Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 5,904 times

Advertisements

Next year my boyfriend and I will be relocating to LA. We're both in our 20s and looking for a place to rent in a safe area. Our price range is between $2000-$3000.

I'm a total city girl and I love love love Boston and the surrounding cities and what they offer in terms of art, concerts (indie music), and nightlife. I'm looking for a place that has a fun urban culture and nice places to shop. I also like being able to walk to places or take public transportation if I need to.

We're also looking for an area with a decent commute to the Air Force Base in El Segundo. Based on potential commute times, I have on my list Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Studio City, Palos Verdes Estates, and Santa Monica. I think the commute from Santa Monica might be a bit long based on what Google Maps tell me, but I was wondering if it's better at certain times. Not sure how these places fit in with the preferences I have. I hope I can get some help and other suggestions of places. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc00006 View Post
Next year my boyfriend and I will be relocating to LA. We're both in our 20s and looking for a place to rent in a safe area. Our price range is between $2000-$3000.

1) I'm a total city girl and I love love love Boston and the surrounding cities and what they offer in terms of art, concerts (indie music), and nightlife. I'm looking for a place that has a fun urban culture and nice places to shop. I also like being able to walk to places or take public transportation if I need to.

We're also looking for an area with a decent commute to the Air Force Base in El Segundo. Based on potential commute times, I have on my list Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Studio City, Palos Verdes Estates, and Santa Monica. I think the commute from Santa Monica might be a bit long based on what Google Maps tell me, but I was wondering if it's better at certain times. Not sure how these places fit in with the preferences I have. I hope I can get some help and other suggestions of places. Thanks!
1) Based on your likes you noted above, I'd say SANTA MONICA fits the bill the best. Traffic is a living hell in LA....that said a commute from SM to El Segundo is quite reasonable by LA standards.

Yet, both Manhattan and Hermosa Beach are nice beach towns with some character and walkability. Also, they are close to El Segundo.

Forget Studio City....that commute would be a killer. Nice area for sure.

Palos Verdes Estates is a nice suburban area but not conducive to walking or public transit, etc.

Make a long story short, based on what you've said I'd focus on: Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and Hermosa Beach.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
santa monica is fine, but studio city and palos verdes estates are too far. the south bay is very nice and close, but lacks the culture and urban feel that you can find on the westside and central LA. santa monica might be a good fit for you guys and the commute shouldn't be longer than 30-40 minutes each way, but this is LA so you never know. also remember that LA is nothing like Boston or any of the major east coast cities for that matter. keep an open mind when you get here and try to adjust your life to LA rather than have LA adjust to you, you'll be better off in the long run.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
By Studio City I think you really meant Culver City, and that's an option. There are galleries, restaurants and shopping so it's pretty walkable. There are some good bars with music, Cinema Bar and Rush Street and others, plus some divier places that are cool. Culver City has summer block parties that get great crowds. Of course, there's the Museum of Jurassic Technology. Of course, there's that particular, surreal "L.A." vibe that you may detect there. But Inglewood's right next door if you should ever feel disorientation.

Check out areas of Westchester too, while you're at it. It's not as active but you may respond to the place, and it's even closer to El Segundo.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
a commute from SM to El Segundo is quite reasonable by LA standards.

Driving to Santa Monica will be rough too. Whether it is the 405, Sepulveda, Lincoln, Centinella, or Pacific/Neilson/Ocean, it is crowded commute with lots of lights and congestion.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM

199 posts, read 546,142 times
I love Santa Monica so would rec it to you. I also want to echo what BRinSM mentioned about LA not being like any of the major east coast cities. Have you been out here? If not, it really will be a big change. Given that you need to be somewhat close to El Segundo, imo, living in Santa Monica with its beaches, shopping, etc., would ease the transition for you and make it more likely that you'll be happy here.

Best of luck to both of you.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
However, Santa Monica to El Segundo by bike is a breeze, if that is an option

Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
I commute from SM to El Segundo daily. Its not "quick" but far from painful. It takes me about 15 minutes via the 405 in the morning (I get to work around 7, so i typically beat traffic). Coming home, Centinella is my route .... usually 30-40 minutes.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i had to commute from marina del rey to el segundo a few times, 15 minutes each way using lincoln/sepulveda. i work in santa monica now, about the half distance as the drive to el segundo, and my drive is 20 minutes, so go figure.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
lincoln is the problem ..... avoid at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles