Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:09 AM

240 posts, read 1,423,617 times

Advertisements

In college I took a sociology class and still remember one study which tracked some middle- to-high socioeconomic kids in high school and compared the damage that they did in the community with some kids from a low income school. The kids from the middle-to-high socioeconomic group actually caused more damage in the community. But, because their parents had money and could bail them out of any problems with law enforcement, these kids went on to college. The poor kids went to juvenile detention and then presumably onto jail.

I think it boils down to economic opportunity. The poor kids here don't realize that they have the same opportunity to work hard and do well for themselves as their wealthier counterparts. The media interview former gang members a lot and many say that they joined a gang to earn money and respect. If there was a way to reach these kids and convince them that money and respect would be longer lasting if they went to college and worked hard, maybe we could succeed in limiting the allure of gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
NYC gang capital......?.......is that what they are really known for?.......L.A. IS RELATABLE TO GANG KILLINGS MORE THAN nyc IS.......NYC is more like Miami in that the thugs there are more about making money than about jumping people into gangs or making sure no one from another neighborhood comes into your territory like L.A. gangs are about....L.A. gangs are about the drug trade and making money to, but there is more basis on sticking together as a group in your gang in L.A. than in NYC ......just watch any documentary about L.A. gangs and New York Gangs.....from the 80's until now and you'll see what i mean.......i knew kids in gangs in Miami that were from the NYC area and i lived in Cali and visited alot after i moved and i notice the difference when each group says they are in a gang......

This is a good L.A. gang documentary

YouTube - Black and Mexican conflict in Compton and Los Angeles

Heres a NYC gang documentary (KINDA STUPID IF YOU ASK ME)

YouTube - NYC Harlem Gang Bangers

Last edited by SandyCo; 07-17-2007 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: language

Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 11,505 times
People have all sorts of answers to this question of gang problems and I will just say what I personally believe is the answer. These people are esentially products of their environments as someone said earlier. Now, why do blacks and latinos dominate the street gang environment in Los Angeles? Well, I believe it has to do with race. Yes, many inhabit some of the most impoverished areas of the city, but look at the origins of these people. Africa is a complete and utter mess and has been that way from the dawn of existence. Violence constantly plagues the continent and the people there are constantly played like cards by corrupt governments. African Americans have been in North America for centuries and for some reason have never really overcome the same sort of social injustices other races have. The Irish were victims of prejudices for years in the east coast during the 19th Century because of their faith and have overcome this. Millions of successful Americans have originated from these early American immigrants. African Americans on the other still seem to be struggling, and the same goes to Latinos, more specifically Mexicans. Now I am not saying ALL Latinos and African Americans are like this, as there is an abundance who have all found success, but why are these races struggling more so than others?

The stats:
U.S. Population Statistics Disaggregated by Race and Gender (http://www.maec.org/stats.html#poverty - broken link)

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/005647.html - broken link)

Now as for the Mexicans/Latinos, their problems once again seem to stem from their origins. The entire continent of South/Central America, like Africa, has and still is chaotic. Corrupt governements, violence, mass poverty. I myself am half Colombian. The last time I was there was in 2002, I was robbed at gunpoint, by two young men, who were clearly inhabitants of some sort of mountain slum in Bogota. These people are given incredible opportunities to succed and thrive within the world's greatest economy here in the USA, yet don't. Test scores, median wages and education levels all proove that there is a lower standard of success among these races. As a result, they resort to street gangs and squabble over the potential riches to be earned over illegal activites. WHY? Who the hell knows. But there seems to be a large quantity of similarities as to what goes on in the places of origin, and to what happens here in North America (Street Gangs), Los Angeles happening to be a major area of its occurance. And just a note it happens ALL over the place as many of you know. People propose suggestions and such to resolve these mass problems but what more can we do? Throw money on a gold plate to them?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:59 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Without sounding like a racist, I have to agree that Mexicans are very, very, very, very, very different from the latinos I'm used to. I grew up in NYC around PRs first, then the Dominicans started trickling in. The Central Americans (el salvador, honduras, guatemala, colombia) tend to live in Jackson Heights, Queens, and even they're different in their outlook on things (though I've never actually hung out with any).

Let's just say Mexicans do NOT respect education or believe in abortion or birth control.

I will also say that I find Black Americans born and raised in LA "different" as well (and not in a good way). And before you call me a racist - I'm black too.
I think kids get into gangs because of boredom, poverty and lack of role models and a support system. It is all about upbringing and learned behaviors not race. I wouldn't target a RACE as so many people are racist in LA as you can read by people's comments. It is social status and uneducated people. Many of them just happen to be coming from Mexico after all it is a 3rd world country. I know a lot of educated Mexicans so please stop generalizing and targeting a race.

In Miami, there are more outlets for kids like South Beach to hang out. The suburbs of LA have nothing and are extremely boring. There is nothing for kids to do so I can see how kids would experiment with drugs which I believe is the main driver of gangs and violence. Eventually, the kids are lost for good and feel like they have no hope so all these losers stick together and form alliances. It's sad really...you just have to hope and pray for change. I would like to start a non-profit and help kids get educated and stay on track for success. They need to know that there is a hope in escaping their society.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:25 PM

73 posts, read 322,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
New York...LOL.....Mexicans are harder than what New Yorkers have to offer...New Yorkers go off of thier accent to make people think they are tougher than anywhere else...that is all they have ..(the average New Yorker THAT is) don't let em scare ya.....Mexico has a worse crime problem than NYC and that can be proven....so please dont give new yorkers a reason to think they are "all that" ....that is what they want...for you to be scared of them"....Cali is gang capital.....but i love the nice areas in Cali but Cali "can" compare to what these New YOrkers "want" you to believe........i am from Florida and would be more scared to walk through a Cali Ghetto than a NYC ghetto even if there is crime in both....just my skin color would get me shot in a Cali Ghetto
Sounds like you have personal problem wit NY

Old 07-31-2007, 01:12 PM

15 posts, read 78,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
New York...LOL.....Mexicans are harder than what New Yorkers have to offer...New Yorkers go off of thier accent to make people think they are tougher than anywhere else...that is all they have ..(the average New Yorker THAT is) don't let em scare ya.....Mexico has a worse crime problem than NYC and that can be proven....so please dont give new yorkers a reason to think they are "all that" ....that is what they want...for you to be scared of them"....Cali is gang capital.....but i love the nice areas in Cali but Cali "can" compare to what these New YOrkers "want" you to believe........i am from Florida and would be more scared to walk through a Cali Ghetto than a NYC ghetto even if there is crime in both....just my skin color would get me shot in a Cali Ghetto
Wow that totally reminded me of a time when I was visiting friends in Watts. Everywhere we went we had to be conscious of what neighborhood we were in or street etc. Its like having borders, we couldn't go past this street or into that hood. My friends who still live there are latino and if we were all to go into say the J dams apartment complex then we would either get jumped or shot at or both. Likewise if some black kids were to wander into a barrio or mexican hood. This is from experience, gang colors and skin color matter just as much in Cali hoods.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM

128 posts, read 461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinazndude View Post
Wow that totally reminded me of a time when I was visiting friends in Watts. Everywhere we went we had to be conscious of what neighborhood we were in or street etc. Its like having borders, we couldn't go past this street or into that hood. My friends who still live there are latino and if we were all to go into say the J dams apartment complex then we would either get jumped or shot at or both. Likewise if some black kids were to wander into a barrio or mexican hood. This is from experience, gang colors and skin color matter just as much in Cali hoods.

blame the system.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM

128 posts, read 461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat14 View Post
People have all sorts of answers to this question of gang problems and I will just say what I personally believe is the answer. These people are esentially products of their environments as someone said earlier. Now, why do blacks and latinos dominate the street gang environment in Los Angeles? Well, I believe it has to do with race. Yes, many inhabit some of the most impoverished areas of the city, but look at the origins of these people. Africa is a complete and utter mess and has been that way from the dawn of existence. Violence constantly plagues the continent and the people there are constantly played like cards by corrupt governments. African Americans have been in North America for centuries and for some reason have never really overcome the same sort of social injustices other races have. The Irish were victims of prejudices for years in the east coast during the 19th Century because of their faith and have overcome this. Millions of successful Americans have originated from these early American immigrants. African Americans on the other still seem to be struggling, and the same goes to Latinos, more specifically Mexicans. Now I am not saying ALL Latinos and African Americans are like this, as there is an abundance who have all found success, but why are these races struggling more so than others?

The stats:
U.S. Population Statistics Disaggregated by Race and Gender (http://www.maec.org/stats.html#poverty - broken link)

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/005647.html - broken link)

Now as for the Mexicans/Latinos, their problems once again seem to stem from their origins. The entire continent of South/Central America, like Africa, has and still is chaotic. Corrupt governements, violence, mass poverty. I myself am half Colombian. The last time I was there was in 2002, I was robbed at gunpoint, by two young men, who were clearly inhabitants of some sort of mountain slum in Bogota. These people are given incredible opportunities to succed and thrive within the world's greatest economy here in the USA, yet don't. Test scores, median wages and education levels all proove that there is a lower standard of success among these races. As a result, they resort to street gangs and squabble over the potential riches to be earned over illegal activites. WHY? Who the hell knows. But there seems to be a large quantity of similarities as to what goes on in the places of origin, and to what happens here in North America (Street Gangs), Los Angeles happening to be a major area of its occurance. And just a note it happens ALL over the place as many of you know. People propose suggestions and such to resolve these mass problems but what more can we do? Throw money on a gold plate to them?

"you can only take an Ox to a pond.. but you can't make it drink the water..."

Old 09-01-2007, 10:27 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
The media interview former gang members a lot and many say that they joined a gang to earn money and respect. If there was a way to reach these kids and convince them that money and respect would be longer lasting if they went to college and worked hard, maybe we could succeed in limiting the allure of gangs.

I grew up in Miami and had some friends that were in gangs in my neighborhood and the kind of respect that they want was not the same thing as the average adult is looking for......the respect those kids talk about is having the fear of people around them so that they feel powerfull
and so that no one would dare mess with them ....that way they wont have to worry about people always attacking them physically or emotionally

Old 09-02-2007, 12:36 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Call me incredibly naive......but, if I was born in a dirt poor country (africa, mexico, south east asia), and I had the chance to go to america..

-And get a free education

-Get educated in my own language!! Bilingual education

-Have a ton of opportunities open to me

And you want to help support your family back home. Has an immigrant ever come to America and not wanted to help family back home who might be struggling?

Why in the world wouldn't you take advantage of that?!?

You look at the horrible drop out rate in LAUSD, it just doesnt make any sense.

Racist or not, there are many, many, many, many legal citizens born here, who don't understand what the illegals do at all. Complete insanity IMO.

I don't know if I necessarily buy the "hardship", "Racist", whites are holding down all the brown/black people...therefore let's start a gang.

There's always been gangs in LA I guess.

But alot of people have had it bad. The Japanese were basically put in nice concentration camps in the 40's during WWII. Vietnamese boat people that struggled to get here, etc.

I don't think it's just poverty, hardship that causes gangs. It's a big combination of factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles