U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 86 29.35%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 207 70.65%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 02:11 PM

186 posts, read 806,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Phitt
I wish I could say otherwise, but based on everything I've seen in CA and especially L.A., I have to agree with you there. Something's gotta give, and I've begun to wonder how much worse it'll get before people will just lose it and start rioting again or something. It's a scary thought but not that farfetched. Look what happened in Paris just recently due to the elitism there.

I know exactly what you mean. We took a trip across the U.S. and Canada a few months back... and seeing how much better the quality of life is elsewhere made us realize just how unnecessary it is to put up with all the b.s. here. Nice weather, beaches, mountains, and touristy stuff are great, but there comes a point when you are putting up with so much craziness that NOTHING is enough to compensate and you'd gladly sacrifice all of it if you had to. Happily, you don't. These things can be found in many other places other than CA, sometimes all in the same area just like they are here. It's a big world.

Really? I have yet to see a place like CA. Chicago, miami, and toronto are the only places I saw that could compare to living in CA reasonably enough. Chicago is WAY too cold, miami is hurricane alley, and I dont have a canadian citizenship.

Are there any other places?

Arizona - too hot
Seattle - too wet
Texas - too texas (except san antonio)
denver - ???

Anyhow, I would have to find a much better place to live and work if I were to move. I went to school for 8 years (undergrad, grad, and more grad) and if I moved to another city, I would have to start a whole different career and go back to school, which I suppose isnt too bad, and I would have to move thousands of miles away from my family and friends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2006, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 145,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
Pt. 2 of L.A. gangs:
NORTH EAST LA
TOONERVILLE, GLENDALE-ATWATER-TUJUNGA:JOKERS, LOS CRAZY VAGOS, NIGHT OWLS, LOMITA ST LOCOS, CHEVY CHASE PARK LOCOS, ATWATER LOCOS, DUKES, TOKERS, TINY LOCOS, YOUNGSTERS
WS THEE RASCALS, ATWATER
AVENUES AVENIDAS, EAGLE ROCK- HIGHLAND PARK- CYPRESS PARK- GLASSELL PARK- MT. WASHINGTON: CYPRESS CHICOS-ASESINOS-DREW ST, 43RD AVE, 50AVE, 60AVE, CYCLONES, NIGHT OWLS
YES BUT THEIRS ALOT OF THINGS WRONG ON THAT LIST. ALOT OF THOSE GANGS ARE NOT AROUND NO MORE AND THOSE ARE GANGS SPREAD OUT THROUHOUT THE WHOLE CITY

Last edited by Marka; 07-03-2006 at 12:52 AM..

Old 07-02-2006, 09:48 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,348,497 times
Then go to http://www.lapdonline.org/crime_maps_and_compstat
which is the L.A.P.D. (Police Dept.) website to check out their crime maps for yourself. I haven't had much luck re-finding the overall gang map of all of L.A., so at least this site will take to you to individual areas of interest to you.

And that was my point. Just as you stated above, the gangs are spread out throughout the whole city. Thank you!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:01 AM

8 posts, read 145,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
Then go to http://www.lapdonline.org/crime_maps_and_compstat
which is the L.A.P.D. (Police Dept.) website to check out their crime maps for yourself. I haven't had much luck re-finding the overall gang map of all of L.A., so at least this site will take to you to individual areas of interest to you.

And that was my point. Just as you stated above, the gangs are spread out throughout the whole city. Thank you!

I'm a gang expert that studies gang history in Southern California. I agree that their is gangs throughout the whole city. Just that, certain areas are less active than others. That "atwater Thee Rascals" area for example is a more safe upper class area. Eagle Rocks the same.
The places of LA to stay away from the most is WATTS, or anywhere in South Central. These are the most dangerous areas.
As far as a gang map for the whole city, good luck on that. People have tried to make one but its hard to get an accurate one, Alonso from Streetgangs.com tried to make some for the "Crips and the Bloods"..Its the closest you'll get. But thats only a small percentage of all the LA gangs.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:50 PM

19 posts, read 89,733 times
I dont' think it's fair to generalize a city area of over 4 million people as all rich, illegal, or violent.

I'm not stupid either, it's just that I get incredibly tired of hearing how LA is such a horrible area, when other large urban areas all over the country are just as bad, just not as notorious.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:21 PM

107 posts, read 702,687 times
It may not sound fair, but it's true. Check out some of the other forums here, you'll find that dangerous areas are confined to "bad" areas in other urban centers. Key word here is "confined." All of L.A. is gang territory, except for gated mountain/beach enclaves of the Rich and Ridiculous. I for one am tired of this!

Old 07-29-2006, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,596 times
Can anyone tell me something about Palmdale? We live in Florida but want to move to Palmdale in about 2 month. My daughter picked Palmdale as the place for us to live due to it's proximity to Los Angeles and her work. We (mother and her three little sisters) are following her out west. Is Palmdale fairly nice with good schools and hopefully low crimerate? I am reading as much as I can on sites I find on the Internet but want to hear from people who live there. Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 11:25 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,348,497 times
There are many threads here about Palmdale, so-titled. Try 'em out.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:43 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,224,382 times
Palmdale is Awful, with a capital A. In theory it's in close promixity to LA but the 14 and 5 are so bottled up that a commute from Palmdale to downtown LA or the westside is 1 1/2 hours each way minimum. The crime is terrible it's often referred to as Palmton a play on words combining Palmdale and Compton. It's relatively cheap so all the mexican gangs moved out there not to mention trailer trash rednecks who have made it, along with neighbor town Lancaster top 10 cities for crystal meth production. You'll find some nice homes and shopping centers but it's in the hot dusty, dirty desert. Palmdale sucks. That's the non sugarcoated truth for ya. Valencia/Santa Clarita is 100x's nicer, a little closer but more expensive.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:26 PM

19 posts, read 89,733 times
Default Wildly untrue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfinchum
I dont' think it's fair to generalize a city area of over 4 million people as all rich, illegal, or violent.

I'm not stupid either, it's just that I get incredibly tired of hearing how LA is such a horrible area, when other large urban areas all over the country are just as bad, just not as notorious.
Someone, (well, a lot of someones) gave me a poor rating due to this post, and yet only one of you could muster up a comment to leave instead of just bashing me.
"Wildly Untrue statements with no evidence to back up."

Okay...which part is wildly untrue? The part about the way I feel, or the part about the way I think? LOL

Like I said, I'm not stupid, and I understand that LA is quite a dangerous place to live, but that fact doesn't make any other large towns any safer. And I'm very sorry it didn't occur to me to post any "evidence" to baback up, ck that statement up, but I thought it was pretty much general knowledge. You can check city-datas top 100 for a little back up, but please, don't stop there.

If you don't agree with me about LA, that is totally fine! I really don't care. But to give me a poor rating about the way I feel about something?! That's just silly.

I know I'll probably end up being banned for this one, but it's totally worth it. I do hope to respond though, to let me know which part of my statement, about what I FEEL and THINK is wildly untrue. I'd love to defend myself to you some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles