, they should be "bowing down" when they see black americans and saying "thank you".

Old 07-04-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Man, I couldn't care less what FOREIGN blacks thought about me. LOL!

Puhleeze! If it wasn't for the struggles of Black Americans during the Civil Rights era many of them wouldn't be here. If anything, they should be "bowing down" when they see black americans and saying "thank you".
"bowing down" saying "thank you".... Mate I wouldn't go that far and you should be aware of what "Foreign" blacks think about African Americans because there's a lot of you (not all) that lack basic knowledge. The whole n'igger/n'igga/n'iggah thing trying to make it trendy and cool is a fine example.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
"bowing down" saying "thank you".... Mate I wouldn't go that far and you should be aware of what "Foreign" blacks think about African Americans because there's a lot of you (not all) that lack basic knowledge. The whole n'igger/n'igga/n'iggah thing trying to make it trendy and cool is a fine example.

They NEVER tried to make that word cool. Ever. No one's trying to take the "sting" out of the word. It's an evil word with a horrible history. It doesn't matter how many different ways you spell it, if white people aren't allowed to say it, then that means it's a word that is NOT acceptable. Period.

And again, I don't care what FOREIGN blacks think about black americans. There are REASONS for why things are the way they are. If you haven't shared the history, then you don't know the struggles. I'm first generation West Indian. Thankfully, I was raised around black americans and not my own people which I'm quite happy about. My parents made us assimilate and NEVER ONCE said anything derogatory about black americans. Not once. It wasn't a "we" vs. "them" type thing like it is now among current day immigrants. Foreign blacks will NEVER be able to contemplate the horrors of being in a country where everyone hated you for no other reason than for the color of your skin (didn't matter whether you were dark or light either).

Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Also, if you mean by "lacking basic knowledge" and the only blacks you're coming in contacted with are those raised in LA, then I can totally get where you're coming from. Believe me. They are extremely different. Kind of like how Florida blacks are, but not as subservient. Let's just leave it at that.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 AM

97 posts, read 646,714 times
I want to know more about your point of view on this one.How would you say other hispanics such as say the ones in NYC or Miami or different than mexicans in their attitudes.Also how are black people here any different than the ones in NYC or Philly.I do not disagree with you but just wondering why that the ethnic groups have different attitudes.

Quote:
Without sounding like a racist, I have to agree that Mexicans are very, very, very, very, very different from the latinos I'm used to. I grew up in NYC around PRs first, then the Dominicans started trickling in. The Central Americans (el salvador, honduras, guatemala, colombia) tend to live in Jackson Heights, Queens, and even they're different in their outlook on things (though I've never actually hung out with any).

Let's just say Mexicans do NOT respect education or believe in abortion or birth control.

I will also say that I find Black Americans born and raised in LA "different" as well (and not in a good way). And before you call me a racist - I'm black too.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
I want to know more about your point of view on this one.How would you say other hispanics such as say the ones in NYC or Miami or different than mexicans in their attitudes.Also how are black people here any different than the ones in NYC or Philly.I do not disagree with you but just wondering why that the ethnic groups have different attitudes.
The difference is that black and puerto ricans are raised together. We listen to the same music, date each other and do not differentiate ourselves. Unlike Mexicans, many of them don't speak spanish and have ASSIMILATED into the culture. They're allegiance is not to Puerto Rico, but to the UNITED STATES. We share a common brotherhood. Many of them do go onto college and want to be more than menial workers and baby making machines. Dominicans came on the scene much later, I didn't grow up with them, but they tend to want to start their own businesses as well as work a coupla jobs to support the family.

Mexicans, on the other hand, don't consider themselves anything other than MEXICAN. They could be second or third generation and will still identify with the country and the town they came from instead of the country they were BORN in. Education is not important. The high school dropout rate is astronomical and the parents don't seem to care. They pop out kids with no regards to their economic circumstances. Unlike on the east coast, Mexicans do not share the same "brotherhood" mentality like they do back east.

The other latino groups (salvadorian, guatemalan, etc.), though also poor, will usually finish high school and go onto higher education without much prompting, because they know it's expected of them. I find this to be true both here and in NYC. This is what their PARENTS want them to do. I don't get why Mexicans don't feel the same way. It's weird.

Last edited by marilyn220; 07-04-2007 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles