U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.35%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 207 70.65%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 04:07 PM

676 posts, read 2,931,513 times

Advertisements

I personally think CA will soon be a place of just upper class and lower class. I don't know why it isn't being addressed more because I see it as a huge problem. I am sure the rich will start complaining once their mail is late because postal workers can't live here, they will cry out in outrage when they have an emergency and 911 operators put them on hold, their mansions will burn because firefighters can't come in a timely manner, when their car is stolen or estate broken into the few police force left in the area will be delayed breaking up street violence, their children won't have adequate teachers (private school teachers are paid even less than public school teachers!), they are neglected during their hospital stay because there is a nursing shortage, etc. However, the rich won't have a shortage of dishwashers, bussers, gardeners and maids to take care of them. Once their little world becomes more affected by the flight of educated, middle-class workers, maybe then the problem will be addressed. I have to say, CA is experiencing a great loss of a dynamic part of their population and at this rate, it won't be too long until there is a crisis. We have the nice weather, beaches, mountains, fun tourist spots, but it has become easier for me to give up now that I have seen what kind of life I can have in another state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2006, 05:43 AM

48 posts, read 250,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
Once their little world becomes more affected by the flight of educated, middle-class workers, maybe then the problem will be addressed. I have to say, CA is experiencing a great loss of a dynamic part of their population and at this rate, it won't be too long until there is a crisis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2
Is Cali inching toward a place so sharply defined by the haves and the have nots that social and political turmoil won't boil over again into the streets.
I wish I could say otherwise, but based on everything I've seen in CA and especially L.A., I have to agree with you there. Something's gotta give, and I've begun to wonder how much worse it'll get before people will just lose it and start rioting again or something. It's a scary thought but not that farfetched. Look what happened in Paris just recently due to the elitism there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
We have the nice weather, beaches, mountains, fun tourist spots, but it has become easier for me to give up now that I have seen what kind of life I can have in another state.
I know exactly what you mean. We took a trip across the U.S. and Canada a few months back... and seeing how much better the quality of life is elsewhere made us realize just how unnecessary it is to put up with all the b.s. here. Nice weather, beaches, mountains, and touristy stuff are great, but there comes a point when you are putting up with so much craziness that NOTHING is enough to compensate and you'd gladly sacrifice all of it if you had to. Happily, you don't. These things can be found in many other places other than CA, sometimes all in the same area just like they are here. It's a big world.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:17 AM

436 posts, read 589,618 times
Default Double post

I apologize to the readers of my recent post here which contained a second, repetitive paragraph. It appears that City-Forums edit function becomes unuseable while trying to edit ones post at some point - this point was reached for me, hence the repetition which I could not correct.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:58 AM

15 posts, read 233,402 times
Default everyone

We are thinking of relocating to CA (Ventura) from Houston, TX. My question is this far enough away from LA to be able to live safely. We are going to rent a house from a friend. We own a house now and this kinda sucks. He is law enforcement and myself nursing. Can we afford to live comfortably in CA? Our other option is CO. The weather has swayed my husband towards CA.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenerd
We are thinking of relocating to CA (Ventura) from Houston, TX. My question is this far enough away from LA to be able to live safely. We are going to rent a house from a friend. We own a house now and this kinda sucks. He is law enforcement and myself nursing. Can we afford to live comfortably in CA? Our other option is CO. The weather has swayed my husband towards CA.
I know I answered you in another post, but a big YES to your question about if Ventura is far enough away from LA to be safe. We have some of the same problems as far as high cost of living, some gang violence in Oxnard (just south of Ventura and there is really no need to go to the bad parts of Oxnard), a little graffiti, and sections of traffic on the HWY101, but otherwise it is like night and day of LA. We don't have bugs or bad weather, but it comes with a big price tag with the price of our houses! You will probably live fine as long as you are renting from a friend. I know I just recently heard on the news that Santa Barbara has a big law enforcement shortage because no one can afford to work and live there. Ventura is a manageable 30 mile commute from SB, especially if you can avoid the typical 8-5 workday which will help with traffic. It is mostly along the coast, so at least the drive is nice!! They are having the same problem with nurses living in SB. It may be easier to find jobs there. Just a thought. I know I had left a sarcastic post earlier about the plight of those industries and the affects it will have on the communities since it is so hard to afford to live here with those type of jobs, but it may actually be to your benefit if you get a good deal on your friend's house since those jobs are tougher to fill in SB!

Last edited by enlightenme; 06-25-2006 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2006, 08:14 PM

Default enlightenme

hey thanks for the advice. I've always wanted CO. But my husband talked me into CA. I don't know if I want to always rent. I like having my own home. Is the recreation realy that good out there?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
hey thanks for the advice. I've always wanted CO. But my husband talked me into CA. I don't know if I want to always rent. I like having my own home. Is the recreation realy that good out there?
I think the thing I am going to miss the most is the outdoor recreation. We love to go hiking and long walks on the beach. There are nice lakes, mountains and beaches all near Ventura. The weather allows for it almost year round. But, once again, I would much rather leave this behind if it means owning a nice home for a decent price. It will be really hard to enjoy ourselves when we are sick from stress and working two jobs to afford a fixer upper for over $600K
I say, maybe try it for a couple of years since you won't have too much to lose with your rental, and then do the old "I told you so" to your husband when he becomes fed up with the high home prices and tired of renting. You will probably be in CO before you know it!! You can probably make it look like you are the good, supportive wife too! See? compromise Plus, it is a pretty darn nice place to be in limbo before you get to your dream home.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:38 PM

186 posts, read 804,872 times
Quote:
CA is has the best combination of weather, recreation, jobs, and entertainment in the world practically. It has its down falls of course though.

If you want your own home and want to raise a family, DO NOT COME TO LA UNLESS YOU MAKE A COMBINED 175K! If you do, LA is GREAT, if not, then.....

Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 PM

48 posts, read 250,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe
CA is has the best combination of weather, recreation, jobs, and entertainment in the world practically. It has its down falls of course though.

If you want your own home and want to raise a family, DO NOT COME TO LA UNLESS YOU MAKE A COMBINED 175K! If you do, LA is GREAT, if not, then.....
Sound advice. Seriously, read the rest of this thread if you haven't already. Look at the photos of the h-llholes that middle class L.A. neighborhoods have become. If you don't make quite a bit of money or have a few hundred thousand in savings/equity, you will have to live under terrible conditions and you will live to regret the decision to move here. Move in haste, repent at leisure...

Old 06-26-2006, 08:44 PM

Default ms. phitt

Thanks. No one told me anything I didn't already suspect. Well I think for now moving to CA is out of the question. I'm hoping the CO job comes through. Thanks for the help. Goodluck to everyone in finding your DREAM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles